The media... was I wrong?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
All this time I've been thinking that their main purpose has been to create stories/controversy with all this TO crap.

But could it be that maybe, just maybe, that they're really just ... dumb?

I think it was Jen that said something about TO being a distraction. When was this? Was she trying to coax Parcells into saying something she could "use" in a story to "juice" it up, or is she really that completely stupid to think that missing a rehab session and being late to a meeting is actually being a distraction?

When I was at midwestern I was late to a few rehab sessions myself. Was even late to a meeting once and also missed a study hour. I never thought of myself as a distraction. I don't think the team even knew I was missing/late.

I'd have to think the same thing with TO. He was late to a rehab session, big freakin' deal. I'm not saying it's ok to be late all the time, but once in a while? Gimme a break. A distraction? You've got to be kidding me.

Now one time, when I was at Sul Ross, we had a guy go ballistic (actually there were two separate times with two different players) and start cussing at the coaches and challenging them to fights ... and this was DURING practice. To this day I don't even know what the hell he was crying about, but THAT was a distraction. There wasn't an eyeball on that field that wasn't directed at that player (his name was Diamond Rogers. Yes, his moronic parents named him "Diamond"). There was also another time when a RB wanted to fight the RBs coach, but that wasn't as much of a distraction cuz we all knew he was an idiot and the coach would of ended him.

ANyway, back to the original question... do the mediots actually think a player being late to a rehab session is a distraction, or are they just trying to create a story?

Maybe I've been giving their intelligence too much credit. Maybe they really are just that stupid.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yes they are trying for headlines and to create a story and YES they are STUPID.

DBoys

Reaction score
Rack said:
All this time I've been thinking that their main purpose has been to create stories/controversy with all this TO crap.

I think it was Jen that said something about TO being a distraction. When was this? Was she trying to coax Parcells into saying something she could "use" in a story to "juice" it up, or is she really that completely stupid to think that missing a rehab session and being late to a meeting is actually being a distraction?

When I was at midwestern I was late to a few rehab sessions myself. Was even late to a meeting once and also missed a study hour. I never thought of myself as a distraction. I don't think the team even knew I was missing/late.

I'd have to think the same thing with TO. He was late to a rehab session, big freakin' deal. I'm not saying it's ok to be late all the time, but once in a while? Gimme a break. A distraction? You've got to be kidding me.

Now one time, when I was at Sul Ross, we had a guy go ballistic (actually there were two separate times with two different players) and start cussing at the coaches and challenging them to fights ... and this was DURING practice. To this day I don't even know what the hell he was crying about, but THAT was a distraction. There wasn't an eyeball on that field that wasn't directed at that player (his name was Diamond Rogers. Yes, his moronic parents named him "Diamond"). There was also another time when a RB wanted to fight the RBs coach, but that wasn't as much of a distraction cuz we all knew he was an idiot and the coach would of ended him.

ANyway, back to the original question... do the mediots actually think a player being late to a rehab session is a distraction, or are they just trying to create a story?

Maybe I've been giving their intelligence too much credit. Maybe they really are just that stupid.

Good post Rack and I think any former player will agree with you. It wasn't until I started listening to the PC for myself that I started to realize the media are liars. The only guy I feel is honest is Spags.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Good post Rack and I think any former player will agree with you. It wasn't until I started listening to the PC for myself that I started to realize the media are liars. The only guy I feel is honest is Spags.

Spags isn't honest either. He's just a company man.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I actually think that Spags even as a company guy is more honest. Of course that is damning with faint praise.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
rawr

wow Rack, you surprised me. You made a point im in agreement with. What has happened to you :D

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Not dumb, just lazy.

Why spend time paying attention to games, replaying footage to guage how well the team is coming together, Analyzing players on the bubble to give the fans genuine insight into the team, when you can just announce over and over TO soundbites and "controversy".

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
They are that stupid. There's a reason MSM is dying. There's a reason papers like the NYTimes spill national secrets. Or CBS fakes up documents from Kinkos. They have an agenda. They need to create something that sells.

Unfortunately, TO sells. The media don't want to hear about Steve Smith missing practice, unless he punches Keyshawn in the mouth. TO has a history, plus you've got Jerry & Bill with their perceived reputations--the media are salivating over the idea of something blowing up. That's why we've heard 3+ years of "Jerry & Bill can't get along."

If you look at Galloway's blog, he's confidently predicting that "Valley Ranch is about to erupt."

The sad reality is THAT is what becomes the distraction. It's not TO, it's the reporters sticking their mics in players' faces & asking them about TO. I'd start to get pretty peeved about someone if I was constantly being asked about them too--so the media are also trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Unfortunately, this is going to continue until TO starts catching passes on the field in a regular season game--& we win. Mark it down. Every time we lose, the media will make it TO's fault. But if we can win more than we lose & get into the playoffs, even win a playoff game, this will stop.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
rawr

wow Rack, you surprised me. You made a point im in agreement with. What has happened to you :D

Nothing has happened to me. Maybe you're just finally getting wiser?

;)

The sad reality is THAT is what becomes the distraction. It's not TO, it's the reporters sticking their mics in players' faces & asking them about TO. I'd start to get pretty peeved about someone if I was constantly being asked about them too--so the media are also trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

:hammer:

Post of the day.

It is ironic that the media has been more of a distraction to the cowboys then TO. You think if the media hadn't reported it that any player on the roster would care if TO was late to a rehab session? Hell, even with them reporting it, you think they care?

The only people that care are the ignorant fools (yes, that includes some cowboys fans) that are buying into the media garbage.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas is taking a chance on TO even Jones admits we are taking a chance. When he says chance I don't think he means talent, we all know TO has talent and this ideal of well once he scores 2 or 3 TD people will change their minds about him? How shallow do you think some of us are? How he conducts himself on this team and getting along with his teammates matters at least to some of us. This issue with TO has never, I repeat never has been about his ability to play the game. Jones would not have shelled out that type of cash if there was a question about his talent level, on the other hand he would not have set up a series of 3 1 year deals for TO if conduct was not an issue.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
It would also stop if TO would just quit giving the media fodder. The quotes and fines by themselves are nothing to freak about but it allows the media to jump all over the situation. If he would just say I'm working to get back as soon as possible and stay out of the spotlight for a while the attention would go to something else. Like maybe the Panthers scandal.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Rack said:

Cris Carter said the same thing and I made the same point when the story first broke.

Alarming enough players across the country are late and paying whatever fines or penance, yet it is hardly a story. The media is dumb hence the term mediots has been coined in their honor. Just like Bruce Lee said, They are looking at the finger and missing all of the heavenly glory in their haste to break the "TO/Dallas Cowboy Fallout Story".

AtlCB

Reaction score
Rack said:
Spags isn't honest either. He's just a company man.

Spags is still honest. I remember that members of the board would give Spags a hard time about being so hard on QC.

If he was a strict company man, he would have signed off on QC. He never did.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
AtlCB said:
Spags is still honest. I remember that members of the board would give Spags a hard time about being so hard on QC.

If he was a strict company man, he would have signed off on QC. He never did.

thats because he had a man love for hutch, who got cut to

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Sadly, the media witchhunt is working. My brother is a Vikes fan (hates the Boys with a passion because of what they did to the Vikes many moons ago), & we got together over the weekend. He assured me that we're going 3-13 because of TO & his "look at 10 years worth of film" comment that kept replaying on ESPN.

burmafrd

Reaction score
So who care what the fans think, or anyone else? what matters is what the team does on the field- and this means nothing to them.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Rack said:

Midwestern State in Wichita Falls?

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I think at this point with the media, they've got too much invested to stop. Think about it--they've spent every day since TO was signed, screaming about what a bad signing it was & how it will destroy the team. If that doesn't happen--if we do well during the season & make the playoffs--then they look foolish. They have to do everything possible to ensure that they are able to trumpet "I told you so" at the end.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
They are that stupid. There's a reason MSM is dying. There's a reason papers like the NYTimes spill national secrets. Or CBS fakes up documents from Kinkos. They have an agenda. They need to create something that sells.

Unfortunately, TO sells. The media don't want to hear about Steve Smith missing practice, unless he punches Keyshawn in the mouth. TO has a history, plus you've got Jerry & Bill with their perceived reputations--the media are salivating over the idea of something blowing up. That's why we've heard 3+ years of "Jerry & Bill can't get along."

If you look at Galloway's blog, he's confidently predicting that "Valley Ranch is about to erupt."

Unfortunately, this is going to continue until TO starts catching passes on the field in a regular season game--& we win. Mark it down. Every time we lose, the media will make it TO's fault. But if we can win more than we lose & get into the playoffs, even win a playoff game, this will stop.

What sells more papers, blaming everything on George W. Bush or blaming everything on Terrell Owens.

Never thought those two would have so much in common. Media whipping boys.