CFZ The murky thinking behind the Trey Lance trade

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I missed all the glowing reports, from the coaches and players, about how well Lance is progressing at McCartleys' QB School. Can someone lead me to some links for my reading pleasure?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Agree on talent level, but the OP and subsiquent thread is querying why, as we're a team that 're-signs and drafts', spent a 4th Rd pick for two years of a back-up QB.....especially when many claim that Lance wouldn't push the needle if Dak went down.

He's a FA in 2025. That's not developmental, especially when we're extending Dak, probably long term as that's the only contract we can afford (due to the outstanding deferred CAP).
and there in lies the problem. we have to decide if we are going to pick up his 5th year option which keeps him under contract in 2025. Jerry cornered himself.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Head coach Mike McCarthy gave some insight into Lance’s development, revealing that Lance’s mechanical work is done at “quarterback school,” a pre-practice session that happens in the indoor facility Ford Center at The Star.

“The nice thing is he’s working right with Dak and Cooper,” McCarthy said. “It’s important for the other quarterbacks in the room to emulate the starter. You can see, as they go through the drills, his footwork is getting closer and closer to those guys.”

Chasing6

Reaction score
While I don't think it's the direction they will go.... there are real scenarios out there where we can leave Dak's contract alone. We can squeeze his number into the salary cap and keep the team mostly in tact. We won't add much of anything and maybe lose someone like Dorance Armstrong.

That should be a very real possibility they are looking at. It will not take $25M to hold on to Trey Lance in 2025. It may take less than half of that. You trade Rush for a late round pick, and go into the season with Lance as the backup. Lance plays virtually every snap of the preseason. You put in a package for him during the season as well. If he plays well you expand that. At the end of the season... if Dak is insistent on the record setting $60M contract we've seen thrown out there, you go with Lance for $15M or so per.

Dak can choose if he wants to forfeit the tax advantages of Texas and all the Dallas Cowboys endorsements or take a team friendlier deal. Trey Lance knows the endorsement and tax free situation in Texas. He won't get an equivalent deal elsewhere with little to no starting experience. If at that point you want to stick with Dak at a more palatable number, you can let Trey walk or tag him just to trade him for possibly a 2nd or more. In that scenario you've acquired contract leverage against Dak and made a return on your 4th round pick.

There could be a real scenario out there where Trey Lance at $15M per with $45M in extra cap room is better than Dak at $60M and we're up against the cap. There is also a scenario where this trade limits Dak's bargaining power and returns us more draft capital.
No one from the Cowboys staff is talking about Trance. No one from the media is talking about Trance. Only Cowboy fans that have Dak Derangement Syndrome.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There could be teams that might consider Rush if they lost or benched their starter if he became a free agent. I should have clarified as a replacement or interim starting quarterback. I was thinking of him being a journeyman type quarterback. I agree that he is not a long term starting quarterback, he is talent limited but competent enough to help you win a handful of games at best.
Rush is a legitimate back up QB. He has proven his value. When we let him go, because of Trance's $5M guarantee, Rush will be picked up fairly quickly.

starfan1

Reaction score
Rush is a legitimate back up QB. He has proven his value. When we let him go, because of Trance's $5M guarantee, Rush will be picked up fairly quickly.
hes a cerebral QB his physical traits leave much to be desired

Mikexike

Reaction score
Who was the emergency QB all year long???
Obviously it was Lance, But you thinking he didn't learn anything being on the sideline is a joke. Just curious, Have you played any team sports that was worth a damn thing?

Mikexike

Reaction score
No one from the Cowboys staff is talking about Trance. No one from the media is talking about Trance. Only Cowboy fans that have Dak Derangement Syndrome.
Why would they need to talk about him for? He isn't the starter or backup as you have stated.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'd keep Trey and see what he has. Younger-bigger upside then Rush. Plus Jerrrr spent a 4th round on him.:facepalm: Only logical thing to do is to see how deep or shallow is his upside. Tricky if Dak goes down without Rush but it's no guarantee he'll win the games. He does have a track record but Dak probably is gone soon so better find out if Trey is the man or not.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I do believe he is, you think he is playing grab *** the whole time?
Trance sitting is not going to help him. He sat in HS, and played basically 1 year college. He has been sitting his entire career.

4 years in HS, 4 years in college and going on his 4th year in the NFL and he has played a total of 2 years. 2 years out of 12.

He has already been sitting and watching for a long time.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Trance sitting is not going to help him. He sat in HS, and played basically 1 year college. He has been sitting his entire career.

4 years in HS, 4 years in college and going on his 4th year in the NFL and he has played a total of 2 years. 2 years out of 12.

He has already been sitting and watching for a long time.
Here you go again with hs and college. Are you just a really depressed SF fan trying to troll anyone that would like to see lance succeed?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Nah, he's right. Lance didn't play enough at 16 years old so he is forever irrelevant.
Why is it hard to understand?

How many starting QB's in the NFL did not get a scholarship in college?

If he is such a gifted athlete, how come he did not play much at any level?

Then all of a sudden he is a NFL starting QB???