The NFL HC Carousel

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So according to you, you would trust and be OK with someone to lead you to battle that had no military experience. Because it's overrated. LOL.
why would anyone want to compare PRO SPORTS with any real world job is beyond me.

i could have zero coaching experience and coach the 90s bulls, or the 80s showtime lakers.
You have been in the military? I doubt it or you wouldnt have tried to make such a ridiculous comparison. Dont twist what I am saying. You keep telling me that I dont know how the "Real world," works. Yet it is you that somehow thinks pro sports is somehow close to the real world.

Zman5

Reaction score
COACHING experience. I dont put a lot of stock in being the asst to the asst TE coach.

Im curious is not winning the SB the definition of failing in the NFL?

I will make myself as clear as possible on this topic though... I dont care at all who the head coach is. So keep that in mind when you try to put me in a box in regards to JG, or Mike, or Moore, or any other coach.

Being any type of coach for however long is better than not having that experience. For many reasons I mentioned previously (networking, building relationship, learning from senior coaches, etc.). MM talked about how he learned so much when he was working as a graduate assistant at Pitt. I've seen many interviews by HC where they talk about how much positive affect the early years had as assistant coaches.

Zman5

Reaction score
why would anyone want to compare PRO SPORTS with any real world job is beyond me.

i could have zero coaching experience and coach the 90s bulls, or the 80s showtime lakers.
You have been in the military? I doubt it or you wouldnt have tried to make such a ridiculous comparison. Dont twist what I am saying. You keep telling me that I dont know how the "Real world," works. Yet it is you that somehow thinks pro sports is somehow close to the real world.

Yeh anyone could be hired with zero coaching experience and coach the 90s bulls, or the 80s showtime lakers. It doesn't mean it's good idea to do so.
Jerry "could" hire one of his teenage grandsons to become the next HC of the Cowboys. Do you think that would be a good thing to do?

Pro sports are a business organization. No different than any other big corporate business. Do you think Apple or Tesla will hire a CEO who has no experience?
I grew up in a military family and worked within a military organization for long time. I know how military people think and act. The way you talk, I doubt you were in the military.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Being any type of coach for however long is better than not having that experience. For many reasons I mentioned previously (networking, building relationship, learning from senior coaches, etc.). MM talked about how he learned so much when he was working as a graduate assistant at Pitt. I've seen many interviews by HC where they talk about how much positive affect the early years had as assistant coaches.

There is no doubt that what you just said is correct. I dont expect you to have read my previous posts on this topic, but it is my belief that ALL of these guys have that same experience you describe. Any D or O coordinator and especially head coach in the NFL.. they have lived the sport most of their life. They eat, drink, breath the sport all year long. They all learn from other coaches. They are all a part of some coachng tree that has a very experienced coach at the top. And that is why I dont care who the coach is. None of the current "Great coaches," have some magic potion or monopoly on great coaching strategies, plays, or play calling.

Quinn ucked in ATL as soon as they blew the SB. He left the Falcons in HORRIBLE shape. he comes to Dallas in an absolute perfect position, meaning Diggs in his 2nd year, they drafted one of the best defensive rookies of the past 30 plus years, he gets Gregory not testing for weed, they bring in some free agents that have worked out.. and all of the sudden Quinn is a coaching Guru again. What about what he did with the Falcons the past 3 seasons?

Again, im not saying hes bad, im saying its all about the players.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeh anyone could be hired with zero coaching experience and coach the 90s bulls, or the 80s showtime lakers. It doesn't mean it's good idea to do so.
Jerry "could" hire one of his teenage grandsons to become the next HC of the Cowboys. Do you think that would be a good thing to do?

Pro sports are a business organization. No different than any other big corporate business. Do you think Apple or Tesla will hire a CEO who has no experience?
I grew up in a military family and worked within a military organization for long time. I know how military people think and act. The way you talk, I doubt you were in the military.

well if you think I come on a Cowboys forum and absolutely bold face lie about being in the military, then not much of a reason for us to have a conversation.

USMC 1988-1992
6112 Ch-46e mechanic
Gulf War veteran spent time at Al Jubayl and left my 3 year od daughter and wife to go over seas and Im gonna listen to you call me a liar about serving?

Zman5

Reaction score
There is no doubt that what you just said is correct. I dont expect you to have read my previous posts on this topic, but it is my belief that ALL of these guys have that same experience you describe. Any D or O coordinator and especially head coach in the NFL.. they have lived the sport most of their life. They eat, drink, breath the sport all year long. They all learn from other coaches. They are all a part of some coachng tree that has a very experienced coach at the top. And that is why I dont care who the coach is. None of the current "Great coaches," have some magic potion or monopoly on great coaching strategies, plays, or play calling.

Quinn ucked in ATL as soon as they blew the SB. He left the Falcons in HORRIBLE shape. he comes to Dallas in an absolute perfect position, meaning Diggs in his 2nd year, they drafted one of the best defensive rookies of the past 30 plus years, he gets Gregory not testing for weed, they bring in some free agents that have worked out.. and all of the sudden Quinn is a coaching Guru again. What about what he did with the Falcons the past 3 seasons?

Again, im not saying hes bad, im saying its all about the players.

It's all about players and "coaches". I doubt our defense would be as good it is this year if Nolan was still the coach. Go look up what Bum Phillips said about coaches and players.

Zman5

Reaction score
well if you think I come on a Cowboys forum and absolutely bold face lie about being in the military, then not much of a reason for us to have a conversation.

USMC 1988-1992
6112 Ch-46e mechanic
Gulf War veteran spent time at Al Jubayl and left my 3 year od daughter and wife to go over seas and Im gonna listen to you call me a liar about serving?

That doesn't prove anything. And for you to put that out there is the reason I have doubts as military personnel is advised to never put that type of info out on the internet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, Quinn seems too happy doing what he's doing to leave the job after this one season. I just sense there is another chapter of DQ with this Cowboys defense. As for Moore, the Jones family loves that guy so if he wishes to stay, he will have that OC job waiting on him. If Moore gets offered an HC job elsewhere, I'm sure Jerry will try to talk him out of it before they let him go. I don't think he's ready to be an HC and it would be a bad move for his career at this point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vikes were dumb to fire Zimmer.
I don't know, can say the same about the Eagles firing Reid or the Broncos firing Reeves, sometimes they sense the fans are ready for a change. I think SEA is close to parting ways with Carroll because of that.

cowboybish

Reaction score
First off I think Jerry should just pay Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn whatever money it takes to keep them.
I agree and have said this as well - I think Jerry pays them enough to stay. There's a good thing happening right now and one more year with a few new additions and we should be even more ready for the SB run than this year.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree and have said this as well - I think Jerry pays them enough to stay. There's a good thing happening right now and one more year with a few new additions and we should be even more ready for the SB run than this year.

Yep if ever there was a time Jerry could use his money to keep a good thing going this would be it.

There is no cap on coaching and in my mind no reason why we should let the rest of the league pirate our coaching staff that won us 12 games.

I'm not sure they are the absolute best coaches but our players seem to respond well to them and I think in this day and age that is half the battle.