The offensive line without Tyron

Carson

Reaction score
Im not concerned about that. Tyron was a RT in college too. If you have the skill set for it, you can transition
Tyron started at LT at USC. He played his first year as the backup LT and played in 10 games.

He moved to RT his sophomore year. He also played his rookie season at RT learning the game and moved to LT his second season.

Mims has started 8 games total and were at RT.

I see what you’re saying is possible. But Tyron played 35+ games at SC compared to Mims 8. He also played a full 16 at RT.

Asking Mims to go from 8 starts in two years, switch from RT to LT and be ready day one just seems a lot to handle.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Who is kidding who here?....Tyler will be your LT, Zack RG and Steele RT.... center and LG are the ones up for grabs and it will probably be between Hoffman, Bass and Richards. This ain't rocket science. On to the next problem to be solved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it’s me, I’m looking to upgrade at center. If I can get one of the top guys, I’ll take my chances with Bass in between Tyler Smith and the new guy. I’ll then start looking for Zack Martin’s replacement.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Tyler to LT
Bass to LG
Draft a center
Martin stays at RG
Steele stays at RT

If you draft a tackle to replace Tyron you still have no center so you need to make additional moves.
Except Tyler struggled at LT.

That’s why they keep him at LG.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If it’s me, I’m looking to upgrade at center. If I can get one of the top guys, I’ll take my chances with Bass in between Tyler Smith and the new guy. I’ll then start looking for Zack Martin’s replacement.
Good draft to do it. There are 4 to 5 walk in starters in this draft. Van Pran is the 4th rated OC and would be an upgrade over Biadasz the moment he was drafted. He might make it to our 3rd

Kwyn

Reaction score
I am confident Fatanau can play LT to at least Tyler Smith level. Almost 6:4 and has superior movement skills. Plays well in space, can get to the 2nd level, and hits the target when he does. Has a nasty streak.
Where has he shown even a hint of being able to perform at this level?

A college highlight reel and measurements don’t make a football player.

I’m seeing a lot of comments in this thread and others that seem to think we have quality starters ready to step up off the bench, or magically do something different than before (Steele)

The OLine is not in a good spot and a coaching change and losing Tyron and Biadasz is not going to make it better.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Move Tyler to LT. Get a center at 24. Then find a guard in FA or see if you have that guy on the bench!
So, the only set position is RG.

That doesn’t sound very inspiring.

Kwyn

Reaction score
This is the way to go. We are going to have to pay Tyler soon. I would much rather pay an LT than a LG. Commit to Tyler at LT and be set at the most important position on the Oline for the next 8-10 years. Simple.
But what if he’s a really good LG but only an above average LT?

You’re banking on him improving his play.

Big_D

Reaction score
So, the only set position is RG.

That doesn’t sound very inspiring.
RG and RT. The rest all depends on what’s available in the draft and what they deem worthy on the bench. That’s the situation they’re in. 2 holes with Tyron gone.

John813

Reaction score
There are some things I’ve noticed winners don’t do. They don’t invest a bunch of firsts in their offensive line. You can find quality guards throughout the draft.

I agree. There needs to be a balance as I watched Adam Gase for years completely ignore the guard spot for some odd reason but at the same time to me it's not a position that you need to have the best of the best to win.
This year we had two "All-pro" guards, drafted in the 1st. The run game still was meh.

Drafting Tackles I will support taking high in the draft. But interior, it would be nice to hit on above average to good ones later in the draft. Even if they aren't starter ready year 1.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Except Tyler struggled at LT.

That’s why they keep him at LG.
He did fine and would probably do better if they had him at 1 position instead of teaching him 2 that early on. Yes he graded better as guard as its typically the easier position but he's more valuable at tackle. For a team that is strapped with how they constructed contracts LT makes way more sense for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. There needs to be a balance as I watched Adam Gase for years completely ignore the guard spot for some odd reason but at the same time to me it's not a position that you need to have the best of the best to win.
This year we had two "All-pro" guards, drafted in the 1st. The run game still was meh.

Drafting Tackles I will support taking high in the draft. But interior, it would be nice to hit on above average to good ones later in the draft. Even if they aren't starter ready year 1.
Perfectly said. I get taking a tackle high. But interior? I don’t need a generational talent at guard.

Kwyn

Reaction score
RG and RT. The rest all depends on what’s available in the draft and what they deem worthy on the bench. That’s the situation they’re in. 2 holes with Tyron gone.
I saw too much of Steele last year to consider that settled.

Big_D

Reaction score
I saw too much of Steele last year to consider that settled.
His contract is what is. The team isnt creating another hole. Either he improves a year removed from the injury or they’re looking for a new RT in a few years. They’ll be looking for a RG soon enough with Martin turning 34 this year.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

1) Draft a left tackle at 24

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

2) Move Tyler to LT and draft an OG in the top 60.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

3) Move Tyler to LT, play one of the 2nd year guys (Bass or Richards) at LG

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.
Bass;)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The way I see, you have three options for reshaping the left side of the line without Tyron. Before I get into it, I dont expect them to go the FA route with OG's. Not a very good class, as the players available are either out of our price range, or garbage. Our only real FA hope would be if Zeitler doesnt have a market. Even so, he is a band aide

1) Draft a left tackle at 24

Considering the depth of this OT class at the top, this appears to be the best option. The two most likely players targeted would be Tyler Guyton and Amerious Mims. Either would likely be top 15 picks in most drafts. Neither is probably be top 5 at the position, but both should have Anthony Costanzo/ Duane Brown level careers.

2) Move Tyler to LT and draft an OG in the top 60.

This draft is also pretty deep at OG. Faunatu and Barton are your likely day 1 candidates. Cooper Beebe could be an optiom at the top of round 2 if they move down (I dont expect them too though).Amegadjie, and Hayes may be your best 2024 options on Day 2. Zinter and Robinson could be good long term options. I dont know Zinters availability coming off that injury

3) Move Tyler to LT, play one of the 2nd year guys (Bass or Richards) at LG

The least desirable path. Both showed some positives in 2023. Both had strong preseasons, and Bass was passable in 300 snaps in the regular season. However its too early for either to be expected to be quality starters. At this stage they are best though of as 6th/7th lineman. As far as LG, Richards may be the better option of he added upper body strength. Im not sure how much work at OG he actually got last year. Team may see him as an OT. Bass was passable, but his lack of mobility may get exposed against 3T's in more snaps. Practicing Bass at OC this year could be interesting long term though.
Always could sign a fa starter at either position, one who is much higher level then the Edoka's of the world.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Always could sign a fa starter at either position, one who is much higher level then the Edoka's of the world.
Zeitler makes the most sense. Still playing at a solid level and probably wont break the bank