The offensive line without Tyron

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

1) Draft a left tackle at 24

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

2) Move Tyler to LT and draft an OG in the top 60.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

3) Move Tyler to LT, play one of the 2nd year guys (Bass or Richards) at LG

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are people in here that think Asim Richards can do it. I am not of that opinion.
Left guard or Left Tackle?

Long term, I think he could be a quality LG. I dont see that as a good option in 2024 though

For Richards to be a LT, you would have to believe in fairies and that one will sprinkle him with NFL LT Dust

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are people in here that think Asim Richards can do it. I am not of that opinion.
There's others that feel that another player on this team can do it, and I"M not of that opinion!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You’re best bet is kick Tyler to LT, hope Bass and can handle LG or draft a LG.

A lot of these tackles are mostly projected guards and right tackles.
why mess up something that's going well?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Mims and Guyton both have LT traits and skill sets. My only concern counting on one of the them is Guyton's floor. Im very confident Mims could lock down LT from day 1

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.
Remember Capt- we DON"T draft for need!! Anyways, I think there's a lot of OT draft, that we could look to in later rounds, is it starting quality, maybe maybe not, but plug in richards for a bit, or have him battle it with the rookie

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The kid from Georgia that's only played a few games, he's SUCH a Cowboys player, I can't wait until we sign him so i can go play in traffic!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tm1119

Reaction score
The big flaw with your option #1 is that neither Guyton or Mims play LT. Obviously they are talented and could make the transition eventually, but drafting either of those 2 to be your starting LT day 1 is a giant risk.

Just commit to Tyler at LT and draft a C in round 1 or 2. I’m fine with Bass/Richards/Hoffman/cheap vet signing competing for the LG spot.

Smith22

Reaction score
Would love it if he could take tyron's spot, but he didn't see the field last year so we have to assume he can't at this time.

CWR

Reaction score

Which again makes me question why they moved him back to guard in the first place.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind taking Jordan Morgan or Troy Fautanu if available. This would give flexibility with Guard or Tackle on the line. Think Mims might of jumped up in the draft were he will not be available now. It is kind of funny that all the experts were adamant last year about Tyler Smith at LT and now its keeping him at guard.

Carson

Reaction score
Mims and Guyton both have LT traits and skill sets. My only concern counting on one of the them is Guyton's floor. Im very confident Mims could lock down LT from day 1
Mims started 8 college games. Only 6 last year. He also played Right tackle.

Not saying that he or Guyton can’t make that transition or won’t. It just worries me he has had a few injuries and that’s a big switch.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Has Mims ever played left tackle. The film I have seen he is the right tackle for Georgia. Mims has boom or bust written all over him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And you guys would be of the same group of fans who questioned the Tyler Smith move that never believed in current steel preinjury and lot of people thought Doug free was trash around here and they wanted to run out Connor Williams which it looks like both Connor Williams and ConnorM both have found roles on other teams...

Once a guy gets reps goes through another training camp is told that this is going to be his position and starts to work and gets real time on the field you never know what they can turn into you have no idea you may not believe in the guy but he has a similar body type as Tyler Smith and I believe he can be developed all players can be developed if they have some base talent and he's got the size and the base talent now can we develop them sure but don't be here dismissing what I'm saying above they said Tyler Smith was a bad move just like Travis Frederick also I remember some blowback about the way we got him there's been a lot of fans who have been very wrong about a lot of things the Cowboys have done just because they miss here and there and the draft like other teams...​

I think they have a lot of options of Richards, Hoffman, bass and they got a little less impossibly using Wally or even a mid-level FA vet. im not going to freak out TS77 is not the same guy he once was and not reliable.. Saying Jerry and Stephen are lowballing the guy is ridiculous they should be offering him a smaller contract that is full of escalators and bonuses for playing time in production there is no way you should sign this guy to anything close to a regular starting left tackle money that's the reality half this place been trying to run him out for years saying the Cowboys are always too late in getting rid of some of their favorite players now they're gonna try to make a move and everyone's freaking out about it...smh

At some point the fan base got to realize you can't keep getting high end resources at every position along the offensive line you can't spend all your money and all your resources there some teams have a couple really good players and then they have some good to average players and they make it work with scheme play calling and you know the rest of the team around them being somewhat good you know like getting a better running back...​

Every time I see a post like this Oh my God what are we going to do without tyron, we played awful lot of games without Tyron Smith by the way we've seen what playing without Tyron Smith and with him , what has it done for us exactly Like the 28 year drought , hes been part of that , right?

. so the reality was this was going to happen eventually... But let the coaching staff figure this out that's what OTA's and mini camps and all the practices are for in the offseason leaning up the training camp and then in preseason..

blueblood70

Reaction score

Those are all options and it's great we have seven months to figure it out just keep that in mind everybody around here freaking out about every little move and realize we have seven months to get this worked out that's a long offseason I know it starts in a couple weeks with the franchise tags and free agency but I'm sure they'll get it worked out....

Creeper

Reaction score
Tyron was not the only problem on the OL. He is not the great run blocker he once was but he was solid in pass protection. I do not expect any rookie to come in and be that solid his first year, not drafting at 24 anyway.

What if they don't draft an LT this year and move Tyler Smith out there? I suspect they could find an OG in the draft or move Bass to LG. We did not get to see enough of Bass and Hoffman last year to know for sure but both looked okay in the limited time they played. Still, who wants to go into the season depending on either one of them?

The other problem is Biadasz at C. Is he staying or going? If they don't sign Biadasz and they need to draft a C, then we are looking at using 2 draft picks on the OL when we need good players for the defense front 7. AND we have to draft at least 1 RB. This is a year I wish we had extra draft picks instead of depending on comp picks to fill holes.

How do people feel about an OL of Tyler Smith, Bass, Hoffman, Martin, Steele?

Speaking of Steele, what if he never regains the form he had in 2022? Same with Martin. I think Martin faded after getting hurt last year. But he is getting older and did not look the same in 2023.

This is why free agency is such an important tool for teams to use. If they sign a top DT in FA then they don't need to draft one. otherwise we may have to u se another top pick on DT.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Just commit to Tyler at LT and draft a C in round 1 or 2. I’m fine with Bass/Richards/Hoffman/cheap vet signing competing for the LG spot.
This seems to be the best use of resources. We drafted Tyler to be a LT. He appears to have the talent to do that. Give him the opportunity with a full off season to prepare. IF it doesn't pan out, you can always change directions with the 2025 reset.

Bass & Hoffman seemed to show they were capable. Let them compete for LG. I would keep Richards focused on T. He has the build.

Put a better Center on the field with the above & I think you have a better run blocking line in 2024.