The NFL HC Carousel

ghst187

Reaction score
Personally, I think Moore would be foolish to take a head coach position right now unless his dream job is available and wanting to hire him. I do think it is smart that he interviews with any team that requests it so he gains that experience, but the odds would be against him succeeding right now and if that happens it may impact his chances in the future. He needs more (no pun intended) experience and another year or two could greatly improve his chances of head coaching success.

Quinn on the other hand, I think he has to decide does he want to be a head coach again right now. If he knows he wants to be a head coach, then he would be smart to leverage the great job he has done this year in turning around a really bad defense. If he truly is happy being the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys right now, he should keep doing that as I would fully expect him to get more head coach interest from other teams in the years to come.

Either way though, I do not think either of the Cowboys coordinators are irreplaceable. There are and will be good coaches available if that were to happen.

That said, I hope both decide to stay :D

for Quinn, he can only go down from where he’s at now because the turnaround he did with this D won’t happen again, it can’t, now he’s created expectations that he can only meet or fail at.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are currently only 6 coaches with over 8 years with the same team: Belichick 21, Payton 15, Tomlin 14, Harbaugh 13, Carroll 11 and Reid 8.

26 teams with HC's with less than 6 years in the job and currently MIA, MIN, LV, CHI, DEN, NYG, JAX and HOU looking. LV might not count but that could depend on what happens Saturday.

The turnover in coaching is really higher than the usual 20-25% because of those 6 teams that have kept their HC's while division rivals have been through 4 or 5. Since New England hired Belichick in 2000, Dallas is on their 5th HC and had 1 for 10 years!

So, when you wonder why would Moore or Quinn think of that carousel vs staying a coordinator in Dallas, because they will both get brass rings even if it falls apart in 2 or 3 years. Then they will await their turn to get back on the carousel. There's no limit to how many times a coach can ride it.
I bet that many HS coaches would do a great job in the NFL

buddieluver

Reaction score
Can’t believe the Texans fired Culley after a year with a roster full of holes, no draft picks and their franchise QB sidelined. What did they expect?

GM will hire either McDaniels or Flores someone he has history with.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There are currently only 6 coaches with over 8 years with the same team: Belichick 21, Payton 15, Tomlin 14, Harbaugh 13, Carroll 11 and Reid 8.

26 teams with HC's with less than 6 years in the job and currently MIA, MIN, LV, CHI, DEN, NYG, JAX and HOU looking. LV might not count but that could depend on what happens Saturday.

The turnover in coaching is really higher than the usual 20-25% because of those 6 teams that have kept their HC's while division rivals have been through 4 or 5. Since New England hired Belichick in 2000, Dallas is on their 5th HC and had 1 for 10 years!

So, when you wonder why would Moore or Quinn think of that carousel vs staying a coordinator in Dallas, because they will both get brass rings even if it falls apart in 2 or 3 years. Then they will await their turn to get back on the carousel. There's no limit to how many times a coach can ride it.

Funny thing I noticed and it did surprise me a little, but 5 of the 6 coaches you mentioned with more than 8 years with the same team.. 5 of the have HOF Qbs or had HOF qbs.

Strange

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Can’t believe the Texans fired Culley after a year with a roster full of holes, no draft picks and their franchise QB sidelined. What did they expect?
he wasnt hired looking long term. What is the guy? 86 years old?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's not really true. Like Troy Aikman said during that AZ game, there aren't really many third chances. Quinn is less likely to accept a less than stellar opportunity because he knows it might be his last chance. Remember, he was in ATL for 6 years and after the SB choke job it was all downhill there. Also, Quinn's only been out of HCing for 1 year. I don't believe he will be hired to another team. Moore is much more likely to be HC for another team in 2022 because he's considered by -some people- another one of those young boy-wonders and a premier young offensive mind.

Fishers says the exact opposite of you. The Broncos are actually interviewing coaches now... not to be the head coach, but because they are Quinn guys that would be asst coaches for him. Fisher says Quinn is Denver's number 1 guy and if he is offered the job, he is gone. Lets see who is right in a few weeks.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
First off I think Jerry should just pay Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn whatever money it takes to keep them.

There seems to be good continuity and the players like playing for them They are well liked coaches and there is no reason since there is no cap on coaching not to just pay them.

That said if I'm Dan Quinn and I really want a head coaching job I take it now because Dan Quinn didn't turn our defense around Micah Parsons and Diggs turned our defense around.

We had just about the same amount of yards run up on us this year as we did last year with our historically bad defense .

The difference was an extra 25 turnovers created by our young dynamic duo

In my opinion without those two young players on this defense Dan Quinn wouldn't be getting a phone call

you cant pay them head coach money.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Exactly. There is only one Jerry. Moore isn't going to get the JG treatment anywhere and get 10 years to learn on the
job.
arent all first time coordinators and head coaches learning on the job???

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Because he was never hired to be a long term coach. They knew this season would be a dump and did not have time to get a guy who could put his staff together. They hired some guy who was very old and was never considered to be a HC. He was a fill in to endure this crappy season. He did and they will go get someone they really want. Not sure the outrage here.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As a HC you have got to cut ties from a failed member of your staff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL radio was talking about the interview process and the difference in coaches who have been around and young coaches looking for their 1st chance. They said often the owner or GM will ask the candidate what do you like about this ball club and what don't you like. Vet coaches will be quick to say what they don't like and what must change to accept the job. Younger coaches tend to tell owner, I like this team and feel I can make them better. Younger coach eager to please to get the chance, vet coaches know that walking into a bad situation with no real changes will not work.
According to the report, Quinn helped drill and prep Moore for his interview qith JAX. So he got some counseling.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coordinators that fail quickly or spectacularly in their first head coaching job will struggle to get a second chance.

Most head coaches are doomed to be fired at some point, but you would rather be fired 4-5 years down the road after you have had at least one or two good seasons in the past to show you are capable of it.

If Moore takes a job, they go 6-11 or worse and he gets fired after one season, it will be years before he gets another chance, at least in the NFL.

Quinn has a Super Bowl appearance to fall back on, but Moore needs his first head coaching job to last long enough to prove he can handle it.
The one year wonders are not the norm and there are usually underlying reasons other than failure to win. Failure to win over the team is a different story.

I think he would be OK because he's got all of this mojo working for him beginning with his high school coach and then Chris Peterson, his college coach.

I think the NFL is a whole lot of who you know more than what you know, how else could you explain the John Fox's and Norv Turner's and he walked off the job and landed another. It is a much smaller fraternity than we realize and not welcoming to college coaches.

Unless these guys do something really stupid, they will not go without a job because there are not enough of them and plenty of openings.

Blackrain

Reaction score
you cant pay them head coach money.

I can't pay them anything but Jerry's a billionaire and he could up McCarthy's salary and up all their salaries and it wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

What it would do is keep our coaching staff together and the continuity that we have gained together instead of letting everything get blown up

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't pay them anything but Jerry's a billionaire and he could up McCarthy's salary and up all their salaries and it wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

What it would do is keep our coaching staff together and the continuity that we have gained together instead of letting everything get blown up
I think these owners have an "agreement" about how coaches are to be paid to keep it from getting out of hand. 3M seems to be the ceiling on coordinators from what I've seen.

I do not see these guys playing keep away from each other with coaches using money.

And I do not think it is about the money with Quinn, if he leaves for a HC job.

Zman5

Reaction score
arent all first time coordinators and head coaches learning on the job???

Technically yes but having much more experience will make that jump much easier. It's no different than the corporate world. Someone who's been a manager for 10 years will be in better position to make a more successful transition to becoming a Senior Manager than someone who's been a manager for only few years.

Becoming a HC is much more than just knowing the Xs and Os. Just like corporate world, being in a senior management position requires knowing how to manage people, build relationships, having a network of other people in the industry. This is as important as just having the job expertise. All of that comes with years of experience on the job.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fishers says the exact opposite of you. The Broncos are actually interviewing coaches now... not to be the head coach, but because they are Quinn guys that would be asst coaches for him. Fisher says Quinn is Denver's number 1 guy and if he is offered the job, he is gone. Lets see who is right in a few weeks.

They have also interviewed TWO Packers assistants fro HC jobs but word is, they are hoping to sign one as an OC. Looking at the QB situation, what does this tell ya? I'm thinking going hard after Rogers. Those three moves would make them SB contenders instantly.......Quinn take care of the D and leave the offense to Rogers and one of his former Packer assistant.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Personally, I think Moore would be foolish to take a head coach position right now unless his dream job is available and wanting to hire him. I do think it is smart that he interviews with any team that requests it so he gains that experience, but the odds would be against him succeeding right now and if that happens it may impact his chances in the future. He needs more (no pun intended) experience and another year or two could greatly improve his chances of head coaching success.

Quinn on the other hand, I think he has to decide does he want to be a head coach again right now. If he knows he wants to be a head coach, then he would be smart to leverage the great job he has done this year in turning around a really bad defense. If he truly is happy being the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys right now, he should keep doing that as I would fully expect him to get more head coach interest from other teams in the years to come.

Either way though, I do not think either of the Cowboys coordinators are irreplaceable. There are and will be good coaches available if that were to happen.

That said, I hope both decide to stay :D
Hope Quinn stays
Hope Moore gets a HC gig.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
surely you jest. Anybody that is as competive as he is would take his skills against anyone just to show that HE is the best.
nah, he is in it for the auto-bid into the playoffs to try and get SB #2.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The GM's are pretty good at watching the HC's to see if they command the room and the team. Getting the job is only half the battle, the real battle begins in winning the team over.

Parcells did not win the team over immediately, he worked harder at that in Dallas than any other team he was on. He knew he had to change the culture before anything else would change.