The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
O
V
E
R
T
I
M
E

One guy is signed for $450M and the other for $3.7M. How did the QB (Trubisky) drafted before Mahomes that year do?
You’re falling for the trap many others have.

You think trying and failing is worse than not trying at all in terms of drafting a QB.

What’s more likely?

We hit on a 1st round QB or Dak becomes the 1st QB ever to win a Super Bowl under his circumstances?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think teams are more than capable of winning it all with the 'outlier' qbs. Foles, Purdy, Hurts, Jimmy G all have gotten to the dance in recent history. The bigger issue to me is paying the outlier QBs. Rookie QB deals area beautiful thing for NFL teams. If you're going to pay a QB record money they better be an elite QB or you better have a top front office in the league who can fill out a roster while navigating the 50-60M per year you're paying the quarterback.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I saw the outlier fail while the 1st round pick succeed.

This is a perfect time to post this.
Well if you watch the game Brock Purdy did not fail . He played beyond well enough to win the 49ers special teams lost that game.
I fully understand your point that DAk is not as talented as mahomes and does not deserve his kind of money no question.

But you get so hung up on the quarterback position that you don't realize the rest of the team is making it possible for him to succeed the chiefs secondary played incredibly Chris Jones contribution was very understated if he didn't have that sack they could have very well scored a touchdown and things could have been different.

The way the Chiefs build a team helps Patrick mahomes succeed in the playoffs and super bowl.

The way Jerry builds a team makes it easy for Dak to beat up on bad teams pump up the fan base then get killed in the playoffs

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well if you watch the game Brock Purdy did not fail . He played beyond well enough to win the 49ers special teams lost that game.
I fully understand your point that DAk is not as talented as mahomes and does not deserve his kind of money no question.

But you get so hung up on the quarterback position that you don't realize the rest of the team is making it possible for him to succeed the chiefs secondary played incredibly Chris Jones contribution was very understated if he didn't have that sack they could have very well scored a touchdown and things could have been different.

The way the Chiefs build a team helps Patrick mahomes succeed in the playoffs and super bowl.

The way Jerry builds a team makes it easy for Dak to beat up on bad teams pump up the fan base then get killed in the playoffs
Okay let’s add Purdy even though his team lost.

What’s more likely? Hitting on a 1st round QB or finding a Brock Purdy?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
Jerry Jones' opinion is the only one that matters. There is 30 years of his decision-making concerning the position That is actual decision-making and not the what-he-might-have done variety like Johnny Manziel.

The man backed Romo 100% after he outshined Drew Bledsoe, eventually paid him and was fully loyal to him until...

The man swooned for Prescott only two months into a rookie career, kicked Romo to the curb, supported Prescott 100% and eventually paid him.

Members attack each other over opinions. Meanwhile, the real target should be the guy, who has established patterns of decision-making when it comes to quarterbacks.

And let no one forget. The self-appointed genius thought Quincy Carter was a brilliant draft pick. Kicked Tony Banks, an offseason acquisition to MENTOR Carter, to the curb before the regular season even began.

Oh well. Forget Jones. ATTACK!

12+88=7

Reaction score
Isn't the point that sooner or later you have to come up with a different option.

There is enough data that shows what Dallas is trying to accomplish is something that has never happened before.

The search began last year when they traded for Lance. It should continue until another option is found.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Isn't the point that sooner or later you have to come up with a different option.

There is enough data that shows what Dallas is trying to accomplish is something that has never happened before.

The search began last year when they traded for Lance. It should continue until another option is found.
You’re correct.

What they are trying to do with Dak has never been done before. They are just going to extend him and every year that passes the already astronomically odds of Dallas making history becomes even more insane.

The problem is that other option never gets an opportunity unless they are forced into the position.

Swagger

Reaction score
Jerry Jones' opinion is the only one that matters. There is 30 years of his decision-making concerning the position That is actual decision-making and not the what-he-might-have done variety like Johnny Manziel.

The man backed Romo 100% after he outshined Drew Bledsoe, eventually paid him and was fully loyal to him until...

The man swooned for Prescott only two months into a rookie career, kicked Romo to the curb, supported Prescott 100% and eventually paid him.

Members attack each other over opinions. Meanwhile, the real target should be the guy, who has established patterns of decision-making when it comes to quarterbacks.

And let no one forget. The self-appointed genius thought Quincy Carter was a brilliant draft pick. Kicked Tony Banks, an offseason acquisition to MENTOR Carter, to the curb before the regular season even began.

Oh well. Forget Jones. ATTACK!
Romo didn't consistently have the quality of teams Prescott has had supporting him and Romo played in a stronger NFC conference.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Okay let’s add Purdy even though his team lost.

What’s more likely? Hitting on a 1st round QB or finding a Brock Purdy?
I agree finding your starting quarterback that can play great in a super bowl and should have won the game with his performance in the last pic of the draft is like having the brinks truck roll over in front of you.

And what's better yet is the 49ers aren't paying this guy a king's Ransom which helps them afford to pick up guys in free agency to bolster their defensive line.

I totally hear you I like Dak
I feel we could get to a super bowl with him but he needs a whole lot of help to get there more help than we have given him and more help than I believe we can afford to give him with the amount of money he takes off in the cap.

I think Dak has to accept a salary that is commensurate with what he is capable of doing unfortunately with all the stats that he compiles it makes it difficult for us to bargain.

The stats he compiled give the illusion that he is on a plane with mahomes but this is absolutely not the case nor is anyone in the NFL that I can see.
No one has close to all of those tools that mahomes has

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

:clap: :clap: :clap:My issue with OP......some of his issues regarding Dak are valid, no question but it's the other stuff he leaves out that impacts winning just as much. Now if you have a Mahomes or Brady, they can cover a lot of team shortcomings but most QBs can only cover so much. It's why I believe NO QB should make more than Mahomes........regardless of the way the market is structured.

1942willys

Reaction score
:clap: :clap: :clap:My issue with OP......some of his issues regarding Dak are valid, no question but it's the other stuff he leaves out that impacts winning just as much. Now if you have a Mahomes or Brady, they can cover a lot of team shortcomings but most QBs can only cover so much. It's why I believe NO QB should make more than Mahomes........regardless of the way the market is structured.
That is the way it should be; every GM from this point on should look at any QB wanting a big deal and say
"Your are not Patrick Mahomes and you will not get paid like him."

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree mahomes should set the market because he can do things mentally and athletically that nobody else in the league can do it's just flat out the truth.

Lamar Jackson may be his equal athletically but in the moment Patrick mahomes improvises overcomes and succeeds where others fail.

Dak has the ability to play well as long as everybody is doing their jobs and I have said this for a long time and there's nothing to matter with that but he is not your guy to just put the whole team on his back on the biggest stage and pull the rabbit out of the hat he needs the rest of the team to pull their weight as a result no matter how many statistics he compiles he has limitations that the statistics don't show and that has to be taken into account when his contract comes up

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

The funny thing is that you think that it's the QB that keeping us from a Superbowl. That's cute.

How old was Dak when we went to our last Super Bowl??

How did our last first-round QB do after the culture that Jimmy built was replaced by the culture that Jerry replaced it with? Hint - He was not good. At all. Seriously, he was a .500 QB, his completion percentage was under 60% and his TD-to-completion ratio was embarrassing. How did Aikman go from winning Superbowls to being a mess? No one can win with our culture.

The blame lies with the old man in the box!!!!! That's it. Nothing will change until the old man in the box gives up control.
But, yea, it's Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

Or

Tom Brady

Unfortunately winning a Super Bowl isn’t our initial priority . Remaining around the rim is.

As long as our owner is intent on retaining Dak there’s not much we can do but continue trying to surround him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That is the way it should be; every GM from this point on should look at any QB wanting a big deal and say
"Your are not Patrick Mahomes and you will not get paid like him."
I agree I think it's pretty simple and Daks case you're a good quarterback but you're not Patrick mahomes you need more help to do your job at a high level than he does.

As a result we can't pay you like him because we need to use some of that money to get you the help you need pretty much that simple.
And all the statistics in the world do not justify your limitations.

Limitations that need to be overcome by more quality personnel that have to be paid