The NFL Free Agency and Trades Thread

JustChip

Reaction score
Rams made one huge mistake that the Cowboys better watch it for. They failed to draft well enough to surround that team with young players on cheap contracts. They actually went out of their way to get rid of draft picks. That RAmsey traded was moronic.
That’s the one move that truly made no sense. It was a desperate move thinking they were that close to being able to return to the SB. That’s a mistake the Cowboys would’ve made in the past, but not now. Otherwise, Jamaal Adams would be a Cowboy today.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And that one hasn't even truly cost them yet!
Yeah I know. I honestly don't see how they get better. This draft is deep for receivers and they have receivers. They've really screwed that thing up over there. People will tie in the Gurley and Goff contracts but they have many in a lot of places that they shouldn't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s the one move that truly made no sense. It was a desperate move thinking they were that close to being able to return to the SB. That’s a mistake the Cowboys would’ve made in the past, but not now. Otherwise, Jamaal Adams would be a Cowboy today.
You are right. Cowboys have to be careful there too. Even if the trade sounds good. You have to remember the money that goes into those moves. Having a starter for 5 years on a rookie deal is CRUCIAL. You have to take advantage of it. The league hasn't caught up that in regards to trade value. If i'm taking on a Jamal Adams and he has what? 2 or 3 years left on his rookie deal? The compensation you get for that isn't going to be as high as what they are asking for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So why not the worst one and biggest waste of money on the entire roster?

And it's not like they have 20 draft picks to fill all of their needs, even if they somehow managed to strike gold on every one.
Are you talking about Tyrone Crawford? They seem to like him. I don't know what the hold up is. Honestly I Don't even know how he's been on this team this league. I thought his contract should've been up by now. This has been the longest 4 or 5 years i've seen in my life.

And they don't. Unless they plan on trading down I don't know what they're going to do. But they don't have enough draft picks to fix these holes.

ksg811

Reaction score
I think they're showing just how reckless their recent moves have been. It's no way to run a football team.

I don’t completely agree with this. The Rams issue IMO wasn’t so much WHAT they spent, but WHO they spent it on. Running backs aren’t high priority signings to begin with never mind one with knee issues dating back to college. Cooks never proved to be consistently good enough WR1 to get what he was paid. Goff is unfortunately just the going rate for a QB but I do think they signed him a year too early.

Their most egregious mistake is their use of high draft capital on questionable players. They’ve spent a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 4th plus a huge extension for Cooks, Watkins, and Peters, 2 of whom are gone and 1 on the way out. They further had to trade 2 more 1sts and a 4th for Ramsey because Peters flamed out. You can’t possibly build sustained success without a first and only 2 2nds in 5 years.

That’s a lot of pressure to put on your scouting department to find hidden gems and they’ve only hit on Kupp in the 3rd in the last 3 drafts. That draft capital is essential for quality, cheap talent to build long sustaining success.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you talking about Tyrone Crawford? They seem to like him. I don't know what the hold up is. Honestly I Don't even know how he's been on this team this league. I thought his contract should've been up by now. This has been the longest 4 or 5 years i've seen in my life.

It's mind-bogglingly frustrating to watch them have that contract on their payroll while watching other teams sign better, younger players with actual defined roles. Such a waste.

And they don't. Unless they plan on trading down I don't know what they're going to do. But they don't have enough draft picks to fix these holes.

I love, love, love the McCoy signing (did last year too when I advocated dumping Crawford for him then too!), but this team's defensive line is still a mess. It's still a huge need and I'm seeing nothing done to better it while the market continues to dry up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's mind-bogglingly frustrating to watch them have that contract on their payroll while watching other teams sign better, younger players with actual defined roles. Such a waste.

I love, love, love the McCoy signing (did last year too when I advocated dumping Crawford for him then too!), but this team's defensive line is still a mess. It's still a huge need and I'm seeing nothing done to better it while the market continues to dry up.
I have a strong feeling and I hope this isn't the case but they think they are going to get better simply by adding McCoy to a healthy Lawrence and Randy Gregory. I hope that's not the case though. They could've easily snagged up one of these cheap DT's.....I don't understand how Billings for 3.5 million or whatever he signed for isn't acceptable but you'd sign a JAG for 2 or 3 million? How much did they spend on Hyder and Covington last year?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t completely agree with this. The Rams issue IMO wasn’t so much WHAT they spent, but WHO they spent it on. Running backs aren’t high priority signings to begin with never mind one with knee issues dating back to college. Cooks never proved to be consistently good enough WR1 to get what he was paid. Goff is unfortunately just the going rate for a QB but I do think they signed him a year too early.

Their most egregious mistake is their use of high draft capital on questionable players. They’ve spent a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 4th plus a huge extension for Cooks, Watkins, and Peters, 2 of whom are gone and 1 on the way out. They further had to trade 2 more 1sts and a 4th for Ramsey because Peters flamed out. You can’t possibly build sustained success without a first and only 2 2nds in 5 years.

That’s a lot of pressure to put on your scouting department to find hidden gems and they’ve only hit on Kupp in the 3rd in the last 3 drafts. That draft capital is essential for quality, cheap talent to build long sustaining success.

I'll try to make it clearer for you. You mention exactly what I'm talking about but seem to still not realize.

In 2018, they trade for Aqib Talib. A year later, they're trading him away - plus a pick - for cap relief.

No plan.

In 2018, they trade a 2nd, 4th, and 6th to the Chiefs for CB Peters. A year later they trade him to the Ravens for peanuts. Where I believe he made the Pro Bowl this year?

No plan.

In 2018, they trade 1st and 6th round picks for Cooks. Then sign him to a big money extension.

And now they're looking to trade him?

Again, no plan.

They're reckless and have no vision or idea for what they want to do from one season to the next.

No plan.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a strong feeling and I hope this isn't the case but they think they are going to get better simply by adding McCoy to a healthy Lawrence and Randy Gregory. I hope that's not the case though. They could've easily snagged up one of these cheap DT's.....I don't understand how Billings for 3.5 million or whatever he signed for isn't acceptable but you'd sign a JAG for 2 or 3 million? How much did they spend on Hyder and Covington last year?

I wouldn't even begin to try, it makes no sense. They clearly have needs and they're sitting around while players are being signed elsewhere for cheap. There's no excusing it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn't even begin to try, it makes no sense. They clearly have needs and they're sitting around while players are being signed elsewhere for cheap. There's no excusing it.
They are going to rack up though. They are gonna go ham in a couple of days once guys go. I just hope they have that same luck this year that they had with Cobb last year. Still some guys out there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are going to rack up though. They are gonna go ham in a couple of days once guys go. I just hope they have that same luck this year that they had with Cobb last year. Still some guys out there.

I'm seeing fewer and fewer options on the defensive line.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If this were true though, why is it that Dallas traded for Quinn and Bennett? And that they were also in the hunt to swap premium picks for Jamaal Adams?

I can see where you're coming from, amd you're probably more right than I am. However, I find it very hard to believe in its entirety.

Then again, it's still "early" and we don't have the slightest clue what's left in their wheelhouse..especially when it comes to the draft.

They traded for Quinn because Gregory was suspended for the season. The Bennett trade was partly in response to losing Crawford, but I believe we were down another defensive lineman or two at the time.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Not sure if this deserves its own thread but maybe it does.

Josh Gordon wants to play to this year. What is interesting and something I have been wondering about for players (specifically Randy Gregory) suspended under the previous CBA and would it have any impact on him under the new CBA. Seems at least on some level it does based on this statement.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28924092/suspended-wr-josh-gordon-intends-play-season

Gordon, 28, is beholden to the old rules for reinstatement despite the more lenient drug policy under the league's new collective bargaining agreement, which the players' union ratified Sunday.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Not sure if this deserves its own thread but maybe it does.

Josh Gordon wants to play to this year. What is interesting and something I have been wondering about (specifically for Randy Gregory) for players suspended under the previous CBA and would it have any impact on him under the new CBA. Seems at least on some level it does based on this statement.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28924092/suspended-wr-josh-gordon-intends-play-season

Gordon, 28, is beholden to the old rules for reinstatement despite the more lenient drug policy under the league's new collective bargaining agreement, which the players' union ratified Sunday.

I think it also depends on what substance they were actually suspended for - Gregory was for weed while Gordon was suspended for a variety of things

John813

Reaction score
I think they're showing just how reckless their recent moves have been. It's no way to run a football team.

It was their quest to build an instant winner in a market that is very fairweatger. and Lakers own la

Rayman70

Reaction score
WE are likely done signing free agents on the dline. We now will turn to the draft to fill needs..then the june 1 cut waiver wire.

Oneiros

Reaction score
And for peanuts too!

This team could have both Billings and Shelton this year, for less than what they would save by releasing Crawford alone!

Think about that homers!
:facepalm:
Yeah, this is truly maddening. Both were had for peanuts, and we're stuck with the JAG.

It is frustrating though, to hear all this talk about wanting to get a true 1T and have done absolutely nothing.