CFZ The official sober assessment of Josh Ball

_sturt_

Reaction score
Waletzko looks better

Not picking on you, but this to me is the tell-tale sign of a person who isn't allowing their mind to fully grasp what their eyes are seeing.

Even if we grant you your opinion about Ball has some legitimacy... I don't, as you're well aware based on the OP, but let's pretend I do... there is no tape in existence that allows you at this point to make any reasonable assessment of Waletzko's status. What we know about Waletzko is only that he can hold his own against the end of the roster d-line for SEA. That's all.

As for Ball, all I can suggest is you keep an open mind, and look at the tape for yourself... he's played against guys who will absolutely make the DEN, LAC and SEA rosters, and held his own, which oh by the way is all that Tyron could say after his first preseason.

plasticman

Reaction score
Nobody is going to trade a quality LT. If they have three of them they will do everything the can to keep all three.

A GM's nightmare is when they trade a player at a position and then their remaIning players at that position get injured.

Jipper

Reaction score
i dont know that I can think about our LT situation while sober....just too hard

starfan1

Reaction score
Bobby Belt (cowboy insider) this morning had very little good to say this morning on Ball on the fan

J-man

Reaction score
Not picking on you, but this to me is the tell-tale sign of a person who isn't allowing their mind to fully grasp what their eyes are seeing.

Even if we grant you your opinion about Ball has some legitimacy... I don't, as you're well aware based on the OP, but let's pretend I do... there is no tape in existence that allows you at this point to make any reasonable assessment of Waletzko's status. What we know about Waletzko is only that he can hold his own against the end of the roster d-line for SEA. That's all.

As for Ball, all I can suggest is you keep an open mind, and look at the tape for yourself... he's played against guys who will absolutely make the DEN, LAC and SEA rosters, and held his own, which oh by the way is all that Tyron could say after his first preseason.

Really?
FYI, To say you're "not picking on me" and then tell me that I don't know what I'm looking at, is a tell tale sign of an insult plain and simple, no matter how you try to frame it. But whatever, I don't care. I'm not trying to be pissy with you, just letting you know your attempt to be passive aggressive failed.

But my eyes, not my mind, sees a guy who is struggling. To say the tape indicates Ball is holding his own, (aka playing well) is IMO, a big stretch.
I'm not saying he's trash and should be cut immediately, but I see, not think, a guy who needs more time before he's asked to play against NFL starting DE's protecting the franchise QB's blind side and trying to become a better running team.

Fair comment on Waletzko, but the eye test isn't wrong. He looks better. My eyes see that, not my mind.

Thanks for granting permission my opinion to be valid in your discussion. :rolleyes:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.

Thats more like a drunken assessment. Ball was been nothing short of terrible and against mostly scrubs. The guy has no business at LT or anyone near the football field at this point.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Josh Ball is a disappointment to me. We could use a guy that can adequately fill in for Tyron Smith, allowing Tyler Smith to keep his schedule of development as a lineman. But now that Ball has proven he can't be trusted as our starting LT, Tyler Smith has to interrupt his schedule of development and have the LT position put in his lap.