CFZ The NFL teaches another lesson this week

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You see it on our forum all the time. Fans look at the schedule and pick wins and losses. A bad loss means a team sucks. A big win makes a team unbeatable. Until the next week. The Cowboys looked unbeatable the first two weeks. Then the cards and niners had something to say about that.

So who had the browns winning today? The jets beating the e-girls? The chiefs struggling with the hapless broncos? The giants should have won in Buffalo tonight. Jalen Hurts now has more picks (7) than he had all of last year. None of us saw that right?

I have no idea what’s going to happen to our Cowboys tomorrow night against the chargers. But I can say nothing would surprise me. Whatever any of us think we know how things will turn out this year, we don’t know.

It‘s a long season. The Cowboys are still in the thick of everything. But I won’t buy any contender hype again until I see some grit and toughness from this team for a change.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You see it on our forum all the time. Fans look at the schedule and pick wins and losses. A bad loss means a team sucks. A big win makes a team unbeatable. Until the next week. The Cowboys looked unbeatable the first two weeks. Then the cards and niners had something to say about that.

So who had the browns winning today? The jets beating the e-girls? The chiefs struggling with the hapless broncos? The giants should have won in Buffalo tonight. Jalen Hurts now has more picks (7) than he had all of last year. None of us saw that right?

I have no idea what’s going to happen to our Cowboys tomorrow night against the chargers. But I can say nothing would surprise me. Whatever any of us think we know how things will turn out this year, we don’t know.

It‘s a long season. The Cowboys are still in the thick of everything. But I won’t buy any contender hype again until I see some grit and toughness from this team for a change.
Good points Bob, however,
That Cardinals loss is looking worse by the week.

Nav22

Reaction score
Enjoy the ride.

Miserable fans will always find a reason to be miserable.

Someone on here was arguing with me the other day about how they didn't enjoy Super Bowl XXX because "we could've had 4 straight but Jerry screwed things up."

If you can't enjoy a SB win or even a playoff win like the 2022 Bucs WC game, I feel sorry for you.

"But I know how this story will end!!!"

No, you don't. That's why you watch.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

We face a mutant QB tomorrow and they get Ekeler back.

I don’t know why Vegas has us favored honestly.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Aren’t Vegas odds always based on what they think bettors will do? Not what makes the most sense. Yeah, I’m shocked we’re favored.
Well, depending how you look at it. The lines are based on what they think bettors will do but also to influence bettors decisions. The goal being to have the money as close to as even as possible and the probability as close to even as possible.

That’s why they will move lines if too much money is coming in one way or another.

WTtoolman

Reaction score

Dang, that's a great post! We need more like this!!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One thing I believe happens is that for some teams, certain games stand out on the schedule.

Sometimes that's a division rival or conference rival who is consirdered the favorite or sometimes it's simply because the team is popular at the time.

Winning in-season Super Bowl-like games can help a struggling team get on or back on track but it can also make a good team over-confident when playing lesser opponents.

The Cowboys had that happen against the Cardinals after embarassing the Giants and Jets.

They beat the Patriots easily (like other teams are doing) and then got out-played, out-coached and out-muscled by a really good team. Then that really good team goes out this week and loses to a team they expected to beat easily.

The difference in team performace each game is a lot closer than most people realize, including fans as well as the players themselves.

A couple of bad bounces, fumbles, interceptions, special team scores or blunders and even a missed tackle or two can greatly impact the outcome of a game.

If the Cowboys played the Giants in week #2 with the same roster on both teams, I doubt it would have been another 40-0 blow out just like if the Cowboys played the 49ers again right now, I doubt it would be a 42-10 blowout.

The only thing the regular season does is help decide who gets to play in the playoffs. The playoffs do not care what your record was in the regular season. It cares about one thing .. are you playing well enough to win right now.

For example, in MLB, the top 5 teams in the 2023 season lost in the playoffs.

I cannot speak for all Cowboys fans, but for me, I no longer care about playoff seedings. For most teams it is better to play at home in the playoffs, but I grew up playing sports and one important thing I learned was good teams find a way to win games when it matters.

There are no excuses. A good team finds a way to win the game when it matters.

The Cowboys have had great regular season teams many times over the last 28 years yet have failed to make it to the NFC Championship game much less the Super Bowl.

I don't care if they go 9-8 as long as 1) they make the playoffs and 2) they win every post-season game they play.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I believe happens is that for some teams, certain games stand out on the schedule.

Sometimes that's a division rival or conference rival who is consirdered the favorite or sometimes it's simply because the team is popular at the time.

Winning in-season Super Bowl-like games can help a struggling team get on or back on track but it can also make a good team over-confident when playing lesser opponents.

The Cowboys had that happen against the Cardinals after embarassing the Giants and Jets.

They beat the Patriots easily (like other teams are doing) and then got out-played, out-coached and out-muscled by a really good team. Then that really good team goes out this week and loses to a team they expected to beat easily.

The difference in team performace each game is a lot closer than most people realize, including fans as well as the players themselves.

A couple of bad bounces, fumbles, interceptions, special team scores or blunders and even a missed tackle or two can greatly impact the outcome of a game.

If the Cowboys played the Giants in week #2 with the same roster on both teams, I doubt it would have been another 40-0 blow out just like if the Cowboys played the 49ers again right now, I doubt it would be a 42-10 blowout.

The only thing the regular season does is help decide who gets to play in the playoffs. The playoffs do not care what your record was in the regular season. It cares about one thing .. are you playing well enough to win right now.

For example, in MLB, the top 5 teams in the 2023 season lost in the playoffs.

I cannot speak for all Cowboys fans, but for me, I no longer care about playoff seedings. For most teams it is better to play at home in the playoffs, but I grew up playing sports and one important thing I learned was good teams find a way to win games when it matters.

There are no excuses. A good team finds a way to win the game when it matters.

The Cowboys have had great regular season teams many times over the last 28 years yet have failed to make it to the NFC Championship game much less the Super Bowl.

I don't care if they go 9-8 as long as 1) they make the playoffs and 2) they win every post-season game they play.
Loved this line from this post, ”The playoffs do not care what your record was in the regular season. It cares about one thing .. are you playing well enough to win right now.”

erod

Reaction score

The best teams often sleep walk through games against bad teams, and sometimes they even lose.

But those same teams know how to step up in the games that really matter and perform.

That's not us.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Only lesson I learned today is how pathetic our team is. We badly lost to the 49ers— who were torn apart by the brown down Browns of all teams. Cardinals keep looking like the Top 3 draft pick team every week yet we struggled heavily against them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Week to week league. We see proof every Sunday. You can't read to much into each week.

One thing is ALWAYS true - you are never as good as you look on your best day and never as bad as you look on your worst day.

If you consider both the above statements, it's easier to make sense of the season as it goes along.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only lesson I learned today is how pathetic our team is. We badly lost to the 49ers— who were torn apart by the brown down Browns of all teams. Cardinals keep looking like the Top 3 draft pick team every week yet we struggled heavily against them.
See my above post to prove how wrong you are.