The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I see someone who can run and has good strong arm.
I also see someone who can't read a defense (in year 4), has accuracy issues two of the top 2 traits for a QB.

people tend to fall in love with Olympic athletes. its easy. see a fast player and imagine if he was a good WR, in the meantime Irvin schooled all of them and he wasn't the fastest. same goes for QB. its rare to find one that has all the traits and perhaps Mahomes comes close.

there are a lot of QBs that can make all the throws and thus they are out of the league quickly if they can't fix it (by year 4).

its perhaps experience. there is no denying that he was way OVER DRAFTED. and thus people also fall in love with the draft status. in reality, he was a 6th or 7th round pick that went 3rd over all because somebody fell in love with the Olympic thraits and just like all the other GMs and coaches before them, their ego told them we can turn him into an elite QB.

and Geno smith, might be a good example. 8 years in the league and what do you have? a middle of the pack QB, who teased for one year. never to be elite. so do you want to spend 8 years to end up with a Geno Smith? you complain about Dak and his ability to lift his game in post season and he is just a good enough QB and want to spend another 4 years to end up with just a good enough QB at best? why? and that's not a 100% guaranteed....its a gamble.
I don't complain about Dak. I think he's a good quarterback that a well-built team can win with (one without the holes the Joneses leave by not using free agency to the fullest). He was second in MVP voting for a reason last year. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have performed better in the playoff game, but so should a lot of other players.

I can also take or leave Lance, but I understand why the team traded for him, I understand what San Fran saw in him, and if the team wants to try to develop that, I don't have a problem with it. The only ones who seem to have a problem with it seem to be more upset by those who were pushing for Lance to start over Dak than other things and to be projecting it on a player who was never going to do that but is a developmental prospect and was traded for for that purpose. He was not traded for to replace Prescott but because the front office saw inexperienced talent that might be worth developing behind Dak, if for no other reasons than to flip him for a higher draft pick. We've spent similar picks in the past on quarterbacks with far more college experience who needed developing.