The Lane Johnson Controversy

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Most of the explanations for Johnson's false starts are from Eagles fans, writers, or apologists.

Here is the rule: "It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

Lane Johnson's leg kick, as they call it, is the beginning of his backpeddle. It is absolutely the simulation of the start of the play. If he does this before the center moves the ball to snap it, then it is absolutely a false start and should be flagged. There is no exception to this rule as Eagles fans claim. As we have seen many times, even the slighted move before the snap by an offensive linemen once the line is set results in a false start. It is ridiculous to argue that a center or even running back who wobbles less than an inch commits a penalty but Lane Johnson moving his back leg up into the air before the snap is not.

I would love to know why the league does not throw a flag on him when he does this.

At the same time, I wonder if his leg kick tips off the defense that a pass is coming. Does he do this every play or just on pass plays. Seems to me if a run is called his first step would be different.
I watched some of the plays 49ers fans complained about. It wasn’t just his back leg. Both hands often move significantly as well, and all before the ball moves.

Redline360

Reaction score
Let's not get carried away. Johnson is a great player without this advantage. But like I said before, you give a great player like this a 1/2 step advantage into his pass-set, it's virtually impossible to beat him.
Not disagreeing at all. Just bad wording on my part

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My post from the other thread:

Here is an explanation from Lane Johnson himself. He looks at what he sees from Kelce and leg kicks based on that so it does appear he's moving before the ball because he is, but he's not moving before Kelce starts the snap. If what Kelce does before the ball actually moves is considered part of the snap, similar to the pump of a long snapper before launching the ball between his legs, it's not a false start. I have to think many teams have brought it up and that Johnson has talked to officials himself so he doesn't get called. What's funny is no one talks about how Guards, including Martin, point forward before the snap while set to signal to the Center to snap the ball and that's not considered a false start. Obviously, officials allow that move to benefit the OL. Maybe it's similar with Johnson. Would love to hear a ref weigh in on his move.

Pointing isn't making your release any faster.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This is something that’s easy to see. Watch it in slow motion and many times he moves before the ball moves.

Sometimes I’m sure he times it perfect. They need to call it when he doesn’t. It’s simple.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is something that’s easy to see. Watch it in slow motion and many times he moves before the ball moves.

Sometimes I’m sure he times it perfect. They need to call it when he doesn’t. It’s simple.
I think the above is right, some are early and some look early.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.
I think 9ers fans are worse. Not only their fans, but the actual team cried for months after the NFCCG. I always thought it was corny when people called them the "whiners", but it fits.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Pointing isn't making your release any faster.
The "point" of it is that refs obviously allow certain things to slide to benefit the OL so perhaps allowing a leg kick on the twitch of the Center snapping the ball is something they allow as well. I'm sure teams have talked to refs about it. Where people are getting mixed up is looking for ball movement. The rules don't mention the ball moving, they say snap. Perhaps what Johnson says he looks for out of Kelce is considered part of the snap without the ball moving. That's why officiating needs to weigh in on why this is allowed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The "point" of it is that refs obviously allow certain things to slide to benefit the OL so perhaps allowing a leg kick on the twitch of the Center snapping the ball is something they allow as well. I'm sure teams have talked to refs about it. Where people are getting mixed up is looking for ball movement. The rules don't mention the ball moving, they say snap. Perhaps what Johnson says he looks for out of Kelce is considered part of the snap without the ball moving. That's why officiating needs to weigh in on why this is allowed.
Too much gray area to judge in my opinion. I think if there were less for them to judge it would speed things up. How about no movement before the actual snap, which is from start to finish, no fake-outs :lmao:

Swanny

Reaction score
It’s been all over Twitter this week. Lane Johnson false starting on nearly every play. Eagles fans claim it’s a loophole and the RT is allowed to adjust his right leg. But Johnson’s whole body moves before the snap quite often.

I hope all the negative attention benefits us this weekend!

Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.
Philly is the worst fan base not because they whine (all fan bases whine). They are the worst fan base because they are so hostile and hostile in violent ways.

Redline360

Reaction score
Now you know for damn sure if the defensive player jumped aswell as soon as he moved his leg before the ball is snapped it would be an auto flag on the defense. Can't have it both ways.

Hate how they want to ban a play(tush push) because one team perfected it but won't even look at a guy clearly moving before the ball is snapped. Even with probably hundreds of examples of him moving beforehand. Absolutely bonkers imo

Creeper

Reaction score
Not true, as I said, SI did an article on this and talked to Andrew Whitworth and Geoff Schwarz who both basically said it's legal as the rules are written and that Johnson has gotten really good at his timing with Kelce. And if you watch, there are clearly plays where it looks like he moves first but if you slow it down, you can see Kelce move the ball. But there are also times when he clearly moved before the ball is moved but they have gotten so good at it (and other OTs do it too) that the league just lets it go.
What's not true? I posted the rule. A player cannot move to simulate a snap.

Johnson's leg movement is the beginning of his back-peddle. How is that not simulating a snap?

I read the SI analysis and was not convinced. I saw other articles picking apart the SI analysis. The SI article quotes other offensive linemen who talk about Johnson's speed. Who knows in what context these quotes were given? I am not suggesting he is not a good OT or that he is not quick. But the SI article doesn't even quote the rule or any players who think he is jumping early. The article does not provide even one of the many videos online that clearly show Johnson moves before the ball is snapped and he does not get called. The author refers to Johnson's critics like this: "Online, there is another familiar refrain of calls from the slow-motion police and referee watchers." and he seems to suggest Johnson moves so fast that Kelce is actually snapping the ball but somehow Johnson is moving in between the time when our eyes cannot perceive movement!

I don't think Johnson leaves early on every play, but I do think he leaves early several times in a game. Knowing he won't get called for it is an enormous advantage for him as he can comfortably guess the snap count without worrying about a flag. He got flagged against the 49ers, but he moved so early the refs had no choice but to flag him.

Then, what about other players? What other OTs are given this leeway? Have you ever seen Tyron move early and not get called? Other linemen just flinch and they get flagged. People are only asking for the rule to applied as written to all players the same way. If a QB can be flagged for a false start for jerking his hands or bobbing his head too much, then shouldn't refs expect OTs to stay still too?

The fact is by rule once set a player cannot move unless he is an eligible receiver going in motion.

What makes this even more galling is how defensive players are flagged for offsides because they get a good jump even though they are not in the neutral zone.

If Johnson is as good as everyone says he is then he doesn't need to leave early. He should be able to wait for the snap like everyone else and then be in position to block his guy.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Funny that any criticisim of the Refs and/or the league is labeled by some here as "Conspiracy theory" when the explanation of the thing itself turns out to be whackier and worse.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
That’s a false start and it’s not even close and should be called. Heck the first game of the season and first play of the season should have been flagged, that OL did the same thing.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Most of the explanations for Johnson's false starts are from Eagles fans, writers, or apologists.

Here is the rule: "It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

Lane Johnson's leg kick, as they call it, is the beginning of his backpeddle. It is absolutely the simulation of the start of the play. If he does this before the center moves the ball to snap it, then it is absolutely a false start and should be flagged. There is no exception to this rule as Eagles fans claim. As we have seen many times, even the slighted move before the snap by an offensive linemen once the line is set results in a false start. It is ridiculous to argue that a center or even running back who wobbles less than an inch commits a penalty but Lane Johnson moving his back leg up into the air before the snap is not.

I would love to know why the league does not throw a flag on him when he does this.

At the same time, I wonder if his leg kick tips off the defense that a pass is coming. Does he do this every play or just on pass plays. Seems to me if a run is called his first step would be different.
Is there an unusual number of offsides penalties called against Eagles’ opponents? The proof it simulates the start of a play would be defenses thinking the play has started. If it doesn’t draw the defense offsides it obviously does not simulate the start of a play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The DE needs to fire off the instant that leg starts to move. Seems like it could be advantage to the DE.

Heck, that side of the d-line should just key on Johnson's leg.
As long as the officials are willing to keep the offsides flags in their pockets when a defensive player jumps because of the movement, I'm fine with that. Unfortunately, I doubt they will be.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Philly fans talk about how a rear leg is allowed to be adjusted but I don't see it in the rulebook. That's why I want to hear a ref weigh in because that playclock example I just mentioned isn't in the rulebook either but is known among teams as a "neighborhood play," to use a baseball reference. Maybe this is too. Maybe the broadcasters will actually research and mention it one day.
I think, regarding the play clock, since the official can't see both things at once, he has to give benefit of the doubt that the ball was moving prior to, or simultaneously with the clock.

Adiba1977

Reaction score
He’s leaving 1/2 second early lot those snaps. It’s false start. They need to call it. Unfair advantage and no idea why the league is ignoring it.

Nav22

Reaction score
My post from the other thread:

Here is an explanation from Lane Johnson himself. He looks at what he sees from Kelce and leg kicks based on that so it does appear he's moving before the ball because he is, but he's not moving before Kelce starts the snap. If what Kelce does before the ball actually moves is considered part of the snap, similar to the pump of a long snapper before launching the ball between his legs, it's not a false start. I have to think many teams have brought it up and that Johnson has talked to officials himself so he doesn't get called. What's funny is no one talks about how Guards, including Martin, point forward before the snap while set to signal to the Center to snap the ball and that's not considered a false start. Obviously, officials allow that move to benefit the OL. Maybe it's similar with Johnson. Would love to hear a ref weigh in on his move.

Couple funny things from this clip:

1) Johnson freely admits he does go early sometimes.

2) The clowns interviewing him trying their hardest to justify it. "Yeah all the best tackles do it, like Trent Williams"... NO, THEY LITERALLY DON'T.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nav22

Reaction score
He was called for a false start last week, and clearly it was a false start. I believe when he does false start the referees flag him just like any other offensive lineman. I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists that say he jumps early every snap, and the refs let him do it.
He jumped an hour early when they FINALLY were forced to call one on him.

He absolutely jumps early on almost every snap, and the Eagles are a cheating POS team that gets away with it.

Call it whatever you want: you're insane if you think a Cowboys OT would be afforded that same leeway.