The next two are important games for Dak

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's pretty normal for all QBs to play worse against better defenses.

And he put up a 90 rating v. The Giants. Nothing to apologize for.

There is playing "worse" than you play against bad defenses, and then there is playing like a 4th round pick against a great defense. As of now, it seems, the moment the running game is shut down, Dak is lost.

He needs to show he can step up and play big against the top defenses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is playing "worse" than you play against bad defenses, and then there is playing like a 4th round pick against a great defense. As of now, it seems, the moment the running game is shut down, Dak is lost.

He needs to show he can step up and play big against the top defenses.

Now it's one game we're complaining about one game this year, instead of two, at least.

He played big against every defense but NY last season. He's already stepped up.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
While I think Dak has leveled off, I don't think it should surprise anyone. But he's got talent and work ethic I'm sure he will figure it out. Not concerned that much about it. More concerned with the oline

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Now it's one game we're complaining about one game this year, instead of two, at least.

He played big against every defense but NY last season. He's already stepped up.

What great defenses did we play last year? Two giants games, and Vikings. I think Baltimore was the most impressive game he had. He was 2-2 against good defenses, in 3 of those games, he was mediocre to bad. The raw rating against the Vikings doesn't tell the full story.

And let's not pretend he was lighting things up against the Giants. He played decently, but he again, didn't take over a game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
All signs are pointing to Dak being the next RG3 or Kaepernick. It's unfortunate but he's been pretty bad so far this year. That pick 6 was one of the worse I've ever seen. His accuracy just isn't very good. We'll need a heck of a defense and great running game to ever win in playoffs with Dak.

Whoa, there, Pessimist Cowboy -- you're doing all you can to live up to your name. It can't always be peaches and cream. Every QB, especially young ones, have bad games. We might want to ease up on the whip just a bit. Let's see how he does vs. Arizona, OK? It's very early yet. QBs tend to have a tough time in Denver -- it's surely not like he's the only one. I think we'll see a much better Dak in Arizona.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Assuming we'd found our franchise QB before more evidence after how teams adjusted near the end of last season was pure homerish hoopla.

But since we probably made a hasty decision on our QB down the stretch last year I'd say we may have again this year.

But yea Erod, if this trend continues with Dak and he doesn't develop a more downfield passing attack Cowboys could be in trouble .

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Im not saying u were on those people so forgive me if u didnt but i had to read for years all the INTS Romo threw. He was never allowed an exuse but now the savior Dak is allowed all the excuses. I never ever blamed Dak for the loss. I blamed our awful defense year after year. Romo was never allowed that luxury where you can blame thr defense like Dak fans can. Its not fair. This is NOT a Romo Dak thing. But you all get my point. You guys cant have it both ways.

I hear your point about the double standard regarding Romo... Dak gets the benefit of the doubt b/c of his youth and stellar year last year.

However-- if he grows a habit of throwing INTs at inopportune times and doesnt improve his accuracy-- trust me, people will turn on him too lol

Look at some of the posts on this forum... you already have fans turning on the guy lol

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
What great defenses did we play last year? Two giants games, and Vikings. I think Baltimore was the most impressive game he had. He was 2-2 against good defenses, in 3 of those games, he was mediocre to bad. The raw rating against the Vikings doesn't tell the full story.

And let's not pretend he was lighting things up against the Giants. He played decently, but he again, didn't take over a game.

We should have blown the Giants out
Assuming we'd found our franchise QB before more evidence after how teams adjusted near the end of last season was pure homerish hoopla.

But since we probably made a hasty decision on our QB down the stretch last year I'd say we may have again this year.

But yea Erod, if this trend continues with Dak and he doesn't develop a more downfield passing attack Cowboys could be in trouble .
I had this conversation with a Chiefs fan friend the other day... he said we were too hasty and should have reinserted Romo and stuck with him until he decided to retire on his own so Dak could groom up. Similar to how Mahomes is being groomed behind Smith

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's a time to show support and a time to offer criticism much like you would with anyone or anything your passionate with and support.

If we can't discuss the pro and cons of Cowboy football on a fan forum where should we go?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We should have blown the Giants out

I had this conversation with a Chiefs fan friend the other day... he said we were too hasty and should have reinserted Romo and stuck with him until he decided to retire on his own so Dak could groom up. Similar to how Mahomes is being groomed behind Smith
Yep, we rode the Dak wave and understandably so. It was very exciting.

At first I was concerned Jerry would bring Romo back too soon but when I saw how Dak struggled down the stretch with defenses challenging him to beat them with passing game I sensed we'd made a mistake especially when Romo made his cameo appearance.

And I was not a Romo homer. I had been critical of him over the years too while being hopeful we'd found our heir apparent in Dak but unless we see more progress than we've seen Im afraid my instincts were correct in pulling the plug too soon on Romo.

We had a great situation with a veteran prolific QB with a great heir apparent on board . If Romo was to get hurt again we insert Dak. But we had time to develop Dak further.

Initially I thought Jerry would stand behind Romo but he caved to the public hoopla. Jerry basically was better off losing with Dak than taking a chance of winning with Romo.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Every game is important and it will probably take a full 3 seasons in to properly evaluate all the qb's. I disagree in that Wentz has not been stellar so far judging by qbr. Dak is just coming out of mile high and a stellar defense.
Goff naturally looks better but has faced sub par teams thus far. Give it some space.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
There's an underlying, subtle current that must be overcome asap.

Last year, Dak Prescott came out on fire. He won the hearts and minds of Cowboys fans, and took center stage as the best quarterback in last year's draft. GMs are still probably getting grilled on why they let this talent slip four whole rounds. Higher drafted QBs stumbled while he picked up stride.

That was then. Now, the tide has turned a bit.

Jared Goff is starting to look like a first-round pick. Carson Wentz is improving slow and steady. Their futures look brighter today than they did six months ago.

Meanwhile, Dak has leveled off, perhaps even slipped a bit. The NFL, no matter who you are, will figure you out and adjust. It's up to every player, especially quarterbacks, to adjust to that adjustment. The cat-and-mouse game never stops.

Dak played well the second half of the Packer playoff game, but that is sandwiched between some less-than-awesome outings. Not horrible, but not great either. We're still waiting for that arrow to start trending upward again.

The next two games are important to Dak. The Cardinals and Rams have decent defenses, and no doubt they'll throw some fronts and tight coverages at him like he saw against the Broncos. Good defenses - Minn, NY, Philly, for example - have been able to bottle up Dak.

He's young and resourceful, and full of positive energy and work ethic. No doubt he's on it right now.

But he's got to throw teams out of these fronts so the offense can hum like it should. That's not scheme or playcalling. That's on the quarterback to recognize and find weakness.

This season depends on Dak's ability to take these important next steps.

Sorry, but when you talk down about Dak while meanwhile cheerleading for Wentz, you lose al
Posts like this are exactly where you can pinpoint the bias in individual posters.

Erod has been pessimistic of Dak since he's been a Cowboy. Anyone with a memory can remember that Erod was steadfast and blindingly stubborn about it last year.

Now, Goff is looking like a 1st round pick playing terrible teams, while Dak really only plays "bad" vs. arguably the best defense in the NFL (after playing pretty well against a team with a top defense and who's had our number lately), in a team effort of suckage, and he's "leveled off and perhaps even slipped a bit".

You can make as many posts as you want, and lash out against as many forumers you want, that doesn't change the fact Dak is YOUR QB, he's not going anywhere, and your track history hating on him has been abysmal.

Or maybe you're wishing he performs badly so you can act out. Your post count and new threads always increases after a loss.

Imagine that.

Also throw in the fact that Wentz has look awful for long stretched of games this season, but somehow he gets a pass and his star is rising. It's just more blatant bias.
l credibility. Wentz has looked awful this year.

shabazz

Reaction score
And right now future Hall of Famer Tyrod Taylor is 14 of 18 and a Td against this unbeatable Broncos defense and there is still a whole half to play. On track for a pretty good day

shabazz

Reaction score
There's a time to show support and a time to offer criticism much like you would with anyone or anything your passionate with and support.

If we can't discuss the pro and cons of Cowboy football on a fan forum where should we go?

Agree with the last part

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And right now future Hall of Famer Tyrod Taylor is 14 of 18 and a Td against this unbeatable Broncos defense and there is still a whole half to play. On track for a pretty good day
Being played in Buffalo though. Makes a difference.