CFZ The official sober assessment of Josh Ball

Ken

Reaction score
Agreed and I even thought you were being too kind.

PS Ball if necessary but he is too raw to be counted on this season.

I just think it is funny how so many just write this kid off because of a few plays in the run game but completely ignore him blanking people in the pass game. I will take this type of tackle every day and sunday as opposed to what I would have thought Ball would be...good in the run game and bad in pass pro.

Everyone has their agendas.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't see it. Definitely wouldn't make my 53. PS, ok, if you want to give him time.

Reactions: BAT

rags747

Reaction score
Is Josh Ball what Doug Free was?

Needed more playing time to improve, but Ball seems to have much more upside. Free had his moments of poor play, but he was not as bad as many made him out to be.
Free was was of those OL you keep looking for someone better, but could not find that guy, until they finally addressed it in the draft.

I am not sure, just asking the question if anyone else sees this.
Ball imo has plenty of movement skills, definitely not a lead footed guy.

terra

Reaction score
I just think it is funny how so many just write this kid off because of a few plays in the run game but completely ignore him blanking people in the pass game. I will take this type of tackle every day and sunday as opposed to what I would have thought Ball would be...good in the run game and bad in pass pro.

Everyone has their agendas.
well you are a jerry bot so no surprise

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Free is Balls absolute ceiling. I think he could an adequate RT in time. Like Free he has some LT traits but I don't think he is a player you would want there long term. I think Waletzko has more upside, he could develop into a legit LT. But I dont think he is really playable right now. He is still very raw

and hes solid, Free was underrated here.. what ive been reading is many critics like Waletzco not our media im talking nationally. little blurbs about this guy's size, strength, long arms, and he very knowledgeable of the game ie pretty good at recognizes switches etc .

we have some pieces they need time to develop well sometimes you dont have that luxury, cinci went all the way to a SB with shaky OL..

we will need overcome and just power through,

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't see it. Definitely wouldn't make my 53. PS, ok, if you want to give him time.
Great thing is you do NOT have a 53 , just making sure you are privy to reality. the guys raw, young ,with upside and he maybe Doug free very soon and thats not bad really. Waletzxo has even more upside and many believe could be a LT of the future.,. Has the size, strength , long arms and knows the game well.

I mean fans keep saying the FO didn't plan well, didn't bring in possible replacement and that so far from the truth but its fans lie you that think you have 53 and can assemble a better team

they were busy trying to shore up other weaknesses and turned around bad defense quickly, sorry they didn't have the resources to go spend 3 first on an OT to replace TS77...

there are many options on this team that who they have drafted, some gone, some failed but they have addressed it and some may still come through.

Biadsz
Cwill
collins
Farinok-
Ball
Waletzko
Tsmith73
steele
Mcgovern
and others

dont say they arent trying, that list has soem potential given time,.

what we dotn have is time i get it 13 days until game 1,

I hope they bring in a OT or 2 but if they dont i guess we will see what these guys have.
if that happens, i believe

TS73-Mcgovern-Biadsz-Martin-Steelk is the day one line. Farinok swing g/c you have to use both Ball and Wally as the swing tackles.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
mean fans keep saying the FO didn't plan well, didn't bring in possible replacement and that so far from the truth but its fans lie you that think you have 53 and can assemble a better team

It's not far from the truth. As I said they had a LT with known injury problems, and they didn't have a guy behind him that have played in a real NFL game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's not far from the truth. As I said they had a LT with known injury problems, and they didn't have a guy behind him that have played in a real NFL game.
many players have had to start without ever had played and nFL game and it works out..you can't get time until you do.,..a few of these guys might surprise us..who knows..

id like a Vet or 2 as insurance and that maybe coming as many moves will be made after Thursdays deadline. you know that 4th round qb now franchise guy who was 4th on the depth chart?? he did well nor ever start an NFL game alongside his running mate ZEKE . its a fact of sports sometimes you are thrown to the wolves and those that survive are stronger for if. Parsons did real well no senior season, no nfl experience, over c-word and comes in and fans doubted him i read it and look what we found.

didn't Aikman the #1 overall pick struggle but come through ok..sure he did he was lit up as rookie. we are talking about linemen, i realize its different but who knows by midseason we get them on track.. Cinci didn't have an all-world line and overcame it..

sometimes you just roll with what you got and hope for the best,

glimmerman

Reaction score
many players have had to start without ever had played and nFL game and it works out..you can't get time until you do.,..a few of these guys might surprise us..who knows..

id like a Vet or 2 as insurance and that maybe coming as many moves will be made after Thursdays deadline. you know that 4th round qb now franchise guy who was 4th on the depth chart?? he did well nor ever start an NFL game alongside his running mate ZEKE . its a fact of sports sometimes you are thrown to the wolves and those that survive are stronger for if. Parsons did real well no senior season, no nfl experience, over c-word and comes in and fans doubted him i read it and look what we found.

didn't Aikman the #1 overall pick struggle but come through ok..sure he did he was lit up as rookie. we are talking about linemen, i realize its different but who knows by midseason we get them on track.. Cinci didn't have an all-world line and overcame it..

sometimes you just roll with what you got and hope for the best,
I worry more about LG than LT. Only his ankle or him just getting injured bother me cause there is no other LT except Ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I worry more about LG than LT. Only his ankle or him just getting injured bother me cause there is no other LT except Ball.
actually, Waletzko has more upside and getting better grades, ball and he both need more time. IF CM sucks maybe Farinok can play LG?? lets allow few games for gelling and see how this goes.

glimmerman

Reaction score
actually, Waletzko has more upside and getting better grades, ball and he both need more time. IF CM sucks maybe Farinok can play LG?? lets allow few games for gelling and see how this goes.
I hate learning as you go. We had all offseason and TC to experiment.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations.

Well, ..... wait what?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.
He is the 2020 version of Steele.

The Cowboys were leading the league in passing yards by 300 over the 2nd place team in that category at the point that Dak got injured. They did that with the majority of OT snaps played by Steele and Brandon Knight.

Cebrin

Reaction score

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.
I agree, but it's also hard to access their play sometimes with back up QB's who take far longer than a seasoned vet to process the field at an NFL level (even against back-ups). Worrisome nevertheless. Coaching is pinnacle here. I hope they push Tyler to LT, and let him maul people in the run. We need to be a run first west coast offense, and heavy play-action when it works. When it doesn't is when we're in trouble. That's where 5 wide sets, or 4 with Pollard will be pinnacle in keeping up.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Todd Archer, writing in 2011 about the rookie offensive tackle's preseason...

===========================

LWR_Recording.png

===========================

It happens.

But if we're being serious, we know that. All of us. Practically, anyway.

We take it for granted particularly with new players that there will be some mistakes, even the ones that were drafted highest.

And we look beyond those mistakes, as long as there's not too many, of course, and assess the bigger, overall picture of whether there is progress and reason for optimism. (See OP.)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I stopped at legit SB aspirations. Of you think the boys have it then I can't take your post seriously. They likely won't make the playoffs and thus is before tyron's injury.