The OL v WR debate in the draft

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I posted this in the draft zone. OL is a shell of its former self. The offense is DOA if they can’t run block or pass block.

starfan1

Reaction score
all depends on whose there at 24. I mean if the best Ol is gone and you know the that position has the best depth in the draft there isnt a thing wrong with going WR if Burks is there. I myself hope one of the georgia DL are there and we take one of them. OL is a must though

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I would love for us to go LG in the first. Was I the only person who noticed how soft our lines are? We can't run and we get run over on defense. In my draft simulations, I've picked 4 OL (2 tackles, a guard and a center), 2 DL and that 6'7" TE out of Virginia. I'm tired of the softness. We need to toughen up a bitt.

JBS

Reaction score
This isn’t ol vs wr. You take the best player on your team. Period. Better chances that the best player available will be a wr than an ol. Not very hard.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
If impact players at LB and DL are not even in the discussion --- and I am going to assume you are correct.

SSDD just another year. They don't change, and neither will the results. WR is going nowhere, you just cut/traded a #1 (still only one ball), and OL is greatest need, not greatest impact.

conner01

Reaction score
If a top OL fell to that 24 spot, that changes it but WR's are more apt to fall.

From what I see, the falloff in WR's in the 1st isn't steep. Williams, London, Wilson, Olave, Dotson or Burks and Pickens was considered the #1WR before the season started.
I don’t think a top OT falls but I think there’s a solid chance one of top 2 guards and/or top center are there
It’s is a deep WR class so they could fall
You just never know
I didn’t expect Lamb to be there when we got him
Some crazy stuff can happen sometimes and you could always see Jerry slide back a few spots
Most important thing is we get at least 3 players who can play day one, even if they aren’t the actual starter
We need so many things that it would be hard to screw up 24

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I do believe the Cowboys have an OL challenge with the hole at LG, a backup up at RT, a ? at Center and Smith's inability to stay healthy.

I also believe there are some good OL early in this draft but the fall off is pretty steep after 15; however, the next grouping is about the same through the first two days, if you buy into the draft analysis people.

They picked Williams in the 2nd and tried to change an OT to OG and it never really worked. McGovern was a 3rd and couldn't take the job from Williams. So, the odds of repeating that are too good. Bottom line is it takes time.

The WR position is deep with 6-7 projected in the 1st and there are some that could step in as a starter in the 3 man group, at least until Gallup is ready.

Under normal circumstances we'd say start building that OL with a 1st because they've done well with 1sts but those were better 1sts than what will be at 24. Trade up for a blue chipper day one starter? OK.

But this team has management that will never consider the word rebuild and they want to compete every year and are coming off a 12 win division winning season so what to address first? Whatever helps the QB the most. That is Job 1.

If the mode is win now, then the choice is simple, WR. Get another weapon for the QB with the 1st and then get the OL later.

This doesn't address DL or LB in the 1st because I don't think that is the debate, it will be offense in the 1st. If some edge guy fell, they might react to that but I think they're better at WR's in the 1st than DE's.

It does not matter what player they take in the 1st if the do not fix the latency with the QB. The Giants had this same issue with their OL and they worked with Manning to get his release out quicker, quicker reads with the understanding this could result in more picks. Better than strip sacks or injuries to the QB.

And this is not about the QB but about how to best help him in this draft. Yes, he needs a better OL but a better WR corps is easier to come by and quicker when they want to win now.
we have our starting WRs, got a slot guy and couple of developmental guys. Brown is there to be the 4th guy as usual. WR is not a need. do I like more talent? yes, I like more talent across the board.

but you hit the nail on the head. we have no starting Guard and a huge question mark at center. so not only there is no depth, we don't have a full set of starters. like you said, Steele was the swing tackle and now we don't have one. perhaps one of the bench guys ala Steel may step up, but like previous years would have been nice to get a veteran until the young ones develop.

we have to go OL, DL the first two rounds. without those two positions, it doesn't matter if we are 6 deep at WR with #1WRs....its going to fall apart.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There's an OL vs WR debate? Who the heck think we need to draft a WR in the first? The first is where you want to get your day one starters. A WR isn't starting day one for this offense.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do believe the Cowboys have an OL challenge with the hole at LG, a backup up at RT, a ? at Center and Smith's inability to stay healthy.

I also believe there are some good OL early in this draft but the fall off is pretty steep after 15; however, the next grouping is about the same through the first two days, if you buy into the draft analysis people.

They picked Williams in the 2nd and tried to change an OT to OG and it never really worked. McGovern was a 3rd and couldn't take the job from Williams. So, the odds of repeating that are too good. Bottom line is it takes time.

The WR position is deep with 6-7 projected in the 1st and there are some that could step in as a starter in the 3 man group, at least until Gallup is ready.

Under normal circumstances we'd say start building that OL with a 1st because they've done well with 1sts but those were better 1sts than what will be at 24. Trade up for a blue chipper day one starter? OK.

But this team has management that will never consider the word rebuild and they want to compete every year and are coming off a 12 win division winning season so what to address first? Whatever helps the QB the most. That is Job 1.

If the mode is win now, then the choice is simple, WR. Get another weapon for the QB with the 1st and then get the OL later.

This doesn't address DL or LB in the 1st because I don't think that is the debate, it will be offense in the 1st. If some edge guy fell, they might react to that but I think they're better at WR's in the 1st than DE's.

It does not matter what player they take in the 1st if the do not fix the latency with the QB. The Giants had this same issue with their OL and they worked with Manning to get his release out quicker, quicker reads with the understanding this could result in more picks. Better than strip sacks or injuries to the QB.

And this is not about the QB but about how to best help him in this draft. Yes, he needs a better OL but a better WR corps is easier to come by and quicker when they want to win now.
OL hands down in my opinion. Time to throw prevents happy feet and improves accuracy. Also helps the running game and time of possession, keeping the Defense on the sideline.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly we are set at RT, RG, and if they think ball can be average at LT then we are good there too, now center we need help or to give fairnok a shot and they could use a Lg in round 3 cause paying McGovern is out of the question. Maybe also grab a possible swing tackle in case Ball still has issues. We don't have to have a top 5 pick to get a good player, if someone falls then maybe pull the trigger cause we got plenty of needs esp on defense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If the OL is rated higher than the WR in the 1st, do it.

I just do not recall a lot of great ranked OL falling in the 1st rounds. And while the Cowboys have done well with 3 OL in the 1st round, there have also been 1st round OL failures across the league.
We just need oline help in the worse way

Blackrain

Reaction score
I want Jordan Davis and think he can do us the most good but I would take oline over wide receiver if the guy can step right in and play and there are no guarantees of that.

I think the offensive line should have been handled in free agency or at least something handled in free agency.

We really needed to get someone we could hang our hat on at one of these positions because expecting to get it all in the draft is wishful thinking.
All that said in all honesty it's really too early to talk intelligently on this because you just don't know who is going to be there when we pick and the circumstances will alter the case

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Totally understand the debate I think you can justify OL, WR, DL or LB. If there is one guy at one of those positions that's a step above the rest in talent you take them. Then do the same thing in round 2 and 3. If you end up with 2 OLs and a WR great. If it's an OL, DL, and LB that's fine too.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

100% agree, CC!

The Cowboys NEED to go WR with their 1st or 2nd round picks, but I would try to trade down into the late 1st round if it will garner me an extra 3rd or 4th & 5th round picks.

Then use that late 1st round pick to pick up:

BRANDON SMITH
Penn-State-Nittany-Lions.png

Brandon-Smith-LB-PennState.png

HEIGHT
6-3
WEIGHT
COLLEGE
Penn State
POSITION
LB
CLASS
Junior
HOME TOWN
Louisa, VA
87.0/100
PLAYER RATING
POSITION RANK
FORTY YD TIME
SACKS
FUMBLES FORCED
TACKLES
SOL TACKLES

Strengths & Weaknesses:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Brandon-Smith-LB-PennState

In the 2nd round, go get a WR that has the size, ability and speed to help Dak and this Offense starting Weak 1:

TYQUAN THORNTON
Baylor-Bears.png

Tyquan-Thornton-WR-Baylor.png

HEIGHT
6-3
WEIGHT
COLLEGE
Baylor
POSITION
WR
CLASS
Senior
HOME TOWN
Miami, FL
FORTY YD TIME
RECEPTIONS
REC YDS
REC TDS
REC AVG

Strengths & Weaknesses:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tyquan-Thornton-WR-Baylor

Then use the 3rd round to go after a Guard (Oline). Several players potentially to be had here, but I would use a later round pick to move up into the early 3rd round (or use a early 3rd round pick if able to trade down in the 1st round with Detroit from pick #24 to #32 while getting Detroit's early 3rd round pick or swap 3rd round picks) to get a very experienced and proven Guard (both left & right positions experience on Oline) in:

ED INGRAM
LSU-Tigers.png

Ed-Ingram-C-LSU.png

HEIGHT
6-3
WEIGHT
COLLEGE
LSU
POSITION
OG
CLASS
Senior
HOME TOWN
Desoto, TX
82.2/100
PLAYER RATING
POSITIONRANK
FORTY YD TIME

Strengths & Weaknesses:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Ed-Ingram-C-LSU

Flamma

Reaction score

If OT Penning falls to the late teens, Dallas needs to move up to get him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nah, stop over-reaching, trading up or using a 1st round pick on another Olineman.

Very good Guards and Tackles to be had in both the 3rd & 4th rounds.

Motorola

Reaction score

Approaching 40 comments; by my quick count, the majority (at least 20) definitely want the 1st pick to be for the OLine.
A good half dozen or so responses are on the fence...they could go either way depending on what player(s) is\are still available at 24.
I viewed two that definitely wanted a WR in the first round.
Saw 3-4 CZers that opted for a pick on defense (DT, DE) instead of OL or WR.