The OL v WR debate in the draft

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do believe the Cowboys have an OL challenge with the hole at LG, a backup up at RT, a ? at Center and Smith's inability to stay healthy.

I also believe there are some good OL early in this draft but the fall off is pretty steep after 15; however, the next grouping is about the same through the first two days, if you buy into the draft analysis people.

They picked Williams in the 2nd and tried to change an OT to OG and it never really worked. McGovern was a 3rd and couldn't take the job from Williams. So, the odds of repeating that are too good. Bottom line is it takes time.

The WR position is deep with 6-7 projected in the 1st and there are some that could step in as a starter in the 3 man group, at least until Gallup is ready.

Under normal circumstances we'd say start building that OL with a 1st because they've done well with 1sts but those were better 1sts than what will be at 24. Trade up for a blue chipper day one starter? OK.

But this team has management that will never consider the word rebuild and they want to compete every year and are coming off a 12 win division winning season so what to address first? Whatever helps the QB the most. That is Job 1.

If the mode is win now, then the choice is simple, WR. Get another weapon for the QB with the 1st and then get the OL later.

This doesn't address DL or LB in the 1st because I don't think that is the debate, it will be offense in the 1st. If some edge guy fell, they might react to that but I think they're better at WR's in the 1st than DE's.

It does not matter what player they take in the 1st if the do not fix the latency with the QB. The Giants had this same issue with their OL and they worked with Manning to get his release out quicker, quicker reads with the understanding this could result in more picks. Better than strip sacks or injuries to the QB.

And this is not about the QB but about how to best help him in this draft. Yes, he needs a better OL but a better WR corps is easier to come by and quicker when they want to win now.

conner01

Reaction score
I do believe the Cowboys have an OL challenge with the hole at LG, a backup up at RT, a ? at Center and Smith's inability to stay healthy.

I also believe there are some good OL early in this draft but the fall off is pretty steep after 15; however, the next grouping is about the same through the first two days, if you buy into the draft analysis people.

They picked Williams in the 2nd and tried to change an OT to OG and it never really worked. McGovern was a 3rd and couldn't take the job from Williams. So, the odds of repeating that are too good. Bottom line is it takes time.

The WR position is deep with 6-7 projected in the 1st and there are some that could step in as a starter in the 3 man group, at least until Gallup is ready.

Under normal circumstances we'd say start building that OL with a 1st because they've done well with 1sts but those were better 1sts than what will be at 24. Trade up for a blue chipper day one starter? OK.

But this team has management that will never consider the word rebuild and they want to compete every year and are coming off a 12 win division winning season so what to address first? Whatever helps the QB the most. That is Job 1.

If the mode is win now, then the choice is simple, WR. Get another weapon for the QB with the 1st and then get the OL later.

This doesn't address DL or LB in the 1st because I don't think that is the debate, it will be offense in the 1st. If some edge guy fell, they might react to that but I think they're better at WR's in the 1st than DE's.

It does not matter what player they take in the 1st if the do not fix the latency with the QB. The Giants had this same issue with their OL and they worked with Manning to get his release out quicker, quicker reads with the understanding this could result in more picks. Better than strip sacks or injuries to the QB.

And this is not about the QB but about how to best help him in this draft. Yes, he needs a better OL but a better WR corps is easier to come by and quicker when they want to win now.
I get the argument both ways, and not just those two spots. You could make the argument for a tackle on either side of the ball as well as guard, center and WR
We don’t know what the board will look like at 24 and I always want the best player. But the 5th or 6th best WR vs the 1st or 2nd guard to me is easy. I take the guard. Tackle, on either side is really hard to find and if either was there I’d go that route, but don’t see a tackle being left on D or O that’s close to being best player. There are WR’s who if they fell could be a better option. You just won’t know till you know
But if all goes as most are expecting then we got a chance to get a top 2 guard and that’s how I’d go

snapper

Reaction score
For me, this is an easy question.

I'd go o-line. What good is another receiver if the running game stinks and the QB is on his butt. Protect Dak, give him a good running game (with a solid o-line), and the passing game will be okay, especially if they pick up a 3rd receiver in round 3.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, this is an easy question.

I'd go o-line. What good is another receiver if the running game stinks and the QB is on his butt. Protect Dak, give him a good running game (with a solid o-line), and the passing game will be okay, especially if they pick up a 3rd receiver in round 3.
That assumes they feel they have a strong #1WR in Lamb. They went through 2021 with a 1 and 1A.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have always believed that you don't want to go into the draft with gaping holes in the roster. The Cowboys tried to avoid this problem signing Fowler at DE, Washington at WR, Kearse and Hooker at S and LVE at LB. But they lost Connor Williams and cut La'el Collins and did not make a notable signing along the OL. So they enter the draft with a gaping hole at LG. Sure they have McGovern but he is not even as good as Connor Williams.

The goal is to get better, isn't it? McGovern does not meet that criteria. Neither does Washington at WR but at least he is someone who can start.

The Cowboys have a gaping hole at LG and I think we all agree the OL needed an upgrade even with Connor Williams. I feel like this makes OG a big a must in the first round. Although I agree, there is really a short list of guys in this draft I would take and trust to start at LG in September. Unfortunately for Dallas, those guys will probably all be gone by 24 unless they get lucky again. Maybe they will.

Jarntt

Reaction score
OL, yes, but WR is not one of my top needs at all. We have CeeDee and we just resigned Gallup. I'm always BPA to an extent so If they love a WR in that spot I'm fine with it but there is no need to force WR. You can always find a #3 out there and if our concern is Gallup being out the first few weeks that would be an asinine reason to draft a player in the 1st round for.

I'd much rather see us go defense (all 3 levels) than WR. I don't even get why this is a thing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the argument both ways, and not just those two spots. You could make the argument for a tackle on either side of the ball as well as guard, center and WR
We don’t know what the board will look like at 24 and I always want the best player. But the 5th or 6th best WR vs the 1st or 2nd guard to me is easy. I take the guard. Tackle, on either side is really hard to find and if either was there I’d go that route, but don’t see a tackle being left on D or O that’s close to being best player. There are WR’s who if they fell could be a better option. You just won’t know till you know
But if all goes as most are expecting then we got a chance to get a top 2 guard and that’s how I’d go
If a top OL fell to that 24 spot, that changes it but WR's are more apt to fall.

From what I see, the falloff in WR's in the 1st isn't steep. Williams, London, Wilson, Olave, Dotson or Burks and Pickens was considered the #1WR before the season started.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the great teams that move on in the playoffs all have decent to great trenches. Never fails. Until we understand this, we will fail. December you win with imposing your will via thuggery.

817Gill

Reaction score
Not even much of a debate to me. Acting like Gallup, Lamb, and Washington are Hurns, TWill, and Deonte Thompson is totally screwing up some of y’all’s viewpoints.

At the every least we have a slightly above average WR corps plus it’s a position you can draft well into round 3 (see Michael Gallup) and the abundance at the position not only allows you to wait, but it also makes you look like a stupid fool if you spend a third 1st round draft pick on a WR in 4 years.

You literally do not have a starting LG and with where we are drafting you should have your pick between 2-3 high quality guys. No reason to take a WR there when you have ample opportunity to take one in rounds 2-4.

I honestly don’t even think the FO is debating this. They already said they are going Oline unless a can’t-miss blue chipper falls to them. The priorities seem to be:

OL
DE
WR
LB
TE
FS
RB

I think you’ll see all these addressed for sure expect maybe FS lol.

conner01

Reaction score
That assumes they feel they have a strong #1WR in Lamb. They went through 2021 with a 1 and 1A.
That’s a big question
I think Lamb is very talented but is he a guy who is gonna force a defense to pay attention to?
I don’t know
But this is a deep WR class so it’s not like the 7th guy is that much better than the 10th guy
I have no doubt we need to add a WR and if the right guy fell to 24 I’d go that way
Just not sure the 6-7 guy is a better choice than the 1-2 guy at another position
We need both but we need to get the best we can and to me it’s go G before WR

Rayman70

Reaction score
RB is a higher need than we all realize. If we can address the lines first, I wann get a stud RB in the middle rds. We need fresh legs and instincts. Kenneth Walker is a guy I really like.

Dre11

Reaction score
WR.
You can find OL after the first that can fit in with the unit. Give me the 1st round WR that can be agame changer, I don't think an OLineman changes the game its the unit as a whole. Where a premium Wr can change the game.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always believed that you don't want to go into the draft with gaping holes in the roster. The Cowboys tried to avoid this problem signing Fowler at DE, Washington at WR, Kearse and Hooker at S and LVE at LB. But they lost Connor Williams and cut La'el Collins and did not make a notable signing along the OL. So they enter the draft with a gaping hole at LG. Sure they have McGovern but he is not even as good as Connor Williams.

The goal is to get better, isn't it? McGovern does not meet that criteria. Neither does Washington at WR but at least he is someone who can start.

The Cowboys have a gaping hole at LG and I think we all agree the OL needed an upgrade even with Connor Williams. I feel like this makes OG a big a must in the first round. Although I agree, there is really a short list of guys in this draft I would take and trust to start at LG in September. Unfortunately for Dallas, those guys will probably all be gone by 24 unless they get lucky again. Maybe they will.
The upcoming draft has several good OGs and OTs that will be available in the first round if the other teams draft for need in round 1.
Guards Ikem Ekwonu, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, and tackles Evan Neal, Ikem Ekwonu, and Charles Cross for starters. I bet one of is available at 24.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

How bout Oline with the first and WR with the second rounder ?

ondaedg

Reaction score
The all-star OL is a dead end strategy. You can draft good guards and centers in the 3rd round and I mean top 10 type of player. The top teams are loading up with playmakers and this new breed of WRs are changing everything. If Jameson Williams is available you grab him and don’t even think twice about it. The 2nd and 3rd rounds can give us D and OL.