The more I look, the more I like

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stasheroo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

59,579 Messages
    64,980 Likes Received
    Before I get into the meat of this thread, let me preface by saying that it was not created to try to stir up the vigorous debate and arguments from the initial thread that featured the name Case Keenum. But in looking over the guy's career and body of work, I continue to find him an intriguing option to put into the mix for this team.

I'm not saying 'he's better than Dak', so nobody get the wrong impression or your panties in a bunch!

What I am saying, is that hes easily better than Cooper Rush, and somewhere in between Dak level and Rush level.

And what does interest me is in signing Keenum, for two reasons:
    1. To give this team a better backup quarterback, someone who has and can win games if needed. Rush has never shown that ability.
    2. To give this team some measure of fallback option if things did take a bad turn in Dak negotiations. If Dak were to hold out, or somehow force a trade, the cupboard for the Cowboys isn't completely bare.
    Based on Keenum's 2019 salary and standing, I think the guy could be had on a multi-year deal in the $4 - $5 million range, at most.

And he proved that on a good team, he can win, and get you to an NFC Championship Game, if the pieces are there around him.

And again, before anyone gets it twisted, nobody is saying the guy is a world beater. But take some time yourself and take a look at his career, college and pros. I think he makes more a decent, highly-affordable option.

Thoughts?

(Here's to hoping I haven't reopened Pandora's box!)

blueblood70, garyv, basel90 and 31 others like this.
  2. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

17,493 Messages
    19,767 Likes Received
    I would love to sign Keenum as our backup/backup plan.

ghst187, Vanilla2, Hadenough and 15 others like this.
  3. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

6,453 Messages
    10,345 Likes Received
    Are we talking about replacing Dak with Keemun??? If so here is the positive - Keenum can play and is one of those guys like Fitzpatrick that is better than his reputation. He is not a JAG. I do think you can win with him but over a short time frame. I think his shelf life is short and and DCs will figure out how to shut him down. He does represent better value than Dak but value is not going to win it all especially with a team built to win now. Over the next 3 years with Dak Dallas has a shot. Over the next 3 years with Keenum you can get 9 wins and a WC and then have to replace him.

I wonder how fans would feel about Dak if Jerry did not hand terrible contracts to DLaw and Zeke.

I still think they need to sign Dak. More Wenz like contract and not Wilson.

Runwildboys, Melonfeud and CouchCoach like this.
  4. Direwolf63

Direwolf63 RXP

12,999 Messages
    19,231 Likes Received
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I'd like to see what McCarthy and Moore can do with Josh Rosen.

He was a first round pick for a reason. He has skills. Was behind a horrible o-line in Arizona. Poor coaching in Miami. Needs to be coached up big time. Still on a rookie deal.

Let him learn and develop while Dak plays on his franchise tag (if he signs it).

Let the slamming begin.

5. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

13,777 Messages
    7,241 Likes Received
    Does Keenum accept hes more of a back up?

Techsass likes this.
  6. kskboys

17,493 Messages
    19,767 Likes Received
    I'm fine w/ bringing in Rosen if he's cheap.

Thing is, he hasn't looked bad, he's looked terrible.

7. stasheroo

59,579 Messages
    64,980 Likes Received
    I won't slam you, but I'm curious as to the remaining numbers on his deal?

kskboys likes this.
  8. stasheroo

59,579 Messages
    64,980 Likes Received
    As mentioned above better than I did, as the backup/backup plan in case things were to go south in Prescott negotiations.

Whyjerry likes this.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

77,995 Messages
    48,896 Likes Received
    Case Keenum better than Cooper Rush?

[​IMG]

10. kskboys

17,493 Messages
    19,767 Likes Received
    They really shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Runwildboys likes this.
  11. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

14,302 Messages
    11,847 Likes Received
    He’s better than rush and he’s a FA so no picks to get him
    Don’t see any problem with upgrading your backup
    I’m curious if there is an option with WC experience or does case have experience in WC
    Backup QB who knows the system MM runs seems like an additional teacher and a good idea

12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

49,525 Messages
    43,792 Likes Received
    I’d rather draft..

Keenum is good enough to kind of keep us where we are.

jjktkk, pjtoadie, Mrrogerius and 2 others like this.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

30,543 Messages
    43,708 Likes Received
    Guys like Keenum, Dalton, and Tannehill could do very well with this offensive personnel.

leeblair, Hadenough, Rockdoc and 5 others like this.
  14. Direwolf63

Direwolf63 RXP

12,999 Messages
    19,231 Likes Received
    His cap numbers are $2.1M and $2.9M for the next 2 years.

As a first rounder, there is the 5th year option, which is unlikely unless his career does a 180.

15. Direwolf63

Direwolf63 RXP

12,999 Messages
    19,231 Likes Received
    I agree he has not been good. He was beat out by Fitzpatrick last year.

But is it because he's a bad player? Or was he in bad situations? I don't know. Maybe a guy like McCarthy can bring out the best in him. And if he flashes in the preseason and Dak is still the guy, maybe get a draft pick for him, like the Packers did a few times over the years.

He was a first round pick for a reason. And he's cheap.

pjtoadie and Captain-Crash like this.
  16. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Well-Known Member

1,601 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I don't think Rush has gotten a in season opportunity to show what he can really do as a starter in this league. So he is a unknown entity in that regards. Having said that I would be ecstatic if Case Keenum would sign here as a backup qb. I like his known abilities in playing in this league and think he would be able to more than drive the bus if his services were needed. Go get him Jerry!

17. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

9,273 Messages
    13,491 Likes Received
    Why is anyone bringing up Rosen? Miami owns his rights, and they are not going to simply give him away. So, might as well forget about him ever coming here, especially just as a backup. It's not happening.

As for Case Keenum, how much would it cost to sign him? Plus, would he be ok being Dak's backup?

18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

31,881 Messages
    11,604 Likes Received
    Don’t see how he could accept he’s anything more than a backup when he could playing for his 6th team in 10 seasons. If he’s not back in Washington next season that will be the third team in 3 straight seasons he went one and done with. He was 1-7 last season and got benched for a rookie. He’s 6-17 as a starting QB the last two seasons. The way he’s bouncing around the league he may end up in the XFL before long. It’s mind boggling how many Cowboy fans would rather have Keenum as the teams starting QB over Dak.

19. CowboyFanInLexKy

CowboyFanInLexKy Well-Known Member

496 Messages
    393 Likes Received
    I'd actually be onboard with this in case the Dak drama goes south. I'm all for signing Dak. Just not for no 40 mil..... But if things work out, I wouldn't mind having Keenum as our backup instead of Rush....

20. Direwolf63

Direwolf63 RXP

12,999 Messages
    19,231 Likes Received
    Miami will draft a QB and very likely keeping Fitzpatrick as a backup, if not a starter if Tua redshirts, leaving Rosen expendable.

But carry on.

pjtoadie, Captain-Crash and Melonfeud like this.