The offensive line without Tyron

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Zeitler makes the most sense. Still playing at a solid level and probably wont break the bank
I remember him here with the Giants, wasn't good, but their line was awful when he started with them. There are some serviceable starters that could give us a 1-2 yr bridge. Sign 1 fa starter along the OL and look to add another in the draft.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
We are going to struggle this year with the line if we lose him, in the center. Evans just signed with Tampa for a gigantic celery that's not going to be easy to give that kind of money to Lamb.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I'm not convinced there still isn't a decent chance Tyron is back.
I'm still hopeful at least.
This whole story could have been dropped by his agent in an effort to drive up his value.
He played on a low cost deal last year, sort of proove you can still play.
He played at a PB level and is still elite.
The Cowboyw were assuming they could do a similar deal to last years.
His agent looked around at what top LTs makes and wants a a bigger deal.
It's a negotiation.
If another team ponies up big time, he is likely gone.
If other teams are careful due to his age and injury concern, there is a solid chance he's back.
Personally I would resign him, 10-15 mil, AND draft a T in R 1 or 2 and groom him to replace Tyron next year.
There is solid depth at T in this draft. I wouldn't mind trading back and getting more assets, and drafting someone like like Morgan, Sumamataia or Patrict Paul. Suma and Paul in particular are likely first round talents who need some polish before they are NFL ready, and therefore likely 2nd rounders.
Getting another T is imperative IMO, even if Tyron is back. It gives us insurance if Tyron goes down, and possibly if Steele doesn't get back to his former level.
A T would give us depth right now and help set us the future at the position. I'd eve use our first pick on one if I could get other assets in a move back.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
From a financial position I have a couple of questions:
Do LT's earn more than Guards?
If so, wouldn't Tyler Smith want to play tackle so he can earn more?
But, if true and we move him to LT, that makes him eligible for for a big LT payday (after 2025 season) much sooner than if we draft a capable rookie LT.
Others drafted that same year that may need to get paid are Sam Williams, Jake Ferguson, DaRon Bland, Damone Clark, Brandon Aubrey, and Marquese Bell.

Creeper

Reaction score
It sounds to me like Tyron's agent thinks Tyron has been underpaid considering his position and caliber of play over his entire career. Now, he wants one final payday for his client. I think he wants to test the open market to see what that upper number is. Sportrac claims he is worth $7.4 million. I do not think Tyron will take that unless it is the only offer he gets. He saw Zack Martin get more money last year and Tyron wants the same. Whatever the market is for him, I do think he will give Dallas an opportunity to match it, maybe even with a little discount. But I also think another team will offer Tyron twice that amount in an incentive based contract where he gets bonuses for every game he plays.

If Jerry could get Tyron for $8 million I am sure he would take that deal in a minute. I think he would give him $10 million.

I am not ruling out Tyron coming back to Dallas because he wants to stay, but Jerry is not going to pay him what other teams will pay him.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

1) Draft a left tackle at 24

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

2) Move Tyler to LT and draft an OG in the top 60.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

3) Move Tyler to LT, play one of the 2nd year guys (Bass or Richards) at LG

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.
They are not moving Tyler smith.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Bring back Edoga on vet minimum as a bridge. Draft mims or guyton. If they take the job day one great, if not let them develop for a bit

LT Edoga
LG Tyler
C Hoffman
RG Zack
RT Steele

Gives Bass and Asim one more year to grow into full time starters.
Is it ideal? No. Can I see it happening? Yes.

tomokawan

Reaction score
There are some things I’ve noticed winners don’t do. They don’t invest a bunch of firsts in their offensive line. You can find quality guards throughout the draft.
Can't believe Kelce was a 6th round pick. You can get good linemen later, but if that stud center is there at 24, you get him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can't believe Kelce was a 6th round pick. You can get good linemen later, but if that stud center is there at 24, you get him.
If the best player there is a guard I think about it. But to me it’s like running back. I can get a quality back later on.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bring back Edoga on vet minimum as a bridge. Draft mims or guyton. If they take the job day one great, if not let them develop for a bit

LT Edoga
LG Tyler
C Hoffman
RG Zack
RT Steele

Gives Bass and Asim one more year to grow into full time starters.
Is it ideal? No. Can I see it happening? Yes.

That lineup is not good.

J-man

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority but I'm still not 100% convinced that Tyron won't be back for 1 more year. If they can get him for a cheap deal I think they do it, it for no other reason than quality depth.
But assuming he does leave, there should be options for LT available at pick 24. But if you don't really like your options and you don't want to put your season at risk with forcing one to start at LT, they do have Tyler who could move out and you should have lots of quality O/C options even into Rd3.
I think Steele bounces back this year, but if he doesn't it probable won't much matter about the left side. Can Richards be a RT?

Robster8989

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority but I'm still not 100% convinced that Tyron won't be back for 1 more year. If they can get him for a cheap deal I think they do it, it for no other reason than quality depth.
But assuming he does leave, there should be options for LT available at pick 24. But if you don't really like your options and you don't want to put your season at risk with forcing one to start at LT, they do have Tyler who could move out and you should have lots of quality O/C options even into Rd3.
I think Steele bounces back this year, but if he doesn't it probable won't much matter about the left side. Can Richards be a RT?
I agree I still think there is a good chance Tyron returns, I just don't think it's going to be on a cheap deal. I think that was the whole point of his agent likely releasing this article. (Just an assumption on my part).
Tyron played on a cheap deal last year, having missed almost the entire season 2 years ago, he didn't't have much choice, it was either work with the team or be released. It really was a "prove you can still play" deal.
He played in 13 of 17 games, and was once again, one of the top LTs in football.
He "walked the walk" to use a JJ phrase.

The Cowboys likely thought he'd resign for something similar to last season, byt Tyron's agen has other plans.
Look at the top LT's in the game. Tunsil made 25 last year. Thomas and Williams both over 23, AND we just had a HUGE cap increase.
Tyron wants more than 7 or 8. He proved last year he is still one of the top players at the position.
That being said his age and injury history still limit his value.
It's possible another team comes in and pays his what he wants, and we lose him, it's also possible that he wants to be here, and we want him back, and we work out a number both sides can live with. To me, I'd be OK giving him 10-13 in an incentive laden deal, maybe even a little more with he cap increase, but I don't think 7-8 gets it done.
My hope is bring Tyron back, and still go OL early, get someone who can give us injury insurance this year, and who can move up next year so we can finally move on.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not gonna get Tyron for less than 29-30 mill, per year.

Hes first ballot HoF.

He could easily play 2-4 more seasons.

J-man

Reaction score
I agree I still think there is a good chance Tyron returns, I just don't think it's going to be on a cheap deal. I think that was the whole point of his agent likely releasing this article. (Just an assumption on my part).
Tyron played on a cheap deal last year, having missed almost the entire season 2 years ago, he didn't't have much choice, it was either work with the team or be released. It really was a "prove you can still play" deal.
He played in 13 of 17 games, and was once again, one of the top LTs in football.
He "walked the walk" to use a JJ phrase.

The Cowboys likely thought he'd resign for something similar to last season, byt Tyron's agen has other plans.
Look at the top LT's in the game. Tunsil made 25 last year. Thomas and Williams both over 23, AND we just had a HUGE cap increase.
Tyron wants more than 7 or 8. He proved last year he is still one of the top players at the position.
That being said his age and injury history still limit his value.
It's possible another team comes in and pays his what he wants, and we lose him, it's also possible that he wants to be here, and we want him back, and we work out a number both sides can live with. To me, I'd be OK giving him 10-13 in an incentive laden deal, maybe even a little more with he cap increase, but I don't think 7-8 gets it done.
My hope is bring Tyron back, and still go OL early, get someone who can give us injury insurance this year, and who can move up next year so we can finally move on.
I agree, I would definitely still draft an OT early but he'd be great to have around for another year or two.
I'd offer him 2yrs/$35M, $20/$15 this year and next, $25M guaranteed. Hopefully he gives us a break to stay put and takes it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You
You’re best bet is kick Tyler to LT, hope Bass and can handle LG or draft a LG.

A lot of these tackles are mostly projected guards and right tackles.
You're best bet is to match or come close to what Tyron gets offered in free agency.