The NFL Refs killed us in this game

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I refuse to blame the refs. Sure a call here or call there could or couldn't of been made, but thats football.

There has only been one sporting event in my life that I thought was rigged, and I will go to my grave believing something was fishy.

Mavs vs Heat. Games 4,5,6 of the finals. And nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

When Tracy McGrady is qouted publicly a week later saying....."I thought it was rigged"........you know there may be problems.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team played like $h!+ and they were not at all mentally prepared for the game. Blame all around - but not the referees.

alancdc

Reaction score
The biggest back breaker IMO was the BS Davis penalty. Instead of 1st and 10 from the 40 we are back at our own 10. Next, Crayton drops "the" pass that would have put us up 24-14 probably. We punt and that hack RW runs it back to the 30+- yard line where they eventually score to go up 21-17. If they don't call that penalty we have it at the 40 and at the very least change field position with a better punt and hopefully better coverage. It was 17-14 at the point of the Davis pancake of Gap Tooth and it did destroy our mo. Should we have STILL won the game??? Absolutely. However, I would expect that anyone would agree that there are times when certain things don't go your way throughout a game that might have changed the outcome of the game. This was clearly one series that was a disaster AFTER the penalty that I have still say I have NEVER seen before and will NEVER see again in my lifetime.

jman

Reaction score
Enough PLEASE!!!!!!!!

We lost, let all move on.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
burmafrd;1907694 said:
The NFL makes more money then any other sport in the world. Yet they refuse to have full time officials.

Yakuza Rich;1907702 said:
That and there needs to be more refs on the field. That way you don't have to worry about a Champ Bailey returning an INT for a TD and some ref trying to keep up with him.

Full time refs for 16-24 games ? Its not like the NBA, NHL, or MLB, who probably have too many games.

The cameras are the extra refs on the field. Maybe the challenge rules need to be broadened, but I dont see the need for more refs.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;1907780 said:
Absolutely.

I'd add that it was not the referees' fault that Bigg Davis nailed Strahan while he was on the ground.

It was not the referees' fault that Reeves yanked Smith's facemask that exacerbated that 1st half ending TD drive.

It was not the referees' fault that Crayton dropped those balls.

It was not the referees' fault that Romo, Garret et al botched the 2 minute drill to end the game.

It was not the referees' fault that they failed to get into the endzone in the 3rd quarter and only ended up with a FG.

It was not the referees' fault that the special teams unit couldn't wrap up McQuarters punt return that set up the go ahead Giant TD.

Come on, all this whining about the calls...The calls were bad but they didn't cost the Boys the game. :rolleyes:
That all sounds good. people saying the refs had nothing to do with it.but tell me why there were no big calls against the giants? im still waiting. i just went back and watched this game again today. D.Ware was tackled 3 times with no call. come on tell me why folks.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If you complain about the reffing, in some people's minds it's whining.

Or it could just be that sense of justice that some people have. Call it fairly and consistently, or don't be a ref. That's what you're paid to do. If they want to let superstars get away with stuff than your average Joe can't, for example letting Moss push off on almost every catch in the endzone without a call, then go ref in the NBA.

Regardless of what people say, penalties have an effect on the game. And if they have an effect on the game, then those who call them also have an effect on the game if they distort the calls, or are just blatantly wrong.

Penalties add up, and in the age of parity where one team isn't that much greater than the other, that has an effect on the outcome of a game. It slowly wears on the team because converting down and distance becomes much harder. This is just common sense people. It's not whining.

jimmy40

Reaction score
cowboyrock;1907807 said:
That all sounds good. people saying the refs had nothing to do with it.but tell me why there were no big calls against the giants? im still waiting. i just went back and watched this game again today. D.Ware was tackled 3 times with no call. come on tell me why folks.
Obviously the NFL didn't want their most popular team the Cowboys making it to the Super Bowl against an undefeated Patriots team and setting all time TV ratings for a Super Bowl. It all makes so much sense now. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1907795 said:
Full time refs for 16-24 games ? Its not like the NBA, NHL, or MLB, who probably have too many games.

The cameras are the extra refs on the field. Maybe the challenge rules need to be broadened, but I dont see the need for more refs.

That brings up a good point - you would have to broaden challenge rules to include reviewing certain penalties. That's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1907795 said:
Full time refs for 16-24 games ? Its not like the NBA, NHL, or MLB, who probably have too many games. .

That's why it should work. I believe the NFL refs get paid something like $200K per year. They are already paid an ample amount, so it's not like they would be underpaid if they were forced to be full time.

The cameras are the extra refs on the field. Maybe the challenge rules need to be broadened, but I dont see the need for more refs

You could do it with 2 more on the field. Either that or they need to adopt the college review system (which I'm more in favor for). But with the current system it's too hard for the refs to be in every place at every time and while a camera may overturn it...it may not. It also costs possible challenges.

I'd be more than happy with the league going to the college review system, but I don't see it happening for whatever reason.

YAKUZA

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Quick point for Rich, The sponsors are the reason for the type of review system they have now. They want to shorten the game. Saturday night programming on networks usually sucks anyway. On Sundays they have a captive audience, if not drunk or just getting home.

I will address the other points in a sec.

Boysboy

Reaction score
cowboyrock;1907560 said:
I taped the game and went back and watched it today. this is a disgrace to the NFL. the Offsides on Ware that lead to the giants first score,was a joke. and Jerry Jones said today that the NFL now says that was not grounding on Romo. that was a big call that killed our drive. and they let the gaints DB's keep their hands on our recievers 10 yards down field.no wonder our recievers could not get open a lot of times. they also refused to call any big calls on the giants. 2 for 15 yards. what a joke. their O-Linemen, were holding on a lot of plays with no calls. im not making excuses. we still should have have won this game. but you should not be getting these kind of calls when you are a number one seed playing at home.as for Wade phillips. Wade can say all the positive things he wants, but this team didn’t make a step it was supposed to this year. When push came to shove this year’s team did what last year’s team did …. They backed out of a playoff win and did whatever it could to find a way to lose. despite the cowboys hating NFL refs. we still should have won this game. we found a freaking way to lose it again. SICKENING!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gurode also got away with snapping the ball AFTER the playclock hit zero, and our OL got away with quite a few false starts-if anything, we were fortunate that we got 3 pts on our last scoring drive.

Doesn't matter-we had a golden opportunity to finish off this magical season this year, and we BLEW IT.

Let's move on now.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1907902 said:
That brings up a good point - you would have to broaden challenge rules to include reviewing certain penalties. That's a whole 'nother can of worms.

It is indeed, but to what limitations. These guys go back and forth about this and big teams like the Commanders and Cowboys also have local programming to contend with.

Yakuza Rich;1907916 said:
That's why it should work. I believe the NFL refs get paid something like $200K per year. They are already paid an ample amount, so it's not like they would be underpaid if they were forced to be full time.

Yeah, they are paid just like anyone else based on tenure and production, but still why should they have to be forced to not work another job during the rest of the week if they so choose ?

wahoofan22

Reaction score
The one that really pissed me off was the 'rouging Strahan' call. Davis' back was to Romo and he couldn't see if the ball was out of his hands or not. Whatever - he should have made him a permanent fixture in the Texas Stadium turf.

Boysboy

Reaction score
wahoofan22;1907957 said:
The one that really pissed me off was the 'rouging Strahan' call. Davis' back was to Romo and he couldn't see if the ball was out of his hands or not. Whatever - he should have made him a permanent fixture in the Texas Stadium turf.

Not sure what the rules are, but Aikman said the officials got it right-you can't go helmet-helmet like that either.

I hate to say it, but we got the benefit of the calls in our 2 meetings with them(i.e. the phantom hold on Bradshaw's long KR in gm2, followed by Snee's phantom hold on Roy when they punched in the tieing score, Crayton's false start not called on our last TD in gm1, etc). Not that if affected the outcome when all was said and done, but just saying.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1907969 said:
let's not be like other boards, and just admit we lost because of two stupid penalties...

Because convincing ourselves that we got screwed is so much more seductive.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1907969 said:
let's not be like other boards, and just admit we lost because of two stupid penalties...

I readily admist that the Cowboys lost because of other reasons. It's just frustrating to see a league that does so many things so well still have substandard refereeing.

It's like going to great restaurant that has crappy parking. It won't sway me away from coming, but not attempting to fix the problem is aggravating.

YAKUZA

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;1907898 said:
Obviously the NFL didn't want their most popular team the Cowboys making it to the Super Bowl against an undefeated Patriots team and setting all time TV ratings for a Super Bowl. It all makes so much sense now. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:
Nope. they want either Bret Farve, or a manning. how about that?