Twitter: The NFL determines that Kazee delivered a clean hit

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was a clean hit so there was no fine, but do you remember what was called? A penalty often enforced incorrectly by the refs, and only enforced when it's a hard hit. Hitting a defenseless receiver. This penalty will pop up every once in awhile and the talking football heads will all ask, what was he supposed to do?

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Read #2. By rule replay wouldn't help.

its the rules that an issue IMO therss no such thing as a defenseless player if said player is part fo the pay ie getting the ball or holding the ball..once the receiving target puts any part of his body touching the football, hes open game for a LEGAL hit..i mean the rule is basically saying allow the catch before you hit..thats utterly ridiculous..these guys going out for passes and the pass is in the air headed for them KNOW a hits coming, i mean isnt that football, tackling after a play is active??

i thing it super dumb rule and that in itself proves real football is being removed yearly and we are headed to flag football..gets old.

.that Kazee hit in person at the stadium erupted the entire fan base, you could hear it, feel it,. its football to me..it was awesome then flag comes out and deflates every player and fan..its not why i bought my ticket to have football taken out of the equation. big hits are part of the draw.

i can watch baseball, golf, basketball etc if i didn't want to see big hits..i also can have children not pay football if that type of violence is not wanth im lokg for..when players signs his contract he should expect violent football game..as long as the hits are legal its gone beyond the normal hits now..they are talking all hard hits almost anywhere on a players body out of the game and now illegal..seriously ugh!!:oops::mad::(:thumbdown:

add all the qb protection and this is becoming a joke..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As others have said, the league needs to make these types of penalties reviewable.

Simply too impactful and it’s too easy to get it wrong when viewing it in real-time.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Jerry_Hughes_no_material_restriction.gif

I don't get what you are trying to show me here. If you're insinuating that this was holding on 74 against 55, who was circled, it was not, due to one of the few exceptions to the holding rule where it won't be called. In this case, the defender used a rip technique which is exempt from holding because of the position it puts the OL in (unless the OL drags the guy to the ground or something). Another exemption most people don't know about is that holding can happen and an official can see it but won't call it because it happened away from the action/point of attack (mostly on running plays). So when fans say that they see holding on every play, that could actually be true but only some of those are actually holding in the official sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you read the other part I posted 2. Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:, it seems to negate the call.

Yes, I see what you're saying. Which is why I said "often enforced incorrectly". But they continue to call it.

Big_D

Reaction score
They should decide this on game day. Not with some dumazz apology a week later. Why even bother reviewing these plays after the fact? Means nothing. If it wasn't a penalty, it doesn't change anything, and if it was the player gets fined. It's all about the cash, but screw the integrity of the game!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, I see what you're saying. Which is why I said "often enforced incorrectly". But they continue to call it.
But you said "By rule, replay wouldn't help", and my understanding of the rule I see here makes me think if they reviewed the play with the second part (Let's call it an addendum, since calling it rule#2 would be confusing, under the circumstances.) in mind, I think they'd overturn the ruling, just as the league eventually admitted it was a bad call.

Maybe I misunderstood the reason for your post. I thought you were disputing that the call would have been overturned, if reviewed before the next snap. (If they were to make the play reviewable)

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They should decide this on game day. Not with some dumazz apology a week later. Why even bother reviewing these plays after the fact? Means nothing. If it wasn't a penalty, it doesn't change anything, and if it was the player gets fined. It's all about the cash, but screw the integrity of the game!
Well, it's better than nothing that the player doesn't get an undeserved fine.

Flamma

Reaction score
But you said "By rule, replay wouldn't help", and my understanding of the rule I see here makes me think if they reviewed the play with the second part (Let's call it an addendum, since calling it rule#2 would be confusing, under the circumstances.) in mind, I think they'd overturn the ruling, just as the league eventually admitted it was a bad call.

But who would be doing the overruling? It's my opinion that the ref calling the foul would just uphold the penalty. I've seen these penalties called before with absolutely no question as to whether or not there was contact to the helmet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But who would be doing the overruling? It's my opinion that the ref calling the foul would just uphold the penalty. I've seen these penalties called before with absolutely no question as to whether or not there was contact to the helmet.
I was thinking they'd have a separate official in the booth, or in NY. Who reviews TDs? Is it the same official on the field?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting they fine them the same amount as players smart guy. :rolleyes:

An amount commensurate to their salaries is fair.
It still went over your head. I wasn’t talking about fine amounts.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was thinking they'd have a separate official in the booth, or in NY. Who reviews TDs? Is it the same official on the field?

I thought it was the ref on the field. I just thing some refs interpret the rules incorrectly. But anyway, keep an eye open for that penalty. You'll see what I mean.