The offensive line without Tyron

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I do not expect any rookie to come in and be that solid his first year, not drafting at 24 anyway.
This draft class is pretty much the best in 20 something years for Oline. So without exaggeration, yes 24 could be a starting LT this year.

Big_D

Reaction score
Move Tyler to LT. Get a center at 24. Then find a guard in FA or see if you have that guy on the bench!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tyron was not the only problem on the OL. He is not the great run blocker he once was but he was solid in pass protection. I do not expect any rookie to come in and be that solid his first year, not drafting at 24 anyway.

What if they don't draft an LT this year and move Tyler Smith out there? I suspect they could find an OG in the draft or move Bass to LG. We did not get to see enough of Bass and Hoffman last year to know for sure but both looked okay in the limited time they played. Still, who wants to go into the season depending on either one of them?

The other problem is Biadasz at C. Is he staying or going? If they don't sign Biadasz and they need to draft a C, then we are looking at using 2 draft picks on the OL when we need good players for the defense front 7. AND we have to draft at least 1 RB. This is a year I wish we had extra draft picks instead of depending on comp picks to fill holes.

How do people feel about an OL of Tyler Smith, Bass, Hoffman, Martin, Steele?

Speaking of Steele, what if he never regains the form he had in 2022? Same with Martin. I think Martin faded after getting hurt last year. But he is getting older and did not look the same in 2023.

This is why free agency is such an important tool for teams to use. If they sign a top DT in FA then they don't need to draft one. otherwise we may have to u se another top pick on DT.
This we don't play the what if game.... In my opinion I think steel was already making improvements at the end of last year and it doesn't help that I don't believe any of us think that that blocking scheme and the offensive line coach did a very good job last year he didn't do any favors to the running back or the group we had on the field that offensive line so let's hope all that gets improved this offseason..

RS12

Reaction score
I am confident Fatanau can play LT to at least Tyler Smith level. Almost 6:4 and has superior movement skills. Plays well in space, can get to the 2nd level, and hits the target when he does. Has a nasty streak.

LysleE

Reaction score
I feel it’s imperative the FO get the o-line straightened out…the starting LT apparently won’t be back; solid performance by LG, but do you leave Tyler at LG where he made the Pro Bowl or move him to LT, thus losing experience at LG; Biadasz is a servicable C, but I would like an upgrade as I believe it to be most important OL position; RG starting to show some wear and tear last season, but Dallas’ needs Martin’s leadership with Tyron gone; RT may be another issue…hoping Steele’s sub-par year was due to continued recovery from pre-season surgery.
Don’t really know about the OL depth to speak to it; but I’m hoping they get a lot of playing time during pre-season. Would be nice to be able to plug-in some back-ups into starting positions as Dallas has too many holes to fill via the draft and is further hampered by their refusal to spend money on FAs…which only increases the pressure to draft smartly in the early rounds…which Dallas hasn’t done consistently.

Creeper

Reaction score
This draft class is pretty much the best in 20 something years for Oline. So without exaggeration, yes 24 could be a starting LT this year.
Yes, like Tyler Smith started his rookie year. But my point is it is asking a lot of a rookie to come in and play like Tyron in his first year when he is learning the speed of the game. Others have done it but most were drafted in the top 10. That's not to say he may be become a good player but rookies make mistakes.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
You’re best bet is kick Tyler to LT, hope Bass and can handle LG or draft a LG.

A lot of these tackles are mostly projected guards and right tackles.
This is the way to go. We are going to have to pay Tyler soon. I would much rather pay an LT than a LG. Commit to Tyler at LT and be set at the most important position on the Oline for the next 8-10 years. Simple.

Aven8

Reaction score
Tyler to LT
Bass to LG
Draft a center
Martin stays at RG
Steele stays at RT

If you draft a tackle to replace Tyron you still have no center so you need to make additional moves.
This is by far the easiest route. Drafting a LT to be your $60million dollar QB’s blindside protector is a crap shoot at 24. When Tyron got hurt and Tyler had to play LT out of camp everyone let out a big gulp. Luckily he persevered.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have a nagging feeling that Mims will be taken before our pick is due and Guyton is our #1 pick. I hope it's the other way around. :huh:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
One of the major options is to move Tyler to LT. That's the hardest position on the line. Tyler has impressed at LG, but that is no guarantee that he'll continue to impress at LT. That's my concern, he's played at LG for two years now, he'd have to unlearn some things to make the move.

Not saying he can't do it, just that I'm concerned. If he can't it'd likely take at least a year to find that out, probably two years, then we'd be right back in the same spot we're in now - needing a hard-to-find LT.

Oh well, that's what makes things interesting. With no hopes (for me) of any SBs with Jerry in charge, that's about all we have to be interested in....

Big_D

Reaction score
One of the major options is to move Tyler to LT. That's the hardest position on the line. Tyler has impressed at LG, but that is no guarantee that he'll continue to impress at LT. That's my concern, he's played at LG for two years now, he'd have to unlearn some things to make the move.

Not saying he can't do it, just that I'm concerned. If he can't it'd likely take at least a year to find that out, probably two years, then we'd be right back in the same spot we're in now - needing a hard-to-find LT.

Oh well, that's what makes things interesting. With no hopes (for me) of any SBs with Jerry in charge, that's about all we have to be interested in....
He’s heading into year 3. He only played 1 year at each position.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Tyron finds the market is not what he thinks it will be for him. And returns on a lesser deal.

Proof

Reaction score
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

1) Draft a left tackle at 24

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

2) Move Tyler to LT and draft an OG in the top 60.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

3) Move Tyler to LT, play one of the 2nd year guys (Bass or Richards) at LG

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.
thanks for the breakdown. i hate it here :(