The next few months with Dak are going to interesting

Sydla

Reaction score
As we all know, he's in the last year of his contract and has a massive cap hit of nearly $60MM. As the regular season was rolling, the accepted belief was that Jerry/Stephen would extend him and lower that cap hit for 2024. But then the playoff happened. And now, you are seeing some people wonder if Jerry will, in fact, extend him or rather, like McCarthy, let him play out the year on that last year almost as a try out.

Now, Dak could end up playing at his cap number in 2024 either because Jerry didn't want to extend him OR Dak and his agent were just over the top in any negotiations. If it's Jerry that decides to hold off on an extension, whew boy, that's giant neon sign about what Jerry really thinks about Dak. There is no chance you let what you think is a franchise QB play out his final year unless you have some doubts.

Not extending Dak also has a trickle down effect. Because with our cap situation, if Dak can't provide cap savings, then you are going to have to find it elsewhere which means likely restructuring guys you normally would avoid and/or you go cheaper than you normally do in FA. You likely end up with a roster worse than this one.

I believe he'll get extended. But if he doesn't whew boy, that's going to be interesting times around this board.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
As we all know, he's in the last year of his contract and has a massive cap hit of nearly $60MM. As the regular season was rolling, the accepted belief was that Jerry/Stephen would extend him and lower that cap hit for 2024. But then the playoff happened. And now, you are seeing some people wonder if Jerry will, in fact, extend him or rather, like McCarthy, let him play out the year on that last year almost as a try out.

Now, Dak could end up playing at his cap number in 2024 either because Jerry didn't want to extend him OR Dak and his agent were just over the top in any negotiations. If it's Jerry that decides to hold off on an extension, whew boy, that's giant neon sign about what Jerry really thinks about Dak. There is no chance you let what you think is a franchise QB play out his final year unless you have some doubts.

Not extending Dak also has a trickle down effect. Because with our cap situation, if Dak can't provide cap savings, then you are going to have to find it elsewhere which means likely restructuring guys you normally would avoid and/or you go cheaper than you normally do in FA. You likely end up with a roster worse than this one.

I believe he'll get extended. But if he doesn't whew boy, that's going to be interesting times around this board.
he will be extended no doubt about that

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nah, the next few months of meltdown from you haters is going to be truly interesting.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
It feels like Jerry is souring on Dak. But then again, we also thought he was souring on McCarthy when he said "we'll see how each game goes", and then didn't blink after a historic collapse all while a few coaching carrots were out there dangling.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nah, the next few months of meltdown from you haters is going to be truly interesting.
You mean the next few months of us pointing out that nothing has changed from previous years?

We all know that deep down you know many of us are/were right. You probably also admit, deep down, that bringing back McCarthy is probably just another wasted year. But you struggle to admit many of these realities. Your brain is wired to accept and defend whatever Jerry shovels at you.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah,
I'd rather see a bottom out implosion by this year's team to force change at QB but next year's class is no where near this year's talent level imo.
With that being said, it would be better to pick one this year but with this Front Office's reactive vice proactive approach to addressing player needs, and specifically QB, I'm not too confident.
And no I don't quantify Lance as addressing that need.

Guess I should have added the caveat "provided we don't extend Dak"

jmo

Sydla

Reaction score
Really? Why? . . . Other then The Old Jerry is an Idiot or is that the only reason

Is there a benefit? Are you in Favor of it? Or are you just a Realist?
Well, I mean they are going to be looking to create cap space and Dak's new deal would provide a heavy chunk of it. And it's quite possible, even likely, that Jerry thinks Dak is a franchise QB that you can't just let walk.

What would make this all interesting is if an extension doesn't happen.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Dak and CD will both get paid and they’ll kiss & makeup at each other’s presser. Everybody gets paid and goes home happy.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Interesting? Nah he’ll get his 55 million a year extension for the next 4 years. It is what it is.

I could see CeeDee holding out and forcing his way out of here.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

It would absolutely be interesting. It also means we're are set up for a more dramatic year than 2019 and we will start rebuilding in 2025 with a new coach and QB. Which honestly wouldn't be a bad thing

NotForLong

Reaction score
Well, I mean they are going to be looking to create cap space and Dak's new deal would provide a heavy chunk of it. And it's quite possible, even likely, that Jerry thinks Dak is a franchise QB that you can't just let walk.

What would make this all interesting is if an extension doesn't happen.
Exactly. They would be hard pressed to pay him what he is owed this year . . . Only option has to be to cut Him after June 1st

But if they can squeeze His contract under the cap for 24 I would rather see him play out the year then carry over anymore cash over to 25

MarkP88

Reaction score
No way he doesn't get extended. Jerry has painted himself into this corner, and he doesn't even want to believe there's a need to get himself out of it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm loving in.

I wish someone would get a comment from dak but he's still running. He ran into the locker room and the last anyone saw of him was him running down the interstate with his mouth wide open and tears running down his face.