The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree mahomes should set the market because he can do things mentally and athletically that nobody else in the league can do it's just flat out the truth.

Lamar Jackson may be his equal athletically but in the moment Patrick mahomes improvises overcomes and succeeds where others fail.

Dak has the ability to play well as long as everybody is doing their jobs and I have said this for a long time and there's nothing to matter with that but he is not your guy to just put the whole team on his back on the biggest stage and pull the rabbit out of the hat he needs the rest of the team to pull their weight as a result no matter how many statistics he compiles he has limitations that the statistics don't show and that has to be taken into account when his contract comes up
So true.........

Creeper

Reaction score
Since 2000, 69 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round. Of those 6 have won a Super Bowl. That 6 includes Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Joe Flacco. I would dispute that it is easier to find a SB winning QB in the draft than win with Dak.

And as I said in another post, The QB that has the potential to win the SB might not even be that obvious come draft time. Of the 6 SB winning QB only 2 were the first pick in the draft. The other 4 were passed on by other teams including Mahomes who was passed on by 10 other teams including the Bill who traded the pick to KC so they could take him.

What some people who are blaming Dak are refusing to accept is that this team had other weaknesses that hurt them more than Dak and that includes a soft defense and no running game. My goodness, look at the LBs who started against the Packers and then explain to me how exactly we expected to stop the run.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Since 2000, 69 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round. Of those 6 have won a Super Bowl. That 6 includes Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Joe Flacco. I would dispute that it is easier to find a SB winning QB in the draft than win with Dak.

And as I said in another post, The QB that has the potential to win the SB might not even be that obvious come draft time. Of the 6 SB winning QB only 2 were the first pick in the draft. The other 4 were passed on by other teams including Mahomes who was passed on by 10 other teams including the Bill who traded the pick to KC so they could take him.

What some people who are blaming Dak are refusing to accept is that this team had other weaknesses that hurt them more than Dak and that includes a soft defense and no running game. My goodness, look at the LBs who started against the Packers and then explain to me how exactly we expected to stop the run.
How many 4th round or lower QBs not named Brady has won Super Bowls since 2000?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
O
V
E
R
T
I
M
E

One guy is signed for $450M and the other for $3.7M. How did the QB (Trubisky) drafted before Mahomes that year do?
Kind of dumb to think that every QB that you are going to take in the first round is going to be Trubisky and to use that to somehow be afraid to draft a QB. I mean we could say this about any position right? Why bother taking anyone in the first round - they could all be Morris Claibornes or Taco Charltons. I mean isn't this why you pay scouts to actually evaluate people? Isn't that why Jerry and his peeps go to the Senior Bowl?

Forneymike

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
only two guys on that list have been to a super bowl and only one has won it. I don't want a QB that doesn't win a SB so give me options that know how to win a big game. Lamar hasn't done anything. I want a QB that is different like Mahomes and Brady. The rest are no better than Dak....they don't win the game that matters.....so while you complain about Dak, only use names and find options that can match a SB winner not runner up or never gotten there and I don't care about Championship games...still losing. The standard here used to be SB wins not the mediocrity of getting there

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, not having an Elite QB is only part of the problem here.

Look at Balt and Buffalo. Great teams and QB’s weren’t enough . And SF another great team which wasn’t enough to overcome Mahomes.

And what’s not being reported here is several lower than 1st round QB’s make the SB. Purdy was last player drafted . Do they need to start over looking for a new QB?

Qcard

Reaction score
So the Super Bowl from two days ago was between the last player drafted and a first round QB and goes to OT and you think this is a good time for this point?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dak Haters have an Outlier Mentality... They attach drones to deer antlers :laugh::laugh:

Jarntt

Reaction score
Kind of dumb to think that every QB that you are going to take in the first round is going to be Trubisky and to use that to somehow be afraid to draft a QB. I mean we could say this about any position right? Why bother taking anyone in the first round - they could all be Morris Claibornes or Taco Charltons. I mean isn't this why you pay scouts to actually evaluate people? Isn't that why Jerry and his peeps go to the Senior Bowl?
Just as dumb as thinking every QB you are going to draft in the first round is Mahomes. All I did was bring up the QB taken before Mahomes to prove what could happen. Your comment has nothing to do with anything I'm saying. The assumption that a QB will be great because he is a first rounder is false. Like most other positions the odds of success with a first rounder are higher but the two need to align. Picking one just to pick one is idiotic and when you miss with an early first rounder it leaves a bigger mark. Which SB winning QB do you expect to be there at pick #24 this year? All of those QBs mentioned by the OP other than Love and Jackson were picked in the top 10. Jackson has been more disappointing than Dak in the playoffs and Love has won one playoff game. I'm all for moving on from Dak if we find a better option including cap savings from a cheaper QB, but the assumption of it being as simple as just drafting a QB in the first round are dumb

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m fine with drafting a QB. I just would prefer that if we’re going to go with that model we should also go for a full rebuild including coaches.

No half measures

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree I think it's pretty simple and Daks case you're a good quarterback but you're not Patrick mahomes you need more help to do your job at a high level than he does.

As a result we can't pay you like him because we need to use some of that money to get you the help you need pretty much that simple.
And all the statistics in the world do not justify your limitations.

Limitations that need to be overcome by more quality personnel that have to be paid
That’s exactly what Jerry was saying they expect from him but everyone focused on “all in,” which was absolutely not meant the way people think. “He is going to have to work with us” is what was said.

That being the case, I don’t think an extension is a foregone conclusion and it may very well get ugly.

Dak broke the bank on the last one and didn’t hold up his end. He ought to take a discount for his own purpose and legacy….provided they are actually going to use the savings to improve the team instead of putting it into Stephens inheritance fund.

1942willys

Reaction score
That’s exactly what Jerry was saying they expect from him but everyone focused on “all in,” which was absolutely not meant the way people think. “He is going to have to work with us” is what was said.

That being the case, I don’t think an extension is a foregone conclusion and it may very well get ugly.

Dak broke the bank on the last one and didn’t hold up his end. He ought to take a discount for his own purpose and legacy….provided they are actually going to use the savings to improve the team instead of putting it into Stephens inheritance fund.
Between his guaranteed money and his endorsements, Dak has all the money he will ever need not only for his life but that of his children.
Now maybe not Tad.....

hopemsu

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes didnt have to score 30 points to win any of the 21 games that Kansas City played this year, sounds like he had plenty of help from his defense.

Give Dak the same, "You dont have to score 30 points to win any of the games including the super bowl" and we likely wouldve gone pretty far.

Mahomes looked like an average qb in the first half of the super bowl, threw a bad interception. Kansas City defense kept them in the game until Andy Reid figured something out. Dak has none of that luxury.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I think teams are more than capable of winning it all with the 'outlier' qbs. Foles, Purdy, Hurts, Jimmy G all have gotten to the dance in recent history. The bigger issue to me is paying the outlier QBs. Rookie QB deals area beautiful thing for NFL teams. If you're going to pay a QB record money they better be an elite QB or you better have a top front office in the league who can fill out a roster while navigating the 50-60M per year you're paying the quarterback.
There’s the rub – “If you’re going to pay a QB record money they better be an elite QB”. That statement pushes me toward procuring an early round selection. Based on the couple names you appropriately cited, I’d say they’ve had smaller windows of success and promise, and I’m considering Hurts as the jury is still out on his long-term success. So, if your cost conscious fourth rounder exceeds expectations during his first contract, the next round of negotiations may put him with big boys which will be a dramatic bump in money allocation and may stress your salary cap and start a snowball effect from hell. Have we seen this before?

Why not just bite the bullet and spend the capital to get a blue chipper knowing “x” amount of money for 8-10 years is going to go to this ONE guy that gives you a better opportunity to consistently be in contention at the end? Yeah, the initial investment is going to sting but make room for it knowing (I know…you’ve got to hit on the pick) you’ve got your centerpiece for years to come. With all the hearkening back to the glory days in the 90’s you’d think someone would have recognized that was made possible in part by the play of a first round QB. To whoever's thinking it, please spare us the, "I could have QB'd those teams." Said in jest, but someone will pounce on that.

This past year was a Dak on the fence year for me and I think I've been patient as a fan. I like him. I think he’s been great for an organization that’s under a microscope, he says the right things and may be a great teammate, but…dang, I can’t move on with him and believe this team can make a deep run. The process has run its course and I think it’s time to move on.

We need “That Guy”.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Between his guaranteed money and his endorsements, Dak has all the money he will ever need not only for his life but that of his children.
Now maybe not Tad.....
Yep, you’d figure he would want a supporting cast more than more money, but we are about to find out.

I’m not getting all wound up over it because first…France probably nixes any shot of that, and I’m not fully convinced the money would be spent to improve the team.

They actually put themselves in a position to win the last few years but refused to sign a top DT and LB to supplement the roster correctly….and that was the exact downfall.

They think every one of their mid round draft picks is going to be a stud. Monumentally stupid, but that’s the kid for you.

hopemsu

Reaction score
There’s the rub – “If you’re going to pay a QB record money they better be an elite QB”. That statement pushes me toward procuring an early round selection. Based on the couple names you appropriately cited, I’d say they’ve had smaller windows of success and promise, and I’m considering Hurts as the jury is still out on his long-term success. So, if your cost conscious fourth rounder exceeds expectations during his first contract, the next round of negotiations may put him with big boys which will be a dramatic bump in money allocation and may stress your salary cap and start a snowball effect from hell. Have we seen this before?

Why not just bite the bullet and spend the capital to get a blue chipper knowing “x” amount of money for 8-10 years is going to go to this ONE guy that gives you a better opportunity to consistently be in contention at the end? Yeah, the initial investment is going to sting but make room for it knowing (I know…you’ve got to hit on the pick) you’ve got your centerpiece for years to come. With all the hearkening back to the glory days in the 90’s you’d think someone would have recognized that was made possible in part by the play of a first round QB. To whoever's thinking it, please spare us the, "I could have QB'd those teams." Said in jest, but someone will pounce on that.

This past year was a Dak on the fence year for me and I think I've been patient as a fan. I like him. I think he’s been great for an organization that’s under a microscope, he says the right things and may be a great teammate, but…dang, I can’t move on with him and believe this team can make a deep run. The process has run its course and I think it’s time to move on.

We need “That Guy”.
and we need that defense as well.