The media... was I wrong?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Did I say that?

You think it's a SHOCK to Jerry that Owens brings alot of attention and publicity to the organization?

You seem to have a problem embracing the fact that along with the good publicity, Owens will also garner some bad publicity. It seems in your opinion, the good stuff, he's responsible for and the bad stuff is the media's fault.

I just don't get Jerry's "masterplan" you speak of to garner extra attention

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I just don't get Jerry's "masterplan" you speak of to garner extra attention

No master plan.

Jerry loves publicity.

This team hasn't been in the news this much in a decade.

I personally think Jerry saw that Owens would being attention to the Cowboys.

No master plan.

Marketing plan? Yes.

Master plan? Nah.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Now it's 3 meetings!?! I thought he was late for a meeting and late or missed a rehab session? What media outlet do you work for? Could your sources please confirm? :rolleyes:

A distinction without a difference. He missed a players meeting and failed to meet his trainers. Happy?

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
Rack, I was about to post the same thing about the media, and you beat me to it. I'm not goin read all the previous posts, no time, probably agree with most, but the media sucks and has no depth.

no research, take shallow ground for headlines (drive by media). I watched Babe sunday nigh(which I like to watch for some reason) spend way too much time trying to create controvsery. Shallow reporting, trying to create news.

Media,,, GET THIS! QUIT CREATING STUFF! WE SEE THRU YOU! BILL AND ALL OF US DO! MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE THE *******ES YOU ARE!!!!!!

you are not geniouses, christ, REPORT!!!!!!! NOT CREATE NEWS!!

that is,,, your job.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Jerry loves publicity.

I know Jerry loves publicity, but I don't think he's loving this, and we're already a very marketable team, guess we'll never agree on this one :D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I know Jerry loves publicity, but I don't think he's loving this, and we're already a very marketable team, guess we'll never agree on this one :D

That's my point. Ya can't separate out the two kinds of publicity. Ya get Owens, ya get all of this stuff too. And even if it's not "fair" or media generated, it's not a surprise that it's happening.

And marketable is a relative term. Ya know, Jerry reminds me of the one about the farmer who says "I don't want ALL the land, only the land next to mine" There's never enough publicity.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I actually like Mickey Spagnola out of all the local media personalities. The only time I had a problem with Mick, was just before Aikman retired when he was stinking up the field, he would not admit that it was time for Aikman to go.

Other than that, Mickey is a good guy, and yes he's a company man, but he's on our side for sure.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
That's my point. Ya can't separate out the two kinds of publicity. Ya get Owens, ya get all of this stuff too. And even if it's not "fair" or media generated, it's not a surprise that it's happening.

I got that part, and if you look closely, you can see that I have no problem with the negative attention, just I would like if some people on here, and elsewhere, would take it with a grain of salt

Juke99 said:
And marketable is a relative term. Ya know, Jerry reminds me of the one about the farmer who says "I don't want ALL the land, only the land next to mine" There's never enough publicity.

true dat, but in the end, I think it's just Jerry trying to win football games, esp. a Super BOwl...or 2 ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I got that part, and if you look closely, you can see that I have no problem with the negative attention, just I would like if some people on here, and elsewhere, would take it with a grain of salt

true dat, but in the end, I think it's just Jerry trying to win football games, esp. a Super BOwl...or 2 ;)

I dunno...I've always thought that Jerry is about business first, football second.

As far as the negative attention, I'm just blown away that people are up in arms about it. I mean, what did everyone expect?

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

Do I think Jerry and Bill knew they were gonna get some of this kinda stuff with TO? You bet.

Do I think they mind the negative publicity it generates? Not really and here's why.

I think they both are just cocky enough to think they are gonna write the last chapter of this soap opera. And I think they're right. The fact that the media has helped TO write the 1st chapter in this manner, will make the ending they are looking for taste that much sweeter.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Do I think Jerry and Bill knew they were gonna get some of this kinda stuff with TO? You bet.

Do I think they mind the negative publicity it generates? Not really and here's why.

I think they both are just cocky enough to think they are gonna write the last chapter of this soap opera. And I think they're right. The fact that the media has helped TO write the 1st chapter in this manner, will make the ending they are looking for taste that much sweeter.

I think they, Jerry and Bill, have a model for making a relationship work between two large egos.

They have done a great job of that.

Now, whether or not Owens can fit, I guess we'll find out.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I dunno...I've always thought that Jerry is about business first, football second.

that may be so, but he's driven to win, that's why TO is here

Juke99 said:
As far as the negative attention, I'm just blown away that people are up in arms about it. I mean, what did everyone expect?

I'm not up in arms, I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate if you will ;)

Angus

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I agree with Juke on this.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
I believe the stocky black guy was Jean Jacques Taylor. He's the one who made BP say "Do you think I'm dumb?"
thanks... didn't realize THAT was JJT.

i have to rewatch the first 13 minutes for comic relief.... this is classic stuff folks :)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
heh, I always thought JJT was a white guy, I guess I should have know since he has a name with Jacques in it

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Marketing plan? Yes.

Master plan? Nah.
Blah... this bothers x1000 you more than JJ/TO/Tuna combined.

his master plan is letting Tuna put us in a couple of superbowls.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I think they, Jerry and Bill, have a model for making a relationship work between two large egos.

They have done a great job of that.

Now, whether or not Owens can fit, I guess we'll find out.

That's the really the whole thing in a nut shell isn't it? How does this story end?
Because in the end none of this crap that's happening now means a thing if Parcells and Jerry are right. They'll come out looking like geniuses and will have forever one uped the naysayers.

I think it was certainly a calculated risk they've taken acquiring TO, but I personally like the chances of this working out. This is Tuna's ballgame right here, he's built for TO's attitude like no other coach. Truth is I think he kinda likes prima donnas cause he's abit of one himself.

He has an uncanny ability to tap into the psychy of these types of players. The guys he's had in the past who have been TOesque if you will, have been the very same players he's had some of his best relationships with. I just like our chances and think it's funny how so many want to run for the escape pod before the story has really gotten interesting.

I mean JFE calling for TO to get cut for what's gone on so far? How are people ever supposed to look at her as a respected journalist again after writing that garbage. Talk about abandoning ship, Jesus.

In the end I appreciate the duo swinging for the fences and not being afraid to fail.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
They'll come out looking like geniuses and will have forever one uped the naysayers.

you mean 2-upped? they still are proving the media wrong about their relationship

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you mean 2-upped? they still are proving the media wrong about their relationship

Yes sir you are correct.

You know what let me count the ways the media are going to be wrong this offseason in regard to the Cowboys. Here are some of the more comical meanderings -

1) They wouldn't be shocked if TO doesn't make it to the opener as a Cowboy

2) Vandy's in danger of getting cut (I know it was a false report that Silverbear so excellently handled)

3) Romo will suplant Bledsoe as the starter by game 1

How anyone can have any level of respect for some of these morons after witnessing their shenanigans this offseason is beyond me, regardless of your feelings on TO.

By the way I don't like him either. I just think this is gonna work, and that's what matters most to me.