The playcalling is so much better right now

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Linehan has really got a hot hand right now calling plays. How many times this year have we just seen a guy wide open? Or just the right play call at the right time. Less sandlot and more actual scheme.

We have been missing almost all of our big money players and we are still scheming guys wide open. We never needed to have a perfect football team and something finally clicked with this coaching staff. When you call plays like we are you don't need a perfect roster and you can get guys like T. Will, Butler, and Whitehead in position to make plays.

I don't know if the Giants game was the last straw and someone got chewed out or what but we are finally taking advantage of 8 & 9 man front when presented against us.

Cole Beasley has become our 2014 Dez Bryant. The guy is unbelievable right now. He is wide open almost every play and he is killing it on those WR screens as well.

Ezekiel Elliot looks like the superstar we drafted him to be. 703 yards through 6 games.. Unbelievable. He should easily top Demarco's 1600 yards.

Dak looks great.. I would still go back to Romo but if they stick with Dak i'm 100% ok with it. I just hope we don't lose all of the sideways football that we are playing that is setting everything up. The bootlegs, screens, and all of that I hope we still find a way to do with Romo.

Everything is rolling right now. The Cowboys run game is our Cam Newton/Tom Brady/Denver Defense. We have a question right now that nobody really has an answer for. We are a legit contender.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Linehan has really got a hot hand right now calling plays. How many times this year have we just seen a guy wide open? Or just the right play call at the right time. Less sandlot and more actual scheme.

We have been missing almost all of our big money players and we are still scheming guys wide open. We never needed to have a perfect football team and something finally clicked with this coaching staff.

I don't know if the Giants game was the last straw and someone got chewed out or what but we are finally taking advantage of 8 & 9 man front when presented against us.

Cole Beasley has become our 2014 Dez Bryant. The guy is unbelievable right now. He is wide open almost every play and he is killing it on those WR screens as well.

Ezekiel Elliot looks like the superstar we drafted him to be. 703 yards through 6 games.. Unbelievable. He should easily top Demarco's 1600 yards.

Dak looks great.. I would still go back to Romo but if they stick with Dak i'm 100% ok with it. I just hope we don't lose all of the sideways football that we are playing that is setting everything up. The bootlegs, screens, and all of that I hope we still find a way to do with Romo.

Everything is rolling right now. The Cowboys run game is our Cam Newton/Tom Brady/Denver Defense. We have a question right now that nobody really has an answer for. We are a legit contender.
I think last year forced them to reassess things.
Having a guy execute it only makes it easier

And yes, like Nick just mentioned, having an intimidating run game turns the tide in a big way.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think last year forced them to reassess things.
Having a guy execute it only makes it easier

The execution of these plays have been there for the taking for 3 years. I think the Giants game was the last straw for someone and when our run game + Dez got shot down someone got chewed out for it.

We aren't just mindlessly crashing into 8 & 9 man fronts over and over. We still do it but we also do things to take advantage of it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you can basically run anytime you want playcalling is so easy. It was in 2014 too. You still need QB play to be good for it to work.

DeMarco had 1845. Currently Elliott is on pace for a little under that.

Actually Elliott's on pace for a little more than that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Playcalling in first half was below average, 2nd half was on point. If Logan is out when we play the eagles we are going to run all over them

Maybe I should've said play designs. When Dak booted out to the right and fumbled, we recovered, I was upset that we weren't running the ball.

Zeke was hot and for some reason we decided to get kind of pass happy.

It worked out though.

GB had their opportunities in that game but our defense deserves a ton of credit.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When you can basically run anytime you want playcalling is so easy. It was in 2014 too. You still need QB play to be good for it to work.

DeMarco had 1845. Currently Elliott is on pace for a little under that.

Agree but the plays we are running are taking advantage of the defensive fronts. Some of these throws anyone could make. Guys are wide open.

2014 we still didn't take advantage of defenses to the extent that we are right now. We were still using the 1990 ego playbook.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Agree but the plays we are running are taking advantage of the defensive fronts. Some of these throws anyone could make. Guys are wide open.

2014 we still didn't take advantage of defenses to the extent that we are right now. We were still using the 1990 ego playbook.
Last year kinda proved not just anyone can make these plays. Our QB play was so bad.

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tony Romo will not be getting his job back in the near future. Things will have to fall apart first.

That's going to be so interesting to see what they do.

I can't see them letting all that money sit on the sideline.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Last year kinda proved not just anyone can make these plays. Our QB play was so bad.

And we just mindlessly crashed into fronts over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Our play not to lose style is dead.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The execution of these plays have been there for the taking for 3 years. I think the Giants game was the last straw for someone and when our run game + Dez got shot down someone got chewed out for it.

We aren't just mindlessly crashing into 8 & 9 man fronts over and over. We still do it but we also do things to take advantage of it.

Agreed, our strategy in the past was to impose our will on opposing defenses, regrettably, we wasted a lot of good scoring opportunities. Yesterday, we were not as predictable.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

We have been missing almost all of our big money players and we are still scheming guys wide open. We never needed to have a perfect football team and something finally clicked with this coaching staff. When you call plays like we are you don't need a perfect roster and you can get guys like T. Will, Butler, and Whitehead in position to make plays.

Yep.............Its night and day. COACHING MATTERS!!!

Linehan is in full control of this offense. Its his offense now. Even Dak talks about how great linehan has been. Never a whisper about Garrett or even any mention of him. This looks nothing like the predictable and boring, take what the defense gives you, Garrett horror show.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
That's my fear. As good as Romo is im afraid we will be missing some of the plays that have been so successful.
The coaching has been much improved and the defense is being caught off guard consistently.

Really want to see Tony get a ring , but have to admit that Dak has that escape spin down like Tony does but is 10 times the running threat keeping D's honest. He also, despite some pundits claims, is very accurate with the ball

NickZepp

Reaction score
And we just mindlessly crashed into fronts over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Our play not to lose style is dead.
If Dak Prescott were playing like Matt Cassell or Brandon Weeden last year we would probably be closer to 1-5 at best right now. We would be playing not to lose like last year.