The playcalling is so much better right now

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The 3rd and 1 play action pass to Whitehead was a thing of beauty. It was all set up perfectly for that play to work at that critical moment and I applaud Linehan for his work this year.
Night and day from last year.

That's all about confidence in the QB, which no one had when Weeden or Cassel were under center.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That is the confusing part. Only when things are going good is it Linehan offense but when things are not going good is it Garrett offense. There seems to be a lack of consistency on the fans or critics part

Well, it's actually a combination. Garrett established the system, but wasn't a good play-caller while also handling the head coaching duties. (Go back and look at Garrett's play-calling right after Wade Phillips became coach, though, and Garrett was doing a good job.) It almost seemed that Garrett's fallback because he had so much to focus on was to forget about the run and rely on the pass.

Linehan is able to just focus on being an offensive coordinator and consider all the plays in his arsenal. He doesn't have to focus on the clock or challenges or what the defense is doing, so that allows him to look at what's working and adjust his play-calling accordingly. Garrett can take care of coaching the team while Linehan just has to focus on calling the offense.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Our play not to lose style is dead.

gawd I hope so

Man, I'd love to know what happened behind the scenes this off season or whenever because the mentality you mentioned that drives me nuts seems to have suddenly disappeared, its astonishing.

I don't recall them being this aggressive even when Romo is healthy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, it's actually a combination. Garrett established the system, but wasn't a good play-caller while also handling the head coaching duties. (Go back and look at Garrett's play-calling right after Wade Phillips became coach, though, and Garrett was doing a good job.) It almost seemed that Garrett's fallback because he had so much to focus on was to forget about the run and rely on the pass.

Linehan is able to just focus on being an offensive coordinator and consider all the plays in his arsenal. He doesn't have to focus on the clock or challenges or what the defense is doing, so that allows him to look at what's working and adjust his play-calling accordingly. Garrett can take care of coaching the team while Linehan just has to focus on calling the offense.

He has not been calling plays for a while. 2014 no one gave him credit it was all Linehan in 2015 it was Garrett offense and every clown jumped on him. Now 2016 it is once again Linehan offense. I'm sorry but that is BS. I have no issue casting blame for 2015 on Garrett he is the HC and he has say in what they do on offense, Linehan himself has said the work Jason does through out the week in helping put a game plan together is big. I know for some any credit to Garrett is like taking bad tasting medicine but if you want to blame him for poor offensive play then by the same token he deserves some credit for offense when things are working.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The only sequence I take issue with was up 17-6-- 1st and goal-- we ran two straight read options to Zeke and then failed on 3rd down with a bad call... slant to Butler I saw a mile away. We stacked 3 receivers to the left leaving Butler 1 on 1. If I could see the play design, I'm sure the DB could as well. Maybe a wrinkle could have worked like having Butler run an in and out move? Plus our best route runner Beas.. wasn't even in the game on that play? A little too conservative but we quickly made amends going play action on first down later in the game to Beas... down inside the 10.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but it appears they are more willing to bust tendencies this season more than others.
This. No more predicable off tackle run on the first play from scrimmage. They are definitely mixing it up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He has not been calling plays for a while. 2014 no one gave him credit it was all Linehan in 2015 it was Garrett offense and every clown jumped on him. Now 2016 it is once again Linehan offense. I'm sorry but that is BS. I have no issue casting blame for 2015 on Garrett he is the HC and he has say in what they do on offense, Linehan himself has said the work Jason does through out the week in helping put a game plan together is big. I know for some any credit to Garrett is like taking bad tasting medicine but if you want to blame him for poor offensive play then by the same token he deserves some credit for offense when things are working.

I don't remember everyone blaming Garrett for the bad play-calling in 2015, although I know there were some. For that matter, there's some on here who blame Jerry Jones for it. I try not to pay attention to those fans because they clearly can't see straight.

There were multiple reasons why we were not good on offense last year. Most of them had to do with not having a decent QB after Romo got hurt, which made the OC's job more difficult. I didn't feel Linehan did a good job adjusting last year to that situation, but it was a hard situation to adjust to. It's like trying to make a Geo Metro run like a Ford Mustang. You can punch the gas pedal all you want, but they just aren't built the same.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't remember everyone blaming Garrett for the bad play-calling in 2015, although I know there were some. For that matter, there's some on here who blame Jerry Jones for it. I try not to pay attention to those fans because they clearly can't see straight.

There were multiple reasons why we were not good on offense last year. Most of them had to do with not having a decent QB after Romo got hurt, which made the OC's job more difficult. I didn't feel Linehan did a good job adjusting last year to that situation, but it was a hard situation to adjust to. It's like trying to make a Geo Metro run like a Ford Mustang. You can punch the gas pedal all you want, but they just aren't built the same.

Then you have a bad memory. I would rather not name, names but Garrett came under fire from several. I do agree losing Romo and not having a good backup hurt. Defense not getting turnovers last season hurt. Still does not change the fact that it was Garrett catching blame for his offense last season and now once again as it was in 2014 it is Linehan offense.

BigD16

Reaction score
I loooooved the plays they called for lucky whitehead. They worked to perfection.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you have a bad memory. I would rather not name, names but Garrett came under fire from several. I do agree losing Romo and not having a good backup hurt. Defense not getting turnovers last season hurt. Still does not change the fact that it was Garrett catching blame for his offense last season and now once again as it was in 2014 it is Linehan offense.

That's just the way it's going to be when the sea changes. Nobody's going to come right out and suggest the problem wasn't what consensus thought it was all along. So, Jerry chewed somebody out, or something changed in the coaching room, or Jason woke from a bang on the head and realized it was 2014 all over again. It's no mystery: playcalling gets better when your players execute consistently, and we're doing a great job with execution right now. The OL is playing great football, the rookie RB knows his responsibilities both with and without the ball, the QB is diagnosing and delivering the ball incredibly quickly, and the secondary is playing lights-out.

You almost got a chance to see what a lack of execution can do to a game yesterday after Butler's big drop. If GB puts the ball in the end zone after that drive, the game is back on at that point and the coaches are making questionable decisions again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hey im fair.

I have not been a fan of this coaching staff but I will give credit where credit is due and they deserve it right now.

Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli, they are all doing a wonderful job.

Hey im fair.

I have not been a fan of this coaching staff but I will give credit where credit is due and they deserve it right now.

Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli, they are all doing a wonderful job.

I think its pretty obvious that the less Garrett handles when it comes to football stuff, the better this team gets. Garrett is where he should be. Clapping and cheering on the sidelines and smacking helmets while the linehan handles the game plans and the play calling.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not so quietly. :)

And what it is that you are smiling about? IF anything this proves even more convincingly that less Garrett is better for this team. Linehan is looking like a complete genius when compared to Garrett as an offensive football mind.

I dont see you whining about how Romo would be 6-0 today.

If you want to give Garrett credit for wanting to hire Linehan by all means bravo. If you want to give credit for Garrett completely stepping totally out of the way with the offense, by all means bravo.

But regardless, none of this puts any credence to your claim that Garrett is some hall of fame coach in the making. If anything, it proves the opposite. Garrett doenst hold a candle to even Linehan.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep, been waiting for this being Linehans offense and Garrett just being a clapper

It is par for course around here. lol Again no problem for any heat Garrett has taken, he is the HC. You lose it is on you but here with some people they would rather cut off their own nose before they would give him any credit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's just the way it's going to be when the sea changes. Nobody's going to come right out and suggest the problem wasn't what consensus thought it was all along. So, Jerry chewed somebody out, or something changed in the coaching room, or Jason woke from a bang on the head and realized it was 2014 all over again. It's no mystery: playcalling gets better when your players execute consistently, and we're doing a great job with execution right now. The OL is playing great football, the rookie RB knows his responsibilities both with and without the ball, the QB is diagnosing and delivering the ball incredibly quickly, and the secondary is playing lights-out.

You almost got a chance to see what a lack of execution can do to a game yesterday after Butler's big drop. If GB puts the ball in the end zone after that drive, the game is back on at that point and the coaches are making questionable decisions again.

Execution helps no doubt. But if you cant see the difference in Linehan running the play calling and Garrett, then............................................

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Execution helps no doubt. But if you cant see the difference in Linehan running the play calling and Garrett, then............................................

Linehan called the offense last season as well yet it was Garrett and his offense that many moan and hollered about. Now the offense once again as they did in 2014 are playing very good ball so now it is Linehan offense. So a rational person is to think 2014 (Linehan) 2015 Garrett and 2016 (Linehan) come on

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It is par for course around here. lol Again no problem for any heat Garrett has taken, he is the HC. You lose it is on you but here with some people they would rather cut off their own nose before they would give him any credit.

IF Garrett got sick and needed surgery and was out for 2 months, would anyone even notice? Would this team miss a beat? Someone else could talk to the media and Dez is doing a great job clapping on the sidelines.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
IF Garrett got sick and needed surgery and was out for 2 months, would anyone even notice? Would this team miss a beat? Someone else could talk to the media and Dez is doing a great job clapping on the sidelines.

Players would. Linehan has talked of the work he and Garrett put in through out the week in getting ready for a game. HC has say in what they want to do and how he wants to approach different situations within the game. Now for those who feel Garrett does nothing fine then at least be consistent don't blame Garrett for poor play by the offense last season when evidently he had nothing to with it according to you. Playing both sides just looks foolish to credit Linehan when things are going good and blaming Garrett when they are not going well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Linehan called the offense last season as well yet it was Garrett and his offense that many moan and hollered about. Now the offense once again as they did in 2014 are playing very good ball so now it is Linehan offense. So a rational person is to think 2014 (Linehan) 2015 Garrett and 2016 (Linehan) come on

Great great point. But you have to look at the offense this year. Its completely different. Its quite clear that linehan is now in full control in his 3rd year. And who was it that thought that our backup QB last year was good enough? That was Garrett and Jerry.

And when you listen to guys like Dak and Zeke speak about the play calling its always linehan. Game plans..........linehan.

Do you see ANYTHING left of Garretts offense? I dont.

Its quite clear that at this point, Lihehan has full control now.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It's amazing what real play makers do for a team. From coaches to game plans to play calling to execution.

it even makes the freakin GM look good. Without a face lift.