The Official Trey Lance Thread concerning the game

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mechanics aren't his biggest issue. Yes, he needs to get those passes down. Being able to read an NFL defense is the biggest issue. That comes with experience.

Yes, we could draft a QB next season who is much further along in his development, but unless you are drafting one in the first round, you are not finding one with his skills. You are finding one who understands the game better but was taken later in the draft because of other flaws. The question is whether you'd rather have someone with experience-oriented flaws or physical/mental flaws that they haven't been able to fix despite experience.

The player with all the skills but lacking experience is more intriguing because there's that chance that with experience, he could turn out to be great. I made a comment about Cooper Rush having a high football IQ. It's easy to see when he's out there. However, no matter how well he understands the game that's not going to make him a starting NFL QB because his physical limitations are always going to hold him back.
Explain Brock Purdy.

Knowledge of the game is more important than athletic ability at the QB position.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Explain Brock Purdy.
Do you want me to do it in context of all the other QBs taken in the fourth round and beyond who didn't become backups, much less starters? Every now and then, a team gets lucky. That's why you keep tossing darts at the board, hoping one sticks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And someone who calls him Trance would only see and believe that. No one can take anything you have to say about him seriously because you obviously are prejudiced against the player, like mountaineercowboy is about Dak.
Is strong inaccurate arm is not a skill.

KB1122

Reaction score
Hec threw for 325 yards. Was a holding call away from 100 yards rushing. And threw 5 interception, three in garbage time.

I don't really know how to interpret a game like that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Hec threw for 325 yards. Was a holding call away from 100 yards rushing. And threw 5 interception, three in garbage time.

I don't really know how to interpret a game like that.
Keep in mind it was against an Allstar team from UPS, Amazon and Costco.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not only did we waste a 4th Round pick and overpaid doing so but to add insult to injury we got play that would easily clear waivers if not for where Lance was taken in the draft. If nothing else, the price to re-sign him went way down. But if I'm Cooper Rush, I'm holding out for more money now, lol.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because it is hard to find quality QBs. He has natural skills that a lot of other QBs don't have. If you can untap his potential, then you've hit the jackpot. Most likely, though, that's not going to happen because he needs a lot of playing time just to get down some of the rudimentary stuff a QB has to recognize. But teams waste time on a player like him because there are just not that many great QBs in the league and when you see someone with the talent to become one, you want to explore the possibility as much as you can.

He was a first-round pick because of his running ability and his arm talent, but I agree with you that his experience was worthy of a later pick. Would have had no problem with Dallas spending a fourth-round pick on the player, though, when he was drafted. You rarely find QBs in the fourth round who are ready to step in and start like Dak did. In fact, most of them never become starters. For that matter, a lot of other first-round picks at the position also flame out like Lance did, but most of those at least enter the league with a lot more experience that he has.
what natural skills? he can throw the ball? so could 400 other QBs who didn't make it in the league. natural QB abilities are accuracy, smarts, being able to survey the defense and go through your reads,

so everyone keeps saying he has natural abilities. he can run. but which running QB ever succeeded in NFL and won a superbowl.

this is year 4 in the league and people talk about well, he needs time. he has natural abilities. he is what he is. a first round top 5 bust. his best ceiling at this point is a really good #2.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That is the question. Because Lance might be cheaper than Dak. But him and his agent won't exactly be settling for a cheap contract, if they can convince the front office that Lance can and will develop into this very great QB, who'll eventually lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win. Lance's agent will be negotiating insisting to Jerry how Lance just needs a little more time, but that it's worth to play him a hefty contract to keep him on the Dallas roster in the meantime.

Lance's contract will not be cheap since his agent is going to do everything to convince Jerry that he can be as valuable to the Cowboys as some fans believes and hopes he can be.
Lance has zero leverage at that right now. Jerry talks from one side of his mouth, because in his old dimentia induced mind he is creating a market for Lance and telling everyone, he won't let go. thinks he is outsmarting 31 other GMs....reality is everyone know what Lance is, which is not worth anything at this point. no one will trade for him anything than a conditional 7th at best

gimmesix

Reaction score
what natural skills? he can throw the ball? so could 400 other QBs who didn't make it in the league. natural QB abilities are accuracy, smarts, being able to survey the defense and go through your reads,

so everyone keeps saying he has natural abilities. he can run. but which running QB ever succeeded in NFL and won a superbowl.

this is year 4 in the league and people talk about well, he needs time. he has natural abilities. he is what he is. a first round top 5 bust. his best ceiling at this point is a really good #2.
If you don't see the natural abilities that got him drafted in the first round, I'm not sure I can explain them to you because I don't think you are going to believe it.

There are a lot of QBs floating around the league who cannot make all the throws. For instance, they cannot complete the deep out to the sideline because they can't put enough zip on the ball to get it there before the DB. They cannot throw the deep pass to the end zone that was dropped, or if they do they have to put a lot more lob on the ball. They don't have the zip to fit the ball into tight quarters. In this game, a half-second can be the difference between a great throw and an interception.

Lance's main problems appear to be overthrowing/overpowering some short throws -- but his fades in the end zone show that he can put touch on the ball -- and issues reading the underneath coverage in zone, which can be fixed with experience/time studying defenses.

The question with Lance is whether experience, which he has little of despite four years in the league, can fix those deficiencies. I don't know the answer to that question, and because of that, I'm fine moving on from him especially since he's only under contract this year and I'm also fine signing him to a cheap, short-term extension and seeing if he can.

He may be Jeff George with running ability or he may be Geno Smith and it take years for him to figure out the game well enough to contend for a starting job. What we do know with the fact that he's not going to get much game experience if he does stay here is that it's going to take time if he ever becomes a quality NFL backup or starter.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score

What has improved over the last 4 years?

What will improve over the next 4 years?

How do you improve watching others play?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Is strong inaccurate arm is not a skill.
He completed 67 percent of his passes in that game. That's not inaccurate. I believe there also were a couple of drops, including one on a well-placed deep ball in the end zone. Two of his interceptions were the result of poor reads, another was an accurate 50/50 ball under pressure that he should not have thrown, I thought I read that the final one was tipped but I didn't see the tip. Can't remember if the fifth interception was off target or not.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
See nothing but positives after going back and watching....kid led the NFL in rushing and passing in the preseason. And if some of the guys could catch a football....he would have has 4 tds last night. Some of the INTs were miscommunication errors.....or plays by guys that won't be here. Think he's got a good shot to be your starter @ some point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Five OCs in four years. I’m guessing he can learn a new offense. He has had a career. Now being paid over $3 million simply to help out and step in if needed. He’s won more starts than he’s lost. Guys like Rush and Lance will never see the field. Their careers will never amount to anything because they’re no good. The Rams. Same. They went and signed a backup that knows what to do. Even Philly. Their QB2 has winning record as a NFL starter. He’s played more football in the last five years than Rush and Lance combined. Cowboys fans are familiar with Dobbs. He may be the 49ers QB3.

Teams serious about contending give some thought to QB depth. Teams like the Cowboys are just clowning around.
OK, Carson Wentz fanboy. He had one good season and got hurt. The Eagles team that year won the super bowl without him. Why were they able to win with a backup? Could it be that they had a great defense? Teams could not run on them.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He completed 67 percent of his passes in that game. That's not inaccurate. I believe there also were a couple of drops, including one on a well-placed deep ball in the end zone. Two of his interceptions were the result of poor reads, another was an accurate 50/50 ball under pressure that he should not have thrown, I thought I read that the final one was tipped but I didn't see the tip. Can't remember if the fifth interception was off target or not.
5 picks is accurate?

Patrick

Reaction score
Trey looked so good at times, and then well, ya know.

I would say 2 of those picks were not on him, but that game ending INT was one of the worst passes I have ever seen, had a guy WIDE OPEN and completely missed him.

He needed playing time and we could have never provided that here, a wasted trade for a guy we had no chance to develop properly, but Jerry wanted to strike lightning.

Braelon Allen would look real good in blue and white right about now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you don't see the natural abilities that got him drafted in the first round, I'm not sure I can explain them to you because I don't think you are going to believe it.

There are a lot of QBs floating around the league who cannot make all the throws. For instance, they cannot complete the deep out to the sideline because they can't put enough zip on the ball to get it there before the DB. They cannot throw the deep pass to the end zone that was dropped, or if they do they have to put a lot more lob on the ball. They don't have the zip to fit the ball into tight quarters. In this game, a half-second can be the difference between a great throw and an interception.

Lance's main problems appear to be overthrowing/overpowering some short throws -- but his fades in the end zone show that he can put touch on the ball -- and issues reading the underneath coverage in zone, which can be fixed with experience/time studying defenses.

The question with Lance is whether experience, which he has little of despite four years in the league, can fix those deficiencies. I don't know the answer to that question, and because of that, I'm fine moving on from him especially since he's only under contract this year and I'm also fine signing him to a cheap, short-term extension and seeing if he can.

He may be Jeff George with running ability or he may be Geno Smith and it take years for him to figure out the game well enough to contend for a starting job. What we do know with the fact that he's not going to get much game experience if he does stay here is that it's going to take time if he ever becomes a quality NFL backup or starter.
I see someone who can run and has good strong arm.
I also see someone who can't read a defense (in year 4), has accuracy issues two of the top 2 traits for a QB.

people tend to fall in love with Olympic athletes. its easy. see a fast player and imagine if he was a good WR, in the meantime Irvin schooled all of them and he wasn't the fastest. same goes for QB. its rare to find one that has all the traits and perhaps Mahomes comes close.

there are a lot of QBs that can make all the throws and thus they are out of the league quickly if they can't fix it (by year 4).

its perhaps experience. there is no denying that he was way OVER DRAFTED. and thus people also fall in love with the draft status. in reality, he was a 6th or 7th round pick that went 3rd over all because somebody fell in love with the Olympic thraits and just like all the other GMs and coaches before them, their ego told them we can turn him into an elite QB.

and Geno smith, might be a good example. 8 years in the league and what do you have? a middle of the pack QB, who teased for one year. never to be elite. so do you want to spend 8 years to end up with a Geno Smith? you complain about Dak and his ability to lift his game in post season and he is just a good enough QB and want to spend another 4 years to end up with just a good enough QB at best? why? and that's not a 100% guaranteed....its a gamble.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You don't like winning in the post-season?
I do. I really would love to win in the post season, which means I get to the post season in the first place. with Lance, there is no post season to cry about. instead we all will be complaining and crying about regular season.

time to move on from Dak, Lance and Rush. perhaps its the right move by Jerry by having none of them under contract for 25