The NFL HC Carousel

Bigdog

Reaction score
The one name that I have not heard much about getting interviews that I believe should is KC OC Eric Benemien.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to the report, Quinn helped drill and prep Moore for his interview qith JAX. So he got some counseling.
That to me is the premiere opening for an offensive guru in the making. Arguably the hottest QB prospect in several years and nowhere to go but up.

Just need a few key offensive talents and build an explosive offense that will generate interest. Who cares if your defense can stop anyone . Invest all of your capital on making Trevor the next Super star. That’s what wins you over with the fans and the media.

Jags get 3 of the top 100 pics in the draft. Their QB only cost them 8 mil a year on rookie contract. Go sign some talent.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It is a much smaller fraternity than we realize and not welcoming to college coaches.

Unless these guys do something really stupid, they will not go without a job because there are not enough of them and plenty of openings.
yes and the owners limit themselves with this boys club of coaches.
Most of these guys are not leaders or really smart they are just x and o guys who are part of the club.
And they do have lifetime jobs, be it on one team or another , in any position.

This sort of fits in with nfl manipulation of games, the refs etc. These guys have lifetime jobs as long as they dont rock the boat.
They have the HC jobs as incentive for these guys to work towards.

I think culley in houston was a interim hire all along. But he got a payday and be a HC for a year.
It is all rather weird and flaky.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Next attractive place is prob Chicago. Much of same reasons. You have a QB to build around with Fields.

Denver could be attractive if you can get a QB like Rodgers or Wilson. Could be an instant contender with their defense.

Giants need another QB and more. Starting from scratch. Houston same thing.

Miami is interesting. Have a decent QB. A.500 team but ownership will expect immediate results. Red flags.

Raiders could be the premiere place to land with a playoff team . Again though , expectations will be high. Could be a good spot for Quinn, maybe Miami too.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think these owners have an "agreement" about how coaches are to be paid to keep it from getting out of hand. 3M seems to be the ceiling on coordinators from what I've seen.

I do not see these guys playing keep away from each other with coaches using money.

And I do not think it is about the money with Quinn, if he leaves for a HC job.

I wasn't aware that the owners had any kind of an agreement on that I just knew that there was not an official cap on coaching.

So I figured Jerry was certainly financially capable of keeping the staff together which in my opinion is important for this team.

Not every day that we acquire a coaching staff that gets us 12 wins

Praxit

Reaction score
....forget about rebuilding. These organizations want super bowl's now....lol.. Thats why turnover rate is high.

So many variables come into play in making a good, contending team.

Might be good thing in disguise for Dallas. Moore and Quinn can get the picture or roll the dice.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
nah, he is in it for the auto-bid into the playoffs to try and get SB #2.
LOL, I am pretty sure what he said to Hub Arkush would be applicable to you too. Unless you can enlighten us for how you know him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The one name that I have not heard much about getting interviews that I believe should is KC OC Eric Benemien.
he was not looked at last year, either they think he wont leave, or it is talented players more than scheme.
Sometimes players make coaches look better than they are, the opposite is true also.
Each owner ( and we know some are morons or odd people) and the GM will be looking for who knows what in the next HC.
jerry talked to MM and heard bells lol.
Giants talked to judge and thought he was the guy lol

So really these billionaires are liable to hire anyone for reasons we would think is kinda stupid.

I think it is also likability and if they like a guy and think they can work with him easily , then they just hire him lol.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Can’t believe the Texans fired Culley after a year with a roster full of holes, no draft picks and their franchise QB sidelined. What did they expect?

Culley was jobbed, as was Flores. Imagine your Flores. You TOLD the GM you wanted Justin Herbert. Instead, they ship you Tua. Tua may end up with a fine career, but I’m just sayin’……

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Culley was jobbed, as was Flores. Imagine your Flores. You TOLD the GM you wanted Justin Herbert. Instead, they ship you Tua. Tua may end up with a fine career, but I’m just sayin’……
gm and hc have to work well together, and these 2 didnt.
owner had to choose one and fire the other, he chose the gm.
Plus the owner may have someone he likes better lined up to take over.
To these owners, this is their toy and they like to enjoy playing with it more than winning SB.
I dont think flores was fun to work with .

Flores needs to work on his social skills, because that is part of getting and keeping a HC job.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They have also interviewed TWO Packers assistants fro HC jobs but word is, they are hoping to sign one as an OC. Looking at the QB situation, what does this tell ya? I'm thinking going hard after Rogers. Those three moves would make them SB contenders instantly.......Quinn take care of the D and leave the offense to Rogers and one of his former Packer assistant.

Like I said, the coaches being interviewed are Quinn guys. So is this just preparation for bringing quinn over? According to Fish it is.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Technically yes but having much more experience will make that jump much easier. It's no different than the corporate world. Someone who's been a manager for 10 years will be in better position to make a more successful transition to becoming a Senior Manager than someone who's been a manager for only few years.

Becoming a HC is much more than just knowing the Xs and Os. Just like corporate world, being in a senior management position requires knowing how to manage people, build relationships, having a network of other people in the industry. This is as important as just having the job expertise. All of that comes with years of experience on the job.

I do not know the answer to all of these guys... but how much experience did McVay, Lafleur, Staley and kingsbury have in those positions?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There are currently only 6 coaches with over 8 years with the same team: Belichick 21, Payton 15, Tomlin 14, Harbaugh 13, Carroll 11 and Reid 8.

Belichick had Brady for 18 or 19 years.
Payton had Brees for 14 years.
Tomlin had Big Ben for all 14.
Carroll has had Wilson for 9 or 10 years.
Reid has had Mahomes the last 5 years after Alex Smith.
Harbaugh had Flacco followed by Jackson.

Quality/stability at QB seems important. Go look at what the guys who got fired this year have dealt with at that position during their last job.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
LOL, I am pretty sure what he said to Hub Arkush would be applicable to you too. Unless you can enlighten us for how you know him.

LOL. you may well be the most histrionic person on this board.

He has my vote for MVP. I like him. My point was that Tom Brady didn't Choose Jacksonville or Miami or Denver or SF. He went to the NFC South where it was half the battle getting into the playoffs.

If you think a late-30s QB is going to pick a team that may not win a division or have a complete team, then keep on truckin with brain power.

And maybe my wife knows Shailene living here in Calabasas. or maybe not. But I know him no less than you

Zman5

Reaction score
I do not know the answer to all of these guys... but how much experience did McVay, Lafleur, Staley and kingsbury have in those positions?

McVay had 10 years of coaching experience with multiple teams in the pros before getting his shot with the Rams. Lafleur had 15 years of coaching experience both in college and pros. Staley had over 10 years of coaching experience both in college and pros. Kingsbury had 10 years of college coaching experience and 5 years of that being a HC.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
McVay had 10 years of coaching experience with multiple teams in the pros before getting his shot with the Rams. Lafleur had 15 years of coaching experience both in college and pros. Staley had over 10 years of coaching experience both in college and pros. Kingsbury had 10 years of college coaching experience and 5 years of that being a HC.
How much experience... even COMBINED did all of them have as an O or D coordinator or head coach?

Zman5

Reaction score
How much experience... even COMBINED did all of them have as an O or D coordinator or head coach?

What part of the "Having more experience makes a difference" aren't you getting? In anything in life. Do you think an entry level worker will have as good of chance being a senior level employee or someone who has been working for 10 years?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Can’t believe the Texans fired Culley after a year with a roster full of holes, no draft picks and their franchise QB sidelined. What did they expect?
That owner, Sonny Boy, is a total klutz.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It was reported that he wasn’t a long-term answer. They may not have been able to get the HC they wanted and settled on him. Whoever they replace him with is going to want a guarantee they’re going to at least be given a couple of years. The Texans are a mess and are going to have to find a QB. It’s a wonder they won four games.