CFZ The Mike McCarthy conundrum!

cmoney23

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with Big Mike.

Here's why.

To start the year, he insisted on running a very outdated version of his West Coast offense. Quick passing game, run heavy, 90s offense that was rather pedestrian.

They got smoked by the 9ers with it, BUT he changed. He went much more heavy with Brian Schottenheimer's offense, that features TE's and a more vertical passing game. Similar to what you saw in Seattle with Russ but he is truely letting Dak "Cook".

This offense is so, soooo, much better that Kellen's. Especially mid game. In season's past we'd be great on our first 15 of the 1/2 but really stall out mid game. This offense is always attacking. I love it. Watching the QB school and the all 22, it's really impressive on how they are attacking defenses and Dak is really humming along with it.

But for all that positive from Big Mike, he still makes TERRIBLE decisions with "in-game management". e.g. Passing up on FGs when he should take the points, passing when he should run, clock management stuff, just bone head stuff that will cost us in the playoffs or against good teams.

I know other teams hire guys to help the HC with this stuff, do we not have someone, can we get someone?

It's a real killer!

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Also kicking the extra-point instead of going for 2 to tie the game at 28 at the end of the 3rd. I know what they say about hindsight. But with the way it played out that extra-point could've helped in the end. If we failed on that 2-point conversion, a TD and a made extra-point still beats you. If we go for 2 and had made it, a TD and a made extra point sends it into OT.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Here's why.

To start the year, he insisted on running a very outdated version of his West Coast offense. Quick passing game, run heavy, 90s offense that was rather pedestrian.

They got smoked by the 9ers with it, BUT he changed. He went much more heavy with Brian Schottenheimer's offense, that features TE's and a more vertical passing game. Similar to what you saw in Seattle with Russ but he is truely letting Dak "Cook".

This offense is so, soooo, much better that Kellen's. Especially mid game. In season's past we'd be great on our first 15 of the 1/2 but really stall out mid game. This offense is always attacking. I love it. Watching the QB school and the all 22, it's really impressive on how they are attacking defenses and Dak is really humming along with it.

But for all that positive from Big Mike, he still makes TERRIBLE decisions with "in-game management". e.g. Passing up on FGs when he should take the points, passing when he should run, clock management stuff, just bone head stuff that will cost us in the playoffs or against good teams.

I know other teams hire guys to help the HC with this stuff, do we not have someone, can we get someone?

It's a real killer!
It's tough !
That clock management stuff can be a fatal flaw.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Also kicking the extra-point instead of going for 2 to tie the game at 28 at the end of the 3rd. I know what they say about hindsight. But with the way it played out that extra-point could've helped in the end. If we failed on that 2-point conversion, a TD and a made extra-point still beats you. If we go for 2 and had made it, a TD and a made extra point sends it into OT.
Agreed , he should have gone for 2 points end of the third quarter.
This HC and team seems to struggle with attention to details.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I wonder sometimes if people ever follow other teams or check in with their fans. There is not a team in this league whose fans don't feel their coaches botch gametime decisions. Andy Reid has made a CAREER of timeout and clock mismanagement.
I disagree that the decisions to go for it vs. take the points were wrong. The offense was cooking. The only decisions I don't like was not going for 2 pts and the throw at the end of the game, otherwise he coached fine.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It would be more of a problem if there was no logic to the decisions.

There's very easy explanations for all of the time management

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes if people ever follow other teams or check in with their fans. There is not a team in this league whose fans don't feel their coaches botch gametime decisions. Andy Reid has made a CAREER of timeout and clock mismanagement.
I disagree that the decisions to go for it vs. take the points were wrong. The offense was cooking. The only decisions I don't like was not going for 2 pts and the throw at the end of the game, otherwise he coached fine.
Not sure about the decision to go for it instead of kicking the FG when we were down 27-28 either.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Not sure about the decision to go for it instead of kicking the FG when we were down 27-28 either.
I'm 100% on board with that decision. By then, the defense has not made a significant stop. Your offense has been cooking and 4th and 2 is totally management. The benefit of getting more plays, TOP, keeping their offense off and potentially a TD drive to me outweigh the benefit of a 2 pt lead. I don't love the play call, but frankly it was a fine call with a bad result (drop).

It's like hitting on 16 when the dealer shows 10 or face. Yeah it sucks and often you are going to lose but you have to be aggressive there.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The call to pass to CeeDee on 3rd down on our last drive instead of taking time off the clock to get it down close to a minute really irritated me. Seahags had no timeouts. Dumb, just really ****** dumb.

boysfanindc

Reaction score

Here's why.

It's a real killer!
Could not agree more.

75boyz

Reaction score
His in game decision making has been a popular topic for discussion in several other CZ threads today.
I do not understand how he can make some of the most basically fundamental coaching errors with regards to situational awareness, time management, choice of plays called and of course, the continued team penalties.(lack of discipline)
Some of these are just really head scratching common sense blunders.
The impact of these mistakes will become more exposed the brighter the lights get.
As in playoffs.
My confidence in him leading us on a deep postseason run is low.

jmo

75boyz

Reaction score
The call to pass to CeeDee on 3rd down on our last drive instead of taking time off the clock to get it down close to a minute really irritated me. Seahags had no timeouts. Dumb, just really ****** dumb.
Beyond dumb.

stiletto

Reaction score
The players seem to like him and play for him, unlike the dreadful clappy-clown Garrett. At least MM has that going for him. Some of his game management things drive me nuts also. Agreed on that part.

silvernblu

Reaction score

Here's why.

It's a real killer!
When you play blackjack. You only notice when someone doesn’t make the right move ahead of you if it doesn’t work out for you.

If he makes the wrong move and takes your 10 when you are hitting on 12 you kind of just ignore it.

When he takes your 10 when you double on 11 you get pissed.

Same thing. You forget the 4th downs they convert that you feel is the wrong move. And focus on the ones that don’t work.

When I’m playing 1:1 with dealer I can be more free to follow my gut and I do better.

silvernblu

Reaction score
The players seem to like him and play for him, unlike the dreadful clappy-clown Garrett. At least MM has that going for him. Some of his game management things drive me nuts also. Agreed on that part.
Clappy clown lol

With the red hair!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
I think he made the right call on that. How many times have teams gone for two to tie the game up in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, not gotten it, and then found themselves down by 2 after scoring a TD at the end of a game? It happens all the time. Unless there's a penalty that moves the ball to the 1 yard line, there's really no point in going for 2 early in a game.