The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Will be released 9am EST on 7/12. I am sure there will be many comments, so here is the thread starter.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
This is a CYA attempt by the Trustees and a bad one at that. How can anyone write a report on this scandal without even attempting to interview several of the major people is beyond me.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State," Freeh wrote.

"The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized."

He went on to name four former school officials -- former President Graham Spanier, former Vice President Gary Schultz, former head coach Joe Paterno, and former athletic director Tim Curley.

LINK to full article

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
"Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State," Freeh wrote.

"The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized."

He went on to name four former school officials -- former President Graham Spanier, former Vice President Gary Schultz, former head coach Joe Paterno, and former athletic director Tim Curley.

LINK to full article
This article is very saddening and makes me angry that so many men in such a powerful position allowed and empowered a serial child molester to continue on for so long when they could have easily stopped this monster on his track 14 years ago.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
From the time this story broke, .. common sense told us that these guys had to know early on.

Now there is a paper trail, and we know for certain.

Hard to imagine anyone could ever turn their back on a child going through this sort of thing, .. no matter what was at stake.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
"Mr. Paterno said that “I didn’t know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was. So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”

"The evidence shows that these four men also knew about a 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky relating to suspected sexual misconduct with a young boy in a Penn State football locker room shower. Again, they showed no concern about that victim. The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno’s.
Multiple incidents, and he evidently did nothing. This looks really bad for him, and the university as a whole. I had hoped he would be proven to have had little or no knowledge of any of this, but the facts appear to show otherwise.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I know many PSU people and I told them in March 2011 when ESPN had a blurb about a Grand Jury investigating Sandusky. They think that PSU is this oasis that is not like any other place on earth, They treat JoePa as god, I say he is a powerful man with ego. He wanted the wins record, wanted 400 wins, etc. Things happen that they may not know of..then bam..this happens and we see PSU act like a corporation that is only interested in protecting their brand.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
"Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what (Mike) McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001."

Wow. If this report is generally accurate, they shouldn't just remove Paterno's statue, they should remove every notion of his existence from their campus. They'll live under the cloud of this for years.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Yep, and you know what's really sad about this? I'm sure this is going on more than we'll ever know.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
heh

fv8xh.jpg

They should be forced to change their logo to that as a fair warning to everyone.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
So now we, the public, know that they knew something as early as 1998.

Who knows, they may have known something or suspected something prior to that.

So it's 14 yrs later, ... by now, they probably thought they were going to get away with it.

Hard to understand what drives some men.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ZBTHorton;4617700 said:
Really hope they tear down that statue. Make a statement PSU.

They almost HAVE to retire the statue or forever wear a scarlet letter...

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4617759 said:
So now we, the public, know that they knew something as early as 1998.

Who knows, they may have known something or suspected something prior to that.

So it's 14 yrs later, ... by now, they probably thought they were going to get away with it.

Hard to understand what drives some men.

He (Sandusky) was being investigated by the missing and since pronounced dead DA back then, and the DA dropped the case. Joe had too much power and should have been fired years ago. People in central PA had heard rumors about Sandusky's molestations years ago around 2008. He was hired as a Volunteer football coach at a high school where he was given unfettered access to the kid who eventually caused the serious investigation. The Governor of the state had a case in 2008 (as attorney general) and failed to prosecute. The entire state and everyone with power failed. The university, high schools, statewide and local government all failed those children.