CFZ The official sober assessment of Josh Ball

erod

Reaction score
Massive forehead, and hairier arms than Bigfoot.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is Josh Ball what Doug Free was?

Needed more playing time to improve, but Ball seems to have much more upside. Free had his moments of poor play, but he was not as bad as many made him out to be.
Free was was of those OL you keep looking for someone better, but could not find that guy, until they finally addressed it in the draft.

I am not sure, just asking the question if anyone else sees this.
I think Free is Balls absolute ceiling. I think he could an adequate RT in time. Like Free he has some LT traits but I don't think he is a player you would want there long term. I think Waletzko has more upside, he could develop into a legit LT. But I dont think he is really playable right now. He is still very raw

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Josh Ball was god awful. I don't think he will be ready to play this year. DEs from no name colleges were beating him.

Reactions: BAT

fivetwos

Reaction score
we have some future options for sure, but we do need vet presence as the starting LT or at least swing only break glass on those guys if more injuries happen.

my best guess is ,

Tyler- McGovern-Biadsz-martin-Steele with an added vet tackle as swing Farniok swing g/c., plenty of time this coming 13 days before game 1..liost of cutdowns and trades will happen all over..hopfully they have a wish list and like Turpin& Barr, they have few OT in mind,
The defense is gonna be really good.

If there are MORE injuries to the OL, bet the under every week and retire in January lol.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Can Dallas move on from Alacron now ? The refs were blowing the whistle so often I thought 52 was back in town .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That five makes the most sense given the situation we are in but let's also remember, Tyler Smith is now nursing an ankle injury I believe. They say it's no big deal but even if he misses a few practices, that's a few workouts he needs at LT.

I seem to think they will start Ball at LT and try to get Tyler Smith up to speed to hopefully take over at some poiont during the season. So if Smith is still nicked up a bit, gun to head, I think they are likely going Ball-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Steele against TB.
That starting five = YUCK
Hope Dak can run really , really fast !

terra

Reaction score
Ball MIGHT some day be good enough for the swing tackle position. But frankly looking at him now that would be his ceiling at best.

To be a real LT in the NFL takes more than physical ability; there are LOTs of prospects every year with just as much physical ability as Ball who never become anything.

And experience is not what really matters; the intrinsic ability to take on the best DE's and OLB's in the NFL is something that you either can do or cannot do.

Reactions: BAT

Blackrain

Reaction score
Drunk sober or otherwise I'm taking Nate Newton assessment of Josh Ball on national television as gospel until proven otherwise.

Nate was not impressed in any way shape or form even when prodded and poked by his buddy Mike Irvin to try and shed some ray of sunlight on the man that might possibly be our new left tackle.

Nate just couldn't stomach the thought and he told it like it was The guy is just not ready yet.

Please Jerry listen to Big Nate and sign Eric Fisher let's at least try to have a chance

Verdict

Reaction score
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.
He has had enough time in an NFL weight room and had the coaching to be ready. Sink or swim time. Sometimes they swim.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.

Ball reminds me of Steele last year in camp....same type of problems and inexperience. Needs another year of work and maybe he can be like current Steele. Not that Steele is all world or anything, but appears to be at least serviceable now.
I would recommend to him not to withdraw his membership in the Forklift Operators of America just in case.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He has had enough time in an NFL weight room and had the coaching to be ready. Sink or swim time. Sometimes they swim.

The problem is many times when they sink they drowned our quarterback with them

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah I saw coaches and players consoling him on the sidelines after the bad play or plays. He held his own a few times. He needs confidence. He needs to be playing and doing his job well in a regular season game when we score a TD. But if he is playing LT.. LOL.. He is going to be playing against the best ends in the league every week. They will be throwing everything at this green rookie. He hasn’t played a snap in a regular season game has he. If they start him. Talk about pressure.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed and I even thought you were being too kind.

PS Ball if necessary but he is too raw to be counted on this season.

He had a few good plays. He fell down. Lol. These guys have major jitters.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He's not the answer. I saw him do some ok things as the game went along but against camp bodies . I rather try him at guard where he can be protected. He is a 3rd string guard at best. He's a liability at tackle
Protect him with who Biadasz to his right and a Tyler smith to his left. Look at what happened when the left side last year was Steele, McGovern, and Biadasz at center that is what moving a ball to LG and having inexperience and new positon for T Smith at LT and Biadasz that is an OK center but really his replacement would need to be looked for.