The more I look, the more I like

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Before I get into the meat of this thread, let me preface by saying that it was not created to try to stir up the vigorous debate and arguments from the initial thread that featured the name Case Keenum. But in looking over the guy's career and body of work, I continue to find him an intriguing option to put into the mix for this team.

I'm not saying 'he's better than Dak', so nobody get the wrong impression or your panties in a bunch!

What I am saying, is that hes easily better than Cooper Rush, and somewhere in between Dak level and Rush level.

And what does interest me is in signing Keenum, for two reasons:
  1. To give this team a better backup quarterback, someone who has and can win games if needed. Rush has never shown that ability.
  2. To give this team some measure of fallback option if things did take a bad turn in Dak negotiations. If Dak were to hold out, or somehow force a trade, the cupboard for the Cowboys isn't completely bare.
Based on Keenum's 2019 salary and standing, I think the guy could be had on a multi-year deal in the $4 - $5 million range, at most.

And he proved that on a good team, he can win, and get you to an NFC Championship Game, if the pieces are there around him.

And again, before anyone gets it twisted, nobody is saying the guy is a world beater. But take some time yourself and take a look at his career, college and pros. I think he makes more a decent, highly-affordable option.

Thoughts?

(Here's to hoping I haven't reopened Pandora's box!)

For a backup plan, get a QB who can run, and run him like a rented mule. Which he is. We're not married to a Case Keenum. Or any QB we don't have long term money in.

The backup plan to "We've got our franchise QB" is churning running QBs on the cheap. Give up some passing game, get more QB running game, save a lot of money. The more you churn, the more chances you get to find a great one.

Developing QBs plural should be a never ending goal. They're worth a ton, and we've done pretty well getting them on the cheap. We should work that winning investment strategy more.

I suspect that you don't get top QBs out of the early rounds largely because of the massive sunk cost in top QBs keeps later round QBs off the field and off the team. Of course they're *better* on *average* than later round guys. But later round guys are so much cheaper, so much more plentiful, and have more gems that a dedicated program can discover and polish that are just being kept off the field.

SSoup

Reaction score
Put on a blindfold, spin around ten times, and throw a rock. You'll probably hit someone better than Cooper Rush. I agree Keenum is better than Rush too, I just don't think we need to spend several million on someone like that.

I don't like that his yards per attempt is usually in the 6's. And I don't like that he's mostly been a loser. Of the 5 times in his career he started half or more of his team's games, he posted a losing record in 4 of those seasons. Do I want to spend millions on a backup who will lose? Eh, not really. Someone making league minimum can manage that too.

If we want a veteran backup, I'd prefer one who is more of a winner. Or one who spent time with McCarthy. Or one who is younger than 32.

But, really, I'd rather just draft a QB in the low mid-rounds and let the coaches develop them into a good backup.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd have no objection to signing Keenum as our backup, providing he was willing to settle for being one. Much would depend upon whether Jerry and Stephen would be able to settle upon a desirable contract, of course. I do believe he's a step up from Rush and would be a decent backup for Dak if he got injured and had to be replaced for an extended period.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Again, you cut down Keenum and try to prop up Rush? Good luck!

I admit that I don't have a very high opinion of Keenum, actually a bad one, but I'm not trying to prop up Rush. I'm only pointing out that you, me, everybody has nothing to base a statement of he's a never was and never going to be since he's had zero snaps in a regular season game. You absolutely zero to base that on. I don't know how good or bad he might be and won't until or if he ever gets some regular season snaps. You keep trying to prop up Keenum who had 1 good season in 8 and has been on 7 different teams. It doesn't matter what position it is, good players don't have 7 teams in 8 years.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Why don't you find the other 2 people in the Keenum fan club and then the three of you can cry together.

The Dallas Cowboys don't do things right -- many things. One of them is not bringing in any competition remotely close to the starting quarterback. Because in Dallas once you are anointed and 'made' that's it it's a done deal you will be 7+ years with one QB, no one ever brought in to either compete or as a proper backup. That's how you build a losing franchise.

Hey you can stack me in with Stasheroo on this one I know where he is going with this.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think Case is interested in being on a roster where he doesn't at least get to compete for the starting QB job at training camp. That won't happen if he were to sign on in Dallas. However, He would be an upgrade over Cooper Rush. There is almost no chance he would come to the Cowboys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys don't do things right -- many things. One of them is not bringing in any competition remotely close to the starting quarterback. Because in Dallas once you are anointed and 'made' that's it it's a done deal you will be 7+ years with one QB, no one ever brought in to either compete or as a proper backup. That's how you build a losing franchise.

Hey you can stack me in with Stasheroo on this one I know where he is going with this.

Do you have any idea how foolish you sound? Name all the QB's that the team regard as their FRANCHISE QB for the future that have competition for that job? Teams that aren't sure of their QB have competition but Jerry, Stephen, McCarthy and Nussmeier are all sure who they want as the QB. I also find it funny, not ha ha funny, that some here have made up their minds on Rush even though he hasn't taken a regular season snap YET. How quick we forget that Prescott as a rookie went to camp as the 3rd string QB and before opening weekend he was the starter do to injuries, but the Cowboys went 13 - 3 and Prescott was the NFL offensive rookie of the year. I don't know whether Rush will be any good or not but I'm willing to both trust professional coaches and also wait and see what he might do with the starters in a regular season game before I pronounce he as anything. There's an old saying that goes if you have two QB's and can't decide then you really don't have any. Fortunately for the Cowboys they have decided who their QB is. If you were smart you really wouldn't want to be included with stasheroo on this. Keenum has had 1 good season in 8 seasons and has been with 7 teams. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Before I get into the meat of this thread, let me preface by saying that it was not created to try to stir up the vigorous debate and arguments from the initial thread that featured the name Case Keenum. But in looking over the guy's career and body of work, I continue to find him an intriguing option to put into the mix for this team.

I'm not saying 'he's better than Dak', so nobody get the wrong impression or your panties in a bunch!

What I am saying, is that hes easily better than Cooper Rush, and somewhere in between Dak level and Rush level.

And what does interest me is in signing Keenum, for two reasons:
  1. To give this team a better backup quarterback, someone who has and can win games if needed. Rush has never shown that ability.
  2. To give this team some measure of fallback option if things did take a bad turn in Dak negotiations. If Dak were to hold out, or somehow force a trade, the cupboard for the Cowboys isn't completely bare.
Based on Keenum's 2019 salary and standing, I think the guy could be had on a multi-year deal in the $4 - $5 million range, at most.

And he proved that on a good team, he can win, and get you to an NFC Championship Game, if the pieces are there around him.

And again, before anyone gets it twisted, nobody is saying the guy is a world beater. But take some time yourself and take a look at his career, college and pros. I think he makes more a decent, highly-affordable option.

Thoughts?

(Here's to hoping I haven't reopened Pandora's box!)

This team has a good backup QB.
Its time to find a starter.

PS: I opened the box for you ;p

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't you find the other 2 people in the Keenum fan club and then the three of you can cry together.

Cant figure out why people are talking about this, yet here he is again. For about the 8th time in this thread? Thanks for putting your hypocrisy out there on full display.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I can’t wait to see Rush in preseason to see if he has improved. He may surprise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I admit that I don't have a very high opinion of Keenum, actually a bad one, but I'm not trying to prop up Rush. I'm only pointing out that you, me, everybody has nothing to base a statement of he's a never was and never going to be since he's had zero snaps in a regular season game. You absolutely zero to base that on.

I have a:

• Non-description college career at Central Michigan
  • A guy that's looked worse the longer he's been here
  • Another failed backup quarterback under the Garrett regime. We have quite a list

I don't know how good or bad he might be and won't until or if he ever gets some regular season snaps. You keep trying to prop up Keenum who had 1 good season in 8 and has been on 7 different teams. It doesn't matter what position it is, good players don't have 7 teams in 8 years.

And if not for the Garrett-led Cowboys, or actually having to play, Cooper Rush wouldn't have any.

Hilarious how you'll try to bash the D1 leader in yards and TD passes and all you can come back with is that 'Cooper Rush hasn't actually sucked during a regular season game'.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you have any idea how foolish you sound? Name all the QB's that the team regard as their FRANCHISE QB for the future that have competition for that job? Teams that aren't sure of their QB have competition but Jerry, Stephen, McCarthy and Nussmeier are all sure who they want as the QB. I also find it funny, not ha ha funny, that some here have made up their minds on Rush even though he hasn't taken a regular season snap YET. How quick we forget that Prescott as a rookie went to camp as the 3rd string QB and before opening weekend he was the starter do to injuries, but the Cowboys went 13 - 3 and Prescott was the NFL offensive rookie of the year. I don't know whether Rush will be any good or not but I'm willing to both trust professional coaches and also wait and see what he might do with the starters in a regular season game before I pronounce he as anything. There's an old saying that goes if you have two QB's and can't decide then you really don't have any. Fortunately for the Cowboys they have decided who their QB is. If you were smart you really wouldn't want to be included with stasheroo on this. Keenum has had 1 good season in 8 seasons and has been with 7 teams. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

It clearly tells the simpletons all they need to know. They don't look into where he's played, with what teams, or what coaches. And then try to ignore the fact that he did help to take a team to a 13-3 record and the NFC Championship Game. You can cover your own eyes, but nobody else's. Or that the guy threw for 384 yards and 3 TD's in week one against the Eagles last year. Let me know when your boy Cooper Rush does that, OK?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Brett Hundley, was the guy Dak was compared to in one of his scouting reports. I guess we should pick him up, and we could have two of the same guys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brett Hundley, was the guy Dak was compared to in one of his scouting reports. I guess we should pick him up, and we could have two of the same guys?

I wonder if McCarthy has any interest in reuniting with Hundley? The Packers actually swapped him out for Deshone Kizer, remember him?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I wonder if McCarthy has any interest in reuniting with Hundley? The Packers actually swapped him out for Deshone Kizer, remember him?
yep, very interesting. I wonder if mike would consider going after him since he knows a lot about him.