The NFL has another option to get what they want

Philmonroe

Reaction score
It's all about how the NFL views it, not you or I.

For example, let's say a player grabs a woman's butt out in public. Even if it's not a woman he knows, the NFL wouldn't likely do anything about it. However, let's say he's a chronic butt grabber and does is dozens of times over a period of time. The NFL would be more inclined to do something about that.

What everyone has to remember is what I have pointed out several times .. the basis for the NFL to act is "conduct detrimental to the league". That is a VERY subjective rule that can be applied from different angles.

For example, they could say "exposing a woman's breast in public is illegal in 3 states who consider it sexual assault so we are justified in calling it that." They could also go with a completely different angle and say, "An NFL player damaged the NFL brand by exposure a woman's breasts to children in the crowd and throughout the world who have seen the video."

As I said, there are many ways for the NFL to justify re-opening the case. I am not saying the should.
They can't justify opening this case at all. It will look stupider than the Brown suspension,today. It seems like you just want them to pin some thing on Elliot and that's okay if you do just say so.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would still only be a 2 game suspension, max. But they already let that ship sail, and falsely labeled him a woman beater.
But if they got that 2-game suspension to stick, it would make their argument look better in the current case by creating the perception of a pattern.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The NFL has the potential to still get what they want even if they vacate the suspension and write it off as "mistakes were made".

How? Simple ..

They can re-open the investigation into the shirt-pulled-down incident by Elliott. There's no rule that would prevent that as far as I know. They could treat him pulling the shirt down as "sexual assault" and "domestic violence" and say that despite no criminal charges being filed and lack of victim support, the video provides all of the evidence they need to suspend him.

Not only would that give them an opportunity to suspend him where he would less likely be able to win in court, it would also deflect some of the fallout from the judge's harsh words as part of the injunction and present the perception of a pattern of violence against women by Elliott, that most of the media would love to focus on.

The NFL just has to decide if they want to move on from this or let it linger all season while it is discussed over and over, especially every Cowboys game. It comes down to how bad their desire to "win" now is versus what's best for the NFL long term.

Well if they did reopen I would find it suspicious. I mean they already said that he's been cleared of that offense. Reopening that case just means the NFL is truly after Zeke and that there is a conspiracy against him. They could possibly open it. But it would be bad PR and just stupid to do it once they already said that no violations was found.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can't justify opening this case at all. It will look stupider than the Brown suspension,today. It seems like you just want them to pin some thing on Elliot and that's okay if you do just say so.
Have you not been reading my posts? I was supporting Elliott's and the NFLPA's legal argument non-stop in the current case. I'm not saying the NFL should do this. I can definitely say I do not want them to do this.

I brought this up not because I believe it but because everyone's celebrating acting like nothing can happen now until next season, and I'm just saying the NFL has options. They may not be smart options or good options, but they have options.

Aven8

Reaction score
But I thought it was the wind that day that blew her shirt up? ;)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if they did reopen I would find it suspicious. I mean they already said that he's been cleared of that offense. Reopening that case just means the NFL is truly after Zeke and that there is a conspiracy against him. They could possibly open it. But it would be bad PR and just stupid to do it once they already said that no violations was found.
Absolutely! But the two reasons they would have is that 1) they could show a perception of a pattern of offenses against women and 2) the NFLPA would have a harder time getting an injunction against that incident because of the video and the fact the NFLPA gave the blanket authority of punishment to the NFL in the last CBA.

I, like most people, think it would be a mistake, but it comes down to how bad the NFL wants to try to win this battle. They were embarrassed today, so they may feel like they have little to lose at this point.

Verdict

Reaction score
Actually, that is sexual assault .. it could conceivably fall under "domestic violence" as well because he was in a relationship of some kind with the woman.

Not if it is consensual. And it was.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Have you not been reading my posts? I was supporting Elliott's and the NFLPA's legal argument non-stop in the current case. I'm not saying the NFL should do this. I can definitely say I do not want them to do this.

I brought this up not because I believe it but because everyone's celebrating acting like nothing can happen now until next season, and I'm just saying the NFL has options. They may not be smart options or good options, but they have options.
If these are their "options" they have NO options my man. I'd love to see them try that option lol.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
And the woman that was the object of this alleged sexual assault takes the stand as says she was encouraging him to do so, and that is out the window.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not if it is consensual. And it was.
So if someone tells a player, "You can shoot me" and the player shoots the person, the NFL can't do anything about it? It was consensual.

As I said, "conduct detrimental to the league" is completely subjective and definable by the NFL .. not you .. not me .. and apparently not even common sense after the current case.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
But if they got that 2-game suspension to stick, it would make their argument look better in the current case by creating the perception of a pattern.

I honestly think that would make the NFL look like they are exhibiting a severe prejudice against Ezekiel Elliott, and would in foresight, work against their favor, publicly and legally.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the woman that was the object of this alleged sexual assault takes the stand as says she was encouraging him to do so, and that is out the window.
So if a woman says, "I told him to hit me in the face several times", the NFL is just going to let that go?

Ray Rice's fiance (back then) supported Ray Rice completely and it had no impact on their eventual ruling even though she argued for leniency.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Always ways to re-open a case. A closed case is not permanently closed. Look no further than Ray Rice and Josh Brown whose cases were reviewed, ruled on and closed.
And the Ray Rice revised ruling where they increased his punishment was thrown out because the judge said you can't do that.

As for Josh Brown, I believe I read he wasn't going to appeal, but he would win if he did.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think that would make the NFL look like they are exhibiting a severe prejudice against Ezekiel Elliott, and would in hindsight, work against their favor publicly and legally.
It would in the eyes of Cowboys fans, but there are a lot of Cowboys haters out there that believe Elliott is a criminal (I've read countless comments on article after article) and is only getting away with it because he's an NFL player or a Dallas Cowboys player. When you factor in women's organization and special interests groups, most of them won't care about football at all. They only see the media reported news pushing the story line of an NFL player getting away with offenses against women.

I agree, as I have said above, I don't think it would be smart. I don't think it's a good move, and I don't think they should do it.

My reason for posting this thread was to simply remind everyone that the NFL is not without other options. With Brady, they had no other options. Elliott's actions and incidents, whether he's innocent or not, has created a perception of a pattern of negative news against the NFL and its brand.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The NFL has the potential to still get what they want even if they vacate the suspension and write it off as "mistakes were made".

How? Simple ..

They can re-open the investigation into the shirt-pulled-down incident by Elliott. There's no rule that would prevent that as far as I know. They could treat him pulling the shirt down as "sexual assault" and "domestic violence" and say that despite no criminal charges being filed and lack of victim support, the video provides all of the evidence they need to suspend him.

Not only would that give them an opportunity to suspend him where he would less likely be able to win in court, it would also deflect some of the fallout from the judge's harsh words as part of the injunction and present the perception of a pattern of violence against women by Elliott, that most of the media would love to focus on.

The NFL just has to decide if they want to move on from this or let it linger all season while it is discussed over and over, especially every Cowboys game. It comes down to how bad their desire to "win" now is versus what's best for the NFL long term.

Oh is that so??? And will the girl whose top was pulled down testify or corroborate the accusation? My guess is probably not, so now take a guess where this will end up??? In court and they will lose again.
Pulling down someone's top is tasteless, it is not grounds for Dom violence.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh is that so??? And will the girl whose top was pulled down testify or corroborate the accusation? My guess is probably not, so now take a guess where this will end up??? In court and they will lose again.
Pulling down someone's top is tasteless, it is not grounds for Dom violence.
You really should read the whole thread :D This has been addressed many times from several angles.

Reaction score
I think a more likely scenario would be for Goodell to put Zeke on the Commissioners Exempt list.

This would also be challenged in court by Kessler. And he would probably win again. But I can see Goodell trying it

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Ray Rice revised ruling where they increased his punishment was thrown out because the judge said you can't do that.

As for Josh Brown, I believe I read he wasn't going to appeal, but he would win if he did.
Josh Brown received a 1 game suspension. Then his closed case was reopened and he was suspended indefinitely (so 16 games so far). Now he's suspended another 6 games.

And how many NFL games has Ray Rice played since then? :D

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
It would in the eyes of Cowboys fans, but there are a lot of Cowboys haters out there that believe Elliott is a criminal (I've read countless comments on article after article) and is only getting away with it because he's an NFL player or a Dallas Cowboys player. When you factor in women's organization and special interests groups, most of them won't care about football at all. They only see the media reported news pushing the story line of an NFL player getting away with offenses against women.

I agree, as I have said above, I don't think it would be smart. I don't think it's a good move, and I don't think they should do it.

My reason for posting this thread was to simply remind everyone that the NFL is not without other options. With Brady, they had no other options. Elliott's actions and incidents, whether he's innocent or not, has created a perception of a pattern of negative news against the NFL and its brand.

They'll use this option for the last game of the season, and into the playoffs. I wouldn't put anything past these guys trying to get the last laugh. :hammer: