The media... was I wrong?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
they are a super dumb collection of chatterboxes

who is that dolt sitting in the adjacent table to parcells left with dark hair.

also who is the short/stocky black guy sitting center asking a lot of questions always?

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I've got a slightly different take on this.

Not only do I think this hasn't been a distraction, I think it's drawn controversial focus away from players that might have otherwise had the spotlight in their eyes instead. These are the Cowboys. The press always finds things to scrutinize to ad nauseam where they are concerned. It's just this year their scrutiny is more focused in one place, TO.

It's certainly not because they don't have other storylines to look at either. How much have you heard about Davis getting shot lately? How bout Ellis and his displeasure with how he was being used to start traing camp? Has anyone questioned JJ's durability or RW's failures in coverage lately? Where are all the questions about what many think to be a suspect Oline? The Bledsoe, Romo deal got a little play nationally, but not near as much as it would have if the media were not completely enthralled with what color TO's stool is.

It's all about perspective. The truth is from the big picture vantage point is that this whole circus hasn't done one thing to damage the team. Not one. It would be nice for a change if a few people would open up their curtains and take a gandor at the way things look out there. There's alot of sunshine around Valley Ranch these days. The people who insist there's a hurricane on the horizon aren't looking out the same window as me.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
I've got a slightly different take on this.

Not only do I think this hasn't been a distraction, I think it's drawn controversial focus away from players that might have otherwise had the spotlight in their eyes instead. These are the Cowboys. The press always finds things to scrutinize to ad nauseam where they are concerned. It's just this year their scrutiny is more focused in one place, TO.

It's certainly not because they don't have other storylines to look at either. How much have you heard about Davis getting shot lately? How bout Ellis and his displeasure with how he was being used to start traing camp? Has anyone questioned JJ's durability or RW's failures in coverage lately? Where are all the questions about what many think to be a suspect Oline? The Bledsoe, Romo deal got a little play nationally, but not near as much as it would have if the media were not completely enthralled with what color TO's stool is.

It's all about perspective. The truth is from the big picture vantage point is that this whole circus hasn't done one thing to damage the team. Not one. It would be nice for a change if a few people would open up their curtains and take a gandor at the way things look out there. There's alot of sunshine around Valley Ranch these days. The people who insist there's a hurricane on the horizon aren't looking out the same window as me.

Well put. I agree for the most part.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Did you guys see on ''the hot list'' they titled it ''TROUBLE IN BIG D'' , wow..amazin how they make such a big deal.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
chinch said:
they are a super dumb collection of chatterboxes

who is that dolt sitting in the adjacent table to parcells left with dark hair.

also who is the short/stocky black guy sitting center asking a lot of questions always?

I believe the stocky black guy was Jean Jacques Taylor. He's the one who made BP say "Do you think I'm dumb?"

booker

Reaction score
kØwbØy said:
Did you guys see on ''the hot list'' they titled it ''TROUBLE IN BIG D'' , wow..amazin how they make such a big deal.

Yes,then the "Parcells vs Owens" segment.Typical media bs when you take into consideration what both men had just said.Whats with the VS or do I even have to ask any more?

:bang2:

ddh33

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I think at this point with the media, they've got too much invested to stop. Think about it--they've spent every day since TO was signed, screaming about what a bad signing it was & how it will destroy the team. If that doesn't happen--if we do well during the season & make the playoffs--then they look foolish. They have to do everything possible to ensure that they are able to trumpet "I told you so" at the end.

I agree. I think that's why we continue to hear crap about how Bill and Jerry are on the outs with each other. They just can't let things go...

I keep saying it, but they write the story beforehand, and then they spend all of their time trying to prove their preconceived, faulty conclusions.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ANyway, back to the original question... do the mediots actually think a player being late to a rehab session is a distraction, or are they just trying to create a story?

Maybe I've been giving their intelligence too much credit. Maybe they really are just that stupid.

Holy crap, are you serious? The press is gloating today and they deserve to. This is their "I told you" moment, even though it came a little sooner than expected. But the media-haters just refuse to face reality. A player like TO missing all or parts of three meetings IS A BIG DEAL. UNDERSTAND? The press didn't make him oversleep three times. Did you expect JJT to sit on this information? Considering TO's reputation as a team-wrecker, was it not eminently newsworthy? Did he not tell the fans at the press conference that he was a changed man? Looks like the same old crap to me. Bottom line: if he was doing this to the Skins, you'd be laughing your *** off and lauding the press coverage. Stop spinning and start worrying.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Did you play with Dominic Rhodes??

No he got there 2-3 years after I was gone. I was there one season with Bryan Gilmore though.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
The media this...the media that...

I dunno...my take on it is, this is exactly what Jerry wanted. Let's not forget that Jerry Jones is a businessman and a marketing guy before he is a football guy.

He's always loved big names....he got one of the biggest.

I am pretty sure he was salivating at the idea of all the press Owens would bring the Cowboys.

Well Jerry, ya got it. Congrats.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
They are that stupid. There's a reason MSM is dying. There's a reason papers like the NYTimes spill national secrets. Or CBS fakes up documents from Kinkos. They have an agenda. They need to create something that sells.

Unfortunately, TO sells. The media don't want to hear about Steve Smith missing practice, unless he punches Keyshawn in the mouth. TO has a history, plus you've got Jerry & Bill with their perceived reputations--the media are salivating over the idea of something blowing up. That's why we've heard 3+ years of "Jerry & Bill can't get along."

If you look at Galloway's blog, he's confidently predicting that "Valley Ranch is about to erupt."

The sad reality is THAT is what becomes the distraction. It's not TO, it's the reporters sticking their mics in players' faces & asking them about TO. I'd start to get pretty peeved about someone if I was constantly being asked about them too--so the media are also trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Unfortunately, this is going to continue until TO starts catching passes on the field in a regular season game--& we win. Mark it down. Every time we lose, the media will make it TO's fault. But if we can win more than we lose & get into the playoffs, even win a playoff game, this will stop.

:hammer: great points all around

and honestly, I don't even think the media is being a distraction, maybe to the insecure fans on here, but not to the team

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I think at this point with the media, they've got too much invested to stop. Think about it--they've spent every day since TO was signed, screaming about what a bad signing it was & how it will destroy the team. If that doesn't happen--if we do well during the season & make the playoffs--then they look foolish. They have to do everything possible to ensure that they are able to trumpet "I told you so" at the end.

it's funny, since when they're proven wrong on a subject, they go the congratulatory route and act like they never said anything of the sort, only to bring it up at the littlest hint of trouble, like the "JJ and BP can't coexist" angle, it was silenced until TO came here, and BIll didn't say a word until much after the fact...I take whatever the media says w/ a grain of salt, I really do

Kilyin

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Holy crap, are you serious? The press is gloating today and they deserve to. This is their "I told you" moment, even though it came a little sooner than expected. But the media-haters just refuse to face reality. A player like TO missing all or parts of three meetings IS A BIG DEAL. UNDERSTAND? The press didn't make him oversleep three times. Did you expect JJT to sit on this information? Considering TO's reputation as a team-wrecker, was it not eminently newsworthy? Did he not tell the fans at the press conference that he was a changed man? Looks like the same old crap to me. Bottom line: if he was doing this to the Skins, you'd be laughing your *** off and lauding the press coverage. Stop spinning and start worrying.

confused.gif

:rake:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Well Jerry, ya got it. Congrats.

yeah, Jerry planned all this out, he whispers in TO's ear that he should do something controversial, and then leaks it, and threatens to fire who did, because he knows he did it, so noone will get fired, and he gets the attention that he so desperately craves

:rolleyes:

Jerry just wants to win, TO is going to help him in that capacity, it's the Dallas Cowboys, they dont' need TO to get attention

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Rack said:
No he got there 2-3 years after I was gone. I was there one season with Bryan Gilmore though.

Ahh, I see. I grew up in Vernon and went to school at ACU, so I kinda kept track of MSU and some of the players in the area. Rhodes went to high school at Abilene Cooper, so it's pretty cool seeing him starting for the Colts.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Now it's 3 meetings!?! I thought he was late for a meeting and late or missed a rehab session? What media outlet do you work for? Could your sources please confirm? :rolleyes:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yeah, Jerry planned all this out, he whispers in TO's ear that he should do something controversial, and then leaks it, and threatens to fire who did, because he knows he did it, so noone will get fired, and he gets the attention that he so desperately craves

:rolleyes:

Jerry just wants to win, TO is going to help him in that capacity, it's the Dallas Cowboys, they dont' need TO to get attention

Did I say that?

You think it's a SHOCK to Jerry that Owens brings alot of attention and publicity to the organization?

You seem to have a problem embracing the fact that along with the good publicity, Owens will also garner some bad publicity. It seems in your opinion, the good stuff, he's responsible for and the bad stuff is the media's fault.