The Patrick Surtain vs Micah Parsons game

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
We can all thank the offensive player hype and we can thank parsons for opting out a year. That was the big reason he dropped. It was a gift. He should have been a top 3 pick and clear #1 defensive player in the draft. Then we can thank last years train wreck that we even had a shot.

As a Penn State alumnus, I totally agree. Parsons opting out last year totally cost him a top 10 selection. After a dominating performance against Memphis in the Jan 1 2020 Cotton Bowl, he was due to have a monsterous 2020 season.

I may have been biased, but I always felt Parsons would have more of an impact on this defense than Horn or Sertain. After all, a better pash rush is one often forgotten component that makes the secondary better, even without much of a change in personnel in the secondary.

kskboys

Reaction score
It depends on what we're talking about when we say "tanking."

The players on the field should be doing their best to win every game. During the game, the coaches should be doing everything they can to win the game.

The front office needs to understand whether the team is rebuilding or competing. If they're rebuilding, then they shouldn't be hanging on to the guys who won't be part of the next competitive team. Hold that fire sale.

I hope nobody disagrees with the above. Okay, I know some people think the guys on the field should deliberately be throwing the game, but that's nuts.

The gray area, I guess, comes with the question of who do you play. Do you play the guys who give you the best chance to win this week's game? Or do you play the young guys, so you can evaluate them, make decisions about the next year, and give them experience. I guess you're arguing they should do the former? And doing the latter is a "loser mentality?" I don't see it, myself.
I have yet to see one single poster express the thought that players should be throwing the game. That's simply a silly accusation by the anti tankers who don't comprehend looking forward and trying to build a contender.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
:thumbup::thumbup:
As a Penn State alumnus, I totally agree. Parsons opting out last year totally cost him a top 10 selection. After a dominating performance against Memphis in the Jan 1 2020 Cotton Bowl, he was due to have a monsterous 2020 season.

I may have been biased, but I always felt Parsons would have more of an impact on this defense than Horn or Sertain. After all, a better pash rush is one often forgotten component that makes the secondary better, even without much of a change in personnel in the secondary.
A total stud leader in the middle of the D was exactly what every defense needs.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
It depends on what we're talking about when we say "tanking."

The players on the field should be doing their best to win every game. During the game, the coaches should be doing everything they can to win the game.

The front office needs to understand whether the team is rebuilding or competing. If they're rebuilding, then they shouldn't be hanging on to the guys who won't be part of the next competitive team. Hold that fire sale.

I hope nobody disagrees with the above. Okay, I know some people think the guys on the field should deliberately be throwing the game, but that's nuts.

The gray area, I guess, comes with the question of who do you play. Do you play the guys who give you the best chance to win this week's game? Or do you play the young guys, so you can evaluate them, make decisions about the next year, and give them experience. I guess you're arguing they should do the former? And doing the latter is a "loser mentality?" I don't see it, myself.
I would say the majority of the group that wanted this team to tank last year wanted the players and coaches to lose on purpose for better draft position thus the loser mentality. What you describe above is not tanking.

ghst187

Reaction score
We wouldn’t have been wrong to pick Surtain if he was there. He’s a very good player already. However, we’d now have a big hole in the middle of our defense and Jaylon would still be whiffing on tackles. Anthony Brown at CB plus Parsons at LB is >>>>> than Surtain at CB plus Jaylon at LB. We now have a playmaker at all three levels of the defense.

rambo2

Reaction score
We wouldn’t have been wrong to pick Surtain if he was there. He’s a very good player already. However, we’d now have a big hole in the middle of our defense and Jaylon would still be whiffing on tackles. Anthony Brown at CB plus Parsons at LB is >>>>> than Surtain at CB plus Jaylon at LB. We now have a playmaker at all three levels of the defense.
Jaylon can't even play at all. His Green Bay film got him cut out of the league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’ll take Parsons now and I would’ve predraft. We were lucky to have picked when we did and not any sooner.
Either pick would’ve helped. But this is why people are against tanking. You tank and Pitts or Surtain is your pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was possible. He was slated by most to be a 2-5 pick. After Barbie, there was no consensus for #2.
and yet there many of you all zoners, not me. said top 10 for LB was too high,, we picked him 12 they still cried we didn't get an OL..

got it,..odd now in hindsight we are calling this kid top 2 lmao..

i said before the draft during the draft and after Parsons was a great pick..he was no consolation prize every bit as good pick as any of the top Cbs i would have been equally happy with either of the top 3

horn
surtain
Parosns
it was a coin flip...
those trying to jump on the bandwagon after the fact what the filp ever to you all..nice try,

top 2 ,no ,top 10 yes, 12 a steal

ADD A 3RD, PRICELESS LOL

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, he's right. He's a #1 pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nice try trying to run in late and start with the should haves

i was on board pre draft draft day and before he played snap he for sure was worth every but and then some..not top 5 sorry dont agree,..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are a handful of us that wanted the linebacker no matter what. And I’m glad we have him

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
and yet there many of you all zoners, not me. said top 10 for LB was too high,, we picked him 12 they still cried we didn't get an OL..

got it,..odd now in hindsight we are calling this kid top 2 lmao..

i said before the draft during the draft and after Parsons was a great pick..he was no consolation prize every bit as good pick as any of the top Cbs i would have been equally happy with either of the top 3

horn
surtain
Parosns
it was a coin flip...
those trying to jump on the bandwagon after the fact what the filp ever to you all..nice try,

top 2 ,no ,top 10 yes, 12 a steal

ADD A 3RD, PRICELESS LOL
I do remember you were right there with me we both wanted the linebacker

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I will admit, I wanted Surtain and felt completely deflated when Denver snagged him. With that said, I am 1000% completely stoked with Parsons and wouldn't change Dallas selected them even if I had a DeLorean.