The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

Blackrain

Reaction score
That is the way it should be; every GM from this point on should look at any QB wanting a big deal and say
"Your are not Patrick Mahomes and you will not get paid like him.

That’s exactly what Jerry was saying they expect from him but everyone focused on “all in,” which was absolutely not meant the way people think. “He is going to have to work with us” is what was said.

That being the case, I don’t think an extension is a foregone conclusion and it may very well get ugly.

Dak broke the bank on the last one and didn’t hold up his end. He ought to take a discount for his own purpose and legacy….provided they are actually going to use the savings to improve the team instead of putting it into Stephens inheritance fund.
Yeah it's very frustrating we can't seem to get it all together at the right time. We built a defense that performed much better than previous but had to operate under a special set of circumstances which required us getting a lead because we couldn't stop the run so we had to make the other team have to pass .
This was a fine defense to be able to compile stats against bad teams but was a liability in the playoffs and was going nowhere.

Our offensive line is ancient and tired and we still need defensive tackles to stop the run Pat mahomes does not win that game without Chris Jones Jonathan hankins is a good player but not a difference Maker in a super bowl.

Look at San Francisco they got the Young Buck cheap and were able to add defensive line help hargrave Chase Young.
It's pretty simple if we want to get better and add talent we can't pay people that don't perform in the playoffs as if they do

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Chiefs completely shuts down the 49ers and the question is what’s easier to find Tom Brady or Mahomes….smh.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
Because Dak is good enough to keep us relevant.
That seems to be the goal here, not SB wins.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The good & the bad of it is that right now there is only one QB in the league that has proven himself capable of truly being a difference maker. There are 3 - 5 youngish guys that seem to have the ability to get a good team there. Everyone else either seems to be on the downhill side of their career or just doesn't have the full slate of goods.

So, you have 5 or so teams that have a shot just based on the advantage they have at the QB position. I would choose to look at this as a very shallow pool of competition. IF you could get yourself someone who could elevate your QB play to those levels, you'd have about as little competition as I can remember. In other words, your window would seem to be open until the league increases it's overall QB talent.

Unfortunately this organization has backed the wrong horse at such a level that they don't have viable means to go after a guy at this time. So, they will have to luck into something or we are looking several years down the road before anything might come to fruition.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Just as dumb as thinking every QB you are going to draft in the first round is Mahomes.
No one said this. But we don't even try. That is the problem. I recall there was a time when this franchise never took a OT in the first round and then they picked Tyron Smith. All anyone is saying is why limit the team instead of looking at options? Is Dak the absolute best we can do at that position? If so why?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
if jerry was smart, and he is not. we would draft a QB every 3,4 years in the first 3 rounds. either to give yourself options, such as walking away from a QB, or develop them and trade them as some do and if they don't work out, you continue to keep the pipeline warm. we can't draft a QB in the first round every year, given all the other needs, but we shouldn't shun away from it if one is there and is rated high. I wouldn't draft a QB in the first round, just for the sake of drafting, if they are not rated highly.

with that said Burrow (1st over all pick), allen (7th pick), herbert (6th pick), strout (2nd over all pic), lawrence (1st over all pick) were all top 5 and no less than 7th (they dropped in QB heavy drafts). you have to suck really bad to get there. those teams sucked before they drafted top 10. at 12-5, we would have a tough time getting one of these guys.

Mahomes wasn't rated high prior to draft and expectations were for him to drop in the draft to bottom of the first round as he was considered a system QB. except Andy reid knew better. he is generational talent. hard to come buy.

Lamar is one exception. despite everything, he has yet to make the superbowl. has had really strong teams around him. his playoff record is 2-4. he benefits a lot from the team around him. and great coaching.

Love is the other exception and he sat behind Rodgers for years. he showed some this year, but the key is continued success. Dak had success his first year starting (rookie). lets see how he does in the next couple of years.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I’m fine with drafting a QB. I just would prefer that if we’re going to go with that model we should also go for a full rebuild including coaches.

No half measures
This 100% but it still wont change anything if the GM we have doesnt change his team building plan..how many more years of proof do some of the posters need before this sinks in...Jerry's way has spanned well over 8 years, sure it gives them talking points for thier demon but its in no way solving the problem if you are truly saying "I only care about winning a SB"...30 years is knocking at thwe door, there is not one player/coach who has been here 30 years...

Edit: wasnt directed at you Kwyn..

Jarntt

Reaction score
No one said this. But we don't even try. That is the problem. I recall there was a time when this franchise never took a OT in the first round and then they picked Tyron Smith. All anyone is saying is why limit the team instead of looking at options? Is Dak the absolute best we can do at that position? If so why?
I don't know that they are or aren't "trying" right now. I'm a BPA in the draft all day every day, but the one place I make an exception is QB. Every other position if you want to spend you can improve in free agency. My point is it's not that simple. If they have a QB on the board at #24 they love I'm fine with it. Heck, I'd be fine with trading up as well. But the key is the right guy needs to be there. If your scouts only have a couple of QBs rated as good enough to pick there and they are all gone it doesn't help. I'm not sure that has been the case when we have drafted lately. Thank Goodness we didn't take Johnny Football. He seems to be the last QB that at least one person associated with this team liked when we got on the board. Most of the QBs the OP mentioned were top 10 picks and we won't be getting that type of guy

MikeT22

Reaction score
It’s crazy this is even a discussion. Common sense would say the better players are generally picked earliest.

If you are lacking common sense there is also Google. One could look at the history of the SB and compare where the starting QBs were drafted. It’s full of QBs taken in the first. The vast majority were in rounds 1-3.

My favorite excuse is too many first rounders are busts. But how many 7th round QBs made it besides Purdy?

It would be laughable but unfortunately Jerry is in the ‘don’t draft a QB before day 3” camp.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s easier to find?

Or

Tom Brady

Nice post but these Dak-Stains don't care about football or the glory of the Star they just LOVE Daktrash.
Of course, they have an excuse for everything and it includes going out like the rest of the NFL teams and risking to better yourself in the most important position.
No they say gotta keep dog beater Dak how else will we make the playoffs?????????
In the end, when a supposedly Cowboy fan places his Player crush above the team's best interests it's agenda-driven and no matter what argument you post is all for not.
There not Horrified as the only thing that scares them is the months going by and Daktrash hasn't gotten his extension.
When you have a buffoon for a GM well you get the idea...........be ready for anything and everything!

MarkP88

Reaction score
You’re falling for the trap many others have.

You think trying and failing is worse than not trying at all in terms of drafting a QB.

What’s more likely?

We hit on a 1st round QB or Dak becomes the 1st QB ever to win a Super Bowl under his circumstances?
Also, the Niners actually make the point perfectly. They DID try - multiple times - they have not settled for a QB who is solid when they thought they could do better. They went from Jimmy G, made a big play for Lance, and when that didn't work out, they were not afraid to cut bait and go with Purdy.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Also, the Niners actually make the point perfectly. They DID try - multiple times - they have not settled for a QB who is solid when they thought they could do better. They went from Jimmy G, made a big play for Lance, and when that didn't work out, they were not afraid to cut bait and go with Purdy.
They won’t pay Purdy top money either.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They won’t pay Purdy top money either.
That will be tough, they dont have heavy picks and are over the cap already for next year..absolutley they have done a fantastic job building teams but the bill is comming due and it could get a little tighter this year for them...I'm not sure they pay him but I'm also not sure they can get another Purdy in the late rounds..we will see..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There competing who can post more of those emoils.................. :muttley:
Is there a in house contest I wasn't aware of???????????
No, there are no contests like that. Those two are just adults acting like children, very immature.