Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams "blowing it up"
Jags
Rams
Pats?

The Jags might be an option. They seem unable to reach a deal with that DE whose name I will not even try to spell. But the costs overall will be high, likely much higher than we would want to pay. Lawrence is already among the league's highest paid defensive linemen.

Then you always want to trade with Texans

Ain't that the truth! But what do they even have left at this point worth stealing?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Jags might be an option. They seem unable to reach a deal with that DE whose name I will not even try to spell. But the costs overall will be high, likely much higher than we would want to pay. Lawrence is already among the league's highest paid defensive linemen.

Ain't that the truth! But what do they even have left at this point worth stealing?
As far trades, post draft could be a ripe time as well

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Wonder how expensive Whitney Mercilus would be? One of the few players that wouldn't be a downgrade from Quinn as a pass rusher.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how expensive Whitney Mercilus would be? One of the few players that wouldn't be a downgrade from Quinn as a pass rusher.

If you're going there, why not ask them about JJ Watt? They could trade or cut him with no dead money whatsoever.

But would you pay $15.5 million and risk his injury history? I would, but I don't know how much they would want in return?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If you're going there, why not ask them about JJ Watt? They could trade or cut him with no dead money whatsoever.

But would you pay $15.5 million and risk his injury history? I would, but I don't know how much they would want in return?

Cheaper both in assets given up and contract we would take on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anddddd that's why he's cheaper.

Also much more durable and three years younger. If we are looking to steal somebody from a team and swap them for better compensation like was alluded to above, Mercilus fits the billing much better than JJ.

Yes, I'll give you that.

But if I'm choosing between two players and the expected costs, I'll take Clay Matthews over Mercilus. I can sign Matthews today for zero draft compensation and a lower salary as well. And it wouldn't even affect my comp picks.

visionary

Reaction score
Anddddd that's why he's cheaper.

Also much more durable and three years younger. If we are looking to steal somebody from a team and swap them for better compensation like was alluded to above, Mercilus fits the billing much better than JJ.

agree but Watt would bring an intensity and attitude that we lack on defense

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
agree but Watt would bring an intensity and attitude that we lack on defense

I'm not trading big assets for JJ at this point. Has played exactly 50% of games over the last four years.

Also not as good of a fit at our current need at RE.
Between assets to acquire, contract taken on, age, durability, and fit within the defense it's a landslide on favor of Mercilus for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not trading big assets for JJ at this point. Has played exactly 50% of games over the last four years.

Also not as good of a fit at our current need at RE.
Between assets to acquire, contract taken on, age, durability, and fit within the defense it's a landslide on favor of Mercilus for me.

I don't blame you for not wanting to pay what Watt would cost. But again, it's paying a premium price for a premium talent. Mercilus isn't in Watt's league as a player. Would he come cheaper? Absolutely, and with good reason, because he's far less of a talent and player.

As I stated earlier, I'll take Clay Matthews first for less money and no draft compensation. And he's familiar with playing for McCarthy, and he was more productive last year to boot.