The NFL has another option to get what they want

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The NFL has the potential to still get what they want even if they vacate the suspension and write it off as "mistakes were made".

How? Simple ..

They can re-open the investigation into the shirt-pulled-down incident by Elliott. There's no rule that would prevent that as far as I know. They could treat him pulling the shirt down as "sexual assault" and "domestic violence" and say that despite no criminal charges being filed and lack of victim support, the video provides all of the evidence they need to suspend him.

Not only would that give them an opportunity to suspend him where he would less likely be able to win in court, it would also deflect some of the fallout from the judge's harsh words as part of the injunction and present the perception of a pattern of violence against women by Elliott, that most of the media would love to focus on.

The NFL just has to decide if they want to move on from this or let it linger all season while it is discussed over and over, especially every Cowboys game. It comes down to how bad their desire to "win" now is versus what's best for the NFL long term.

They can, technically, but since they already stated that it was considered and was essentially passed over, it would crate a pseudo double jeopardy argument that they quite frankly cannot afford to face in this court.

They're out of options. I think they should just take this one on the chin and drop the suit, and move on.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They can, technically, but since they already stated that it was considered and was essentially passed over, it would crate a pseudo double jeopardy argument that they quite frankly cannot afford to face in this court.

They're out of options. I think they should just take this one on the chin and drop the suit, and move on.

It's not like they can't still ride the cash flow from the television increases into the near future...

DallasDomination

Reaction score
That would be character suicide for them to try that. First of all they hung out after the incident and it was in an environment where that kind of stuff common. It'll be a bad look for the nfl.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The NFL has the potential to still get what they want even if they vacate the suspension and write it off as "mistakes were made".

How? Simple ..

They can re-open the investigation into the shirt-pulled-down incident by Elliott. There's no rule that would prevent that as far as I know. They could treat him pulling the shirt down as "sexual assault" and "domestic violence" and say that despite no criminal charges being filed and lack of victim support, the video provides all of the evidence they need to suspend him.

Not only would that give them an opportunity to suspend him where he would less likely be able to win in court, it would also deflect some of the fallout from the judge's harsh words as part of the injunction and present the perception of a pattern of violence against women by Elliott, that most of the media would love to focus on.

The NFL just has to decide if they want to move on from this or let it linger all season while it is discussed over and over, especially every Cowboys game. It comes down to how bad their desire to "win" now is versus what's best for the NFL long term.

While it is true that you don't have to have victim support in a domestic violence or sexual assault case, it is required that you do have to have a victim. From all the reports, it was consensual between Zeke and the girl so it would be almost impossible to mount a case here. What is the league going to do, argu with their own witness?

NFL lawyer.....so you were sexually assaulted?
Girl............nope

NFL lawyer.....are you sure, what about domestic violence, did Zeke's actions make you feel threatened in any way?
Girl...........nope

NFL lawyer.....I imagine this event is causing you great distress, would that be a fair assessment?
Girl...........nope

NFL lawyer.....dam it, you are a victim and you need to start acting like one
Girl..........are we done yet, I am getting hungry

*****Judge: Ok, I think we have seen enough, thanks for your testimony*******

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Actually, that is sexual assault .. it could conceivably fall under "domestic violence" as well because he was in a relationship of some kind with the woman.

I think for something like that to be considered sexual assault, there would have to be a lack of consent.

Like if you or me went into a grocery store and just walked up to a random girl and lifted her skirt or pulled her top down. We would both be arrested and charged, however if you are at the beach or at a party and you pull down the top of your girlfriend in a playful way, obviously the issue of consent is not that same as it was with that stranger you did that to at the grocery store.

In other words, if your girlfriend didn't mind or even liked it, the act itself is not illegal, unlike in a case such as statutory rape where the act itself of sexual relations is illegal if the partner is not of legal age, regardless of if consent was given. That does not apply to lifting up a shirt. Ergo, as long as the girl Zeke did this to was of legal age and consented it would not be considered sexual assault just because of the "act" itself.

RoboQB

Reaction score
This incident is one that seems ludicrous.

Am I the only one that saw the entire video?
She's staring at a crowd, pointing at her puppies and motioning to Zeke.
Sexual assault!?! Nope. Domestic violence!?! Nope.

Anyone claiming assault or DV comes off as a prude.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Again, for the countless time, you are thinking CRIME .. I'm not talking crime. I'm saying the NFL has a lot of leeway and freedom of consideration as to what constitutes "conduct detrimental to the league."

That said, grabbing your girl friend's butt, breast, etc. is a lot different than exposing her breasts, butt, etc.

But using this argument, if non-criminal actions are suspendable, then what is the definition of conduct detrimental to the league. A player giving an interview after the game farts on live tv, is that a suspendable offense under conduct detrimental to the league?

I guess to answer your question..............yes.............if the league wants to just start making up stuff to suspend players for, the only thing they can do is what Zeke did and go to court and argu that it is not fair. Either that or go on strike until the CBA is amended if they feel the commissioner is abusing his power. Go to court or go on strike, nothing really else the players or the union can do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Josh Brown received a 1 game suspension. Then his closed case was reopened and he was suspended indefinitely (so 16 games so far). Now he's suspended another 6 games.

And how many NFL games has Ray Rice played since then? :D

Ray Rice had his suspension vacated. If Brown were to contest this then so would he have his.

The NFL colludes and blackballs. Jerry will not participate in doing so to Zeke.

Don Corleone

Reaction score

How? Simple ..

He banged that girl twice after that incident.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

How? Simple ..

Screw the NFL brass. I hope Goodell choked on yesterday's ruling.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think some people are thinking I'm arguing for this. That's not true at all.

I am simply pointing out that the NFL can still cause problems for Elliott. I'm not saying they are right to do so. I'm not saying they will succeed.

I am simply saying, don't assume this is over for the season yet.
My key take-away from your post is this, don't assume this is over. It seems to me that the NFL has tried to make Zeke a poster child for their personal misconduct and DV policies. Why would they stop now? I believe you're right, nothing they have done so far suggests this is over from the NFL's perspective.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My key take-away from your post is this, don't assume this is over. It seems to me that the NFL has tried to make Zeke a poster child for their personal misconduct and DV policies. Why would they stop now? I believe you're right, nothing they have done so far suggests this is over from the NFL's perspective.
Exactly!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't mind that scenario at all or skip the battle .. just get rid of Goodell :D

This is a transcript from Jerry's interview on 105.3 THE FAN yesterday:

HOW ARE YOU? -- "It's real friends that will wait on you as long as you waited on me, and I apologize. You can tell from my voice I'm hoarse. I have really been rattling here for about six hours on some pretty tough calls."

WHAT KIND OF TOUGH CONFERENCE CALLS WERE THEY THEN? -- "Actually, they were league matters, personnel, salary matters, league matters. Not that I would get into detail, but still it gives you an idea of what a certain day can be like and try to do that sometimes by conference call because normally a meeting like I had today I would have flown there and been in a meeting. But because it's opening weekend, we agreed to do it here. And then frankly we spent quite a bit of time today going over who we plan to have active and who we sit this weekend."

That reads to me like a direct shot across the bow, to a certain someone in the league office, who may have thought they had a contract extension in place and might have jeopardized that.

And I think that what happened yesterday, and the condemnation for the NFL and for how they're handling their business, has only given Jerry more ammo. And I would very much expect more support from other owners as well.

Goodell has used up all of the good will that he gained from the owners in the CBA negotiations. And he's now passed the point of no return by becoming an embarrassing, clown-face for the league.

Time to go.

Pants

Reaction score
minimally, Goodell has two owners who despise him in Dallas and NE - anyone else wanna jump on board?

diefree666

Reaction score
While it is true that you don't have to have victim support in a domestic violence or sexual assault case, it is required that you do have to have a victim. From all the reports, it was consensual between Zeke and the girl so it would be almost impossible to mount a case here. What is the league going to do, argu with their own witness?

NFL lawyer.....so you were sexually assaulted?
Girl............nope

NFL lawyer.....are you sure, what about domestic violence, did Zeke's actions make you feel threatened in any way?
Girl...........nope

NFL lawyer.....I imagine this event is causing you great distress, would that be a fair assessment?
Girl...........nope

NFL lawyer.....dam it, you are a victim and you need to start acting like one
Girl..........are we done yet, I am getting hungry

*****Judge: Ok, I think we have seen enough, thanks for your testimony*******

No way shape or form is it sexual assault especially if you watch the whole video. But he has to stay relevant in his own mind so he is grasping at straws.