The next two are important games for Dak

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There's an underlying, subtle current that must be overcome asap.

Last year, Dak Prescott came out on fire. He won the hearts and minds of Cowboys fans, and took center stage as the best quarterback in last year's draft. GMs are still probably getting grilled on why they let this talent slip four whole rounds. Higher drafted QBs stumbled while he picked up stride.

That was then. Now, the tide has turned a bit.

Jared Goff is starting to look like a first-round pick. Carson Wentz is improving slow and steady. Their futures look brighter today than they did six months ago.

Meanwhile, Dak has leveled off, perhaps even slipped a bit. The NFL, no matter who you are, will figure you out and adjust. It's up to every player, especially quarterbacks, to adjust to that adjustment. The cat-and-mouse game never stops.

Dak played well the second half of the Packer playoff game, but that is sandwiched between some less-than-awesome outings. Not horrible, but not great either. We're still waiting for that arrow to start trending upward again.

The next two games are important to Dak. The Cardinals and Rams have decent defenses, and no doubt they'll throw some fronts and tight coverages at him like he saw against the Broncos. Good defenses - Minn, NY, Philly, for example - have been able to bottle up Dak.

He's young and resourceful, and full of positive energy and work ethic. No doubt he's on it right now.

But he's got to throw teams out of these fronts so the offense can hum like it should. That's not scheme or playcalling. That's on the quarterback to recognize and find weakness.

This season depends on Dak's ability to take these important next steps.

You want to praise goff who has played 2 of the worst defenses in the nfl and has played good.
And say Dak has slipped because he played probably the two best defenses in the nfl?

You sound no different than the mouths on espn.

Dallas dominated NY

Maybe instead of criticizing Dak you should hope this teams coaches can stick to what they built this team for, the run. I dont want to hear about Denver shutting Elliot out. The team never gave him a chance to start. They literally ignored the run. These WRs literally couldnt get open. Last weeks loss really had little to do with Dak. On Aqibs 103 int Dak was going for what they always go for, Dez on the comeback to get his body between the ball and the defender. Dez runs a lazy route and drifts back instead of coming back like they do on 99% of the time in this situation. Aqib breaks on it for a easy pick 6. Thats all Dez running a lazy route. Thats his problem and thats why he gets shut down vs the best cbs on the game because of lazy routes just like that.

Are people still talking bout Wentz? Really?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You want to praise goff who has played 2 of the worst defenses in the nfl and has played good.
And say Dak has slipped because he played probably the two best defenses in the nfl?

You sound no different than the mouths on espn.

Dallas dominated NY

Maybe instead of criticizing Dak you should hope this teams coaches can stick to what they built this team for, the run. I dont want to hear about Denver shutting Elliot out. The team never gave him a chance to start. They literally ignored the run. These WRs literally couldnt get open. Last weeks loss really had little to do with Dak. On Aqibs 103 int Dak was going for what they always go for, Dez on the comeback to get his body between the ball and the defender. Dez runs a lazy route and drifts back instead of coming back like they do on 99% of the time in this situation. Aqib breaks on it for a easy pick 6. Thats all Dez running a lazy route. Thats his problem and thats why he gets shut down vs the best cbs on the game because of lazy routes just like that.

Are people still talking bout Wentz? Really?
That's what ended the game. They got stopped at the run a couple of times early and then ignored it for the rest of the game. Throwing 50 passes and people wonder why we got blown out.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's only if you don't know football.

Wentz had a more impressive season than Prescott last year. He had crap around him, almost no training camp, no preseason, he didn't even know he'd be starting last year until just before the games started counting. He still performed admirably.

Put Prescott in that same situation and he folds like a cheap suit.

It only gets worse from here.
Risen Star--i agree..I think Wentz's throwing motion and zip on the ball is lightyears ahead of Dak...Dak with all his supposed strength has little velocity in his throwing motion and it looks as though he gets little torgue from stepping into throw and hip torgue..as though his upper body is disconnected from his lower body and he uses only arm strength in throwing motion...and i agree he is getting over hyped and it shows by passes too high or off target...the reason Dak seemed so precises last year was he was throwing to wide open receivers...and now that he is playing stiff defenses in backfield he is seeing very tight windows and in reality he is not precise passer

AzorAhai

Reaction score
The inferior Prescott knew he was starting and he had a full training camp, a full preseason and a much, much better supporting cast to the superior Wentz.

You can Rowdy all you want. The NFL world knows. Prescott falls apart in that same situation. He would have been asked to be the man and we've seen he can't. He doesn't have the talent. I knew that all along. You're just learning it.

Children read this and think I'm happy about it. Adults read it as a fan admitting what he sees as the obvious. They have a better QB. A much better one. We have a fraud who has to be hidden around great talent.

So on a team that already has to overcome it's GM and head coach you can now add QB to that list too.

I'm not happy about it. I'm just right about it.

Now respond back so I can scroll past your nonsense.
This might actually be believable if not for how you lusted over that same "better" QB before he was ever drafted. This isn't a situation where you just can't deny how good he is because of the evidence. It's a case of you loving a draft prospect period and nobody is going to believe what you're selling above.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Thankfully, the truth for all of us is right there in the post history. There's more to actually being right about something than insisting you were right despite all evidence to the contrary.

As for the QBs, I'm glad to see Goff turning things around. He was the guy I liked better of the top two before the draft and his play last year was bad. Wentz has all the tools in the world. He needs to make better decisions with the football and hold onto it better than he does. That doesn't appear to have changed any yet this season after two games.

Dak didn't look good last week. He looked really bad, actually. If Dez weren't a decent CB, he'd have had at least 4 picks. But then, we all remember games where Romo had 4-5 picks, too. It does happen sometimes. I'd love for him to come out and have a great game on Monday. I expect he will. I'm not at all worried about him, though. He's a good player who generally takes great care of the football. With the rest of our offense, that alone will make him successful the next few years, at least.

I'm interested in seeing how Dak responds on Mon night as well. I have no problem with his work ethic and his leadership intangibles are impressive.

His accuracy is a concern this year. In both games he has missed throws he was making last year. Not super worried at this point as he looked wobbly last year when facing good defenses as well... he is not at a point in his development where he can shred elite defenses yet.

Should be a good test for the whole team on Mon night.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Ultimately, elite quarterbacks beat other elite quarterbacks and elite defenses in playoff games. That's the measuring stick. The jury is still out on Dak. I'll be happy to see him succeed. But I'll be honest if I think he isn't there.

Well-- in his only playoff game Dak went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers and put the team in position to go to OT.

The defense then crapped the bed... but Dak played elite football in the playoffs and should get better with more experience.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Well-- in his only playoff game Dak went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers and put the team in position to go to OT.

The defense then crapped the bed... but Dak played elite football in the playoffs and should get better with more experience.

For one half. The second half. We needed both halves. And im not putting the blame on Dak. Thats not the point. But of u make a statement as you did we have to be fair. He played a good second half. He did play well in the first half. Also no one mentions that huge INT he threw. So be carefulw hen you say he went toe to toe with Rodgers.

ALBIT

Reaction score
That INT he threw hurt. Hey it haopens. But Rodgers outplayed him. Which is not a knock on Dak.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
For one half. The second half. We needed both halves. And im not putting the blame on Dak. Thats not the point. But of u make a statement as you did we have to be fair. He played a good second half. He did play well in the first half. Also no one mentions that huge INT he threw. So be carefulw hen you say he went toe to toe with Rodgers.

QBs throw INTs... all of em do. Rodgers threw one (almost 2) to Jeff Heath lol

The team came out flat in the first half. Dak stepped up and rallied them and they battled back and had the momentum until Rodgers miraculously did not fumble on the Heath sack (still can't believe that one) and then benefitted from a nice non holding call and amazing throw to set up the winning FG.

Dak played well enough to win-- against the #2 QB in the league. They came up short at the end of the day-- but I like Dak's moxie, work ethic, and leadership

ALBIT

Reaction score
QBs throw INTs... all of em do. Rodgers threw one (almost 2) to Jeff Heath lol

The team came out flat in the first half. Dak stepped up and rallied them and they battled back and had the momentum until Rodgers miraculously did not fumble on the Heath sack (still can't believe that one) and then benefitted from a nice non holding call and amazing throw to set up the winning FG.

Dak played well enough to win-- against the #2 QB in the league. They came up short at the end of the day-- but I like Dak's moxie, work ethic, and leadership

Im not saying u were on those people so forgive me if u didnt but i had to read for years all the INTS Romo threw. He was never allowed an exuse but now the savior Dak is allowed all the excuses. I never ever blamed Dak for the loss. I blamed our awful defense year after year. Romo was never allowed that luxury where you can blame thr defense like Dak fans can. Its not fair. This is NOT a Romo Dak thing. But you all get my point. You guys cant have it both ways.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Don't fret...Kellen Moore knows the offense and has experience. Just ask Linehan...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That's what ended the game. They got stopped at the run a couple of times early and then ignored it for the rest of the game. Throwing 50 passes and people wonder why we got blown out.

Dallas finishing the game with only 2 cbs hurt alot too. That forced them to play so soft. Woods finished the game playing the slot. Once Carroll went out the 2nd time Denver was basically in dink and dunk mode because Dallas was forced to play soft with what they had left in the secondary

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I think Dak should definitely get the whole season before he really gets a stamp on him. That being said, I've thought since day 1 that he plays too conservative. He usually takes great care of the ball but that's because he didn't like to toss downfield. This could cost us some games if they rest of the team is not up to par.

Romo was a gunslinger and a 4th quarter comeback machine. Romo took some big risks. Sometimes they worked out, sometimes they didn't. Romo was Brett Favre. He was often forced to create offense instead of being allowed to play inside of a system.

Dak isn't Romo but he doesn't appear to be Brady either. He appears to be more like Alex Smith, Russel Wilson maybe. I'm fine with that if our defense and running game are good enough to allow him to be a piece of the system instead of the guy who has to create and embody the offense.

I expect Dak to come back to earth a little this season. I don't think he will implode but I think it'll be an average season. Next season will be the real decision making time.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's only if you don't know football.

Wentz had a more impressive season than Prescott last year. He had crap around him, almost no training camp, no preseason, he didn't even know he'd be starting last year until just before the games started counting. He still performed admirably.

Put Prescott in that same situation and he folds like a cheap suit.

It only gets worse from here.
No training camp? Dak was the 3rd string until week 3 of preseason and Romo go hurt and he was thrown into the fire against the league's best defense last year. Just stop with this crap already it's getting old.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Haha, this is funny. Dak will "bounce back". I'm not looking for Dak to bounce back against crappy teams, I want him to dominate or play at a high level against good/great teams.

It's his second year, no more rookie expectations. That magic we had last year is gone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posts like this are exactly where you can pinpoint the bias in individual posters.

Erod has been pessimistic of Dak since he's been a Cowboy. Anyone with a memory can remember that Erod was steadfast and blindingly stubborn about it last year.

Now, Goff is looking like a 1st round pick playing terrible teams, while Dak really only plays "bad" vs. arguably the best defense in the NFL (after playing pretty well against a team with a top defense and who's had our number lately), in a team effort of suckage, and he's "leveled off and perhaps even slipped a bit".

You can make as many posts as you want, and lash out against as many forumers you want, that doesn't change the fact Dak is YOUR QB, he's not going anywhere, and your track history hating on him has been abysmal.

Or maybe you're wishing he performs badly so you can act out. Your post count and new threads always increases after a loss.

Imagine that.
:hammer:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha, this is funny. Dak will "bounce back". I'm not looking for Dak to bounce back against crappy teams, I want him to dominate or play at a high level against good/great teams.

It's his second year, no more rookie expectations. That magic we had last year is gone.

It's pretty normal for all QBs to play worse against better defenses.

And he put up a 90 rating v. The Giants. Nothing to apologize for.