The playcalling is so much better right now

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
More than anything, it is simply the execution. We aren't having multiple busts on every play. Guys are doing their assignments and everyone looks better. Linnehan's playcalling has been inspired at times...there were a few weird series though. What I am liking is that he is not just giving in and playing everything by the book. The plays to Lucky were just flat out great calls. Seems like we are adding a new wrinkle every week as well. A lack of dumb penalties has been a big deal as well....we are not shooting ourselves in the foot generally speaking.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

It's a noticeable difference.

People on this forum have made excuse after excuse for injuries or execution.

Well we are extremely banged up right now and it doesn't matter. It's like New England.. Our 3rd and 4th string players are getting wide open in space because of some of the play designs we are using that are FINALLY taking advantage of crowded boxes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Dak Prescott were playing like Matt Cassell or Brandon Weeden last year we would probably be closer to 1-5 at best right now. We would be playing not to lose like last year.

Matt Cassell and Brandon Weeden played in an offense that tipped it's hand to the defense over and over and over and over and over. Predictable.. Bland... Play not to lose football.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
On Mike and Mike just now, a guest they had (forgot who his name was, some analysist) said that with Romo out, the coaching staff is now having to actually coach -- as Romo did his own thing, and the coaching staff could sit back -- That Dak even makes the staff better. :D Not just his players. This is so true, Dak is transcendent across our team, improving everybody, whether directly, or by osmosis, players and coaches, alike.

In the GDT thread yesterday, I thought the game balls should have gone to Linehan and Marinelli (one poster scoffed).

Great OP, @CATCH17. Credit where it is due, brother.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The OL mashing, Elliot's versatility and excellence as a runner, Dak's mobility and arm gives Linehan soooo many options.

Whitehead getting involved is another wrinkle defenses have to consider now.

Pretty crazy how the offense is flowing without Dez.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
On Mike and Mike just now, a guest they had (forgot who his name was, some analysist) said that with Romo out, the coaching staff is now having to actually coach -- as Romo did his own thing, and the coaching staff could sit back -- That Dak even makes the staff better. :D Not just his players. This is so true, Dak is transcendent across our team, improving everybody, whether directly, or by osmosis, players and coaches, alike.

In the GDT thread yesterday, I thought the game balls should have gone to Linehan and Marinelli (one poster scoffed).

Great OP, @CATCH17. Credit where it is due, brother.

Hey im fair.

I have not been a fan of this coaching staff but I will give credit where credit is due and they deserve it right now.

Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli, they are all doing a wonderful job.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Hey im fair.

I have not been a fan of this coaching staff but I will give credit where credit is due and they deserve it right now.

Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli, they are all doing a wonderful job.

Same boat, dude. Wasn't a fan of any of em, but boy do they get credit. A whole hell of a lot. Somewhere @Idgit is smiling quietly :)

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Highly pleased with the play calling and team chemistry. I would like a little more Morris, so not to burn out Elliot. Also, keep Dak in. I had this as an 8-8 team and it is a very pleasant surprise.

superonyx

Reaction score
The front office deserves credit also. Yes old Jerry made the right call on Zeke. He realized that having a back as dangerous as Zeke added more to the team than the possible upgrade (or side grade) Jalen Ramsey would provide over Carr or Mo.

There is a reason we almost brought Murray back and drafted Zeke. While anyone can run decent behind this line, not anyone can punish a defense and force scheme accountability like Zeke has done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Linehan has really got a hot hand right now calling plays. How many times this year have we just seen a guy wide open? Or just the right play call at the right time. Less sandlot and more actual scheme.

We have been missing almost all of our big money players and we are still scheming guys wide open. We never needed to have a perfect football team and something finally clicked with this coaching staff. When you call plays like we are you don't need a perfect roster and you can get guys like T. Will, Butler, and Whitehead in position to make plays.

I don't know if the Giants game was the last straw and someone got chewed out or what but we are finally taking advantage of 8 & 9 man front when presented against us.

Cole Beasley has become our 2014 Dez Bryant. The guy is unbelievable right now. He is wide open almost every play and he is killing it on those WR screens as well.

Ezekiel Elliot looks like the superstar we drafted him to be. 703 yards through 6 games.. Unbelievable. He should easily top Demarco's 1600 yards.

Dak looks great.. I would still go back to Romo but if they stick with Dak i'm 100% ok with it. I just hope we don't lose all of the sideways football that we are playing that is setting everything up. The bootlegs, screens, and all of that I hope we still find a way to do with Romo.

Everything is rolling right now. The Cowboys run game is our Cam Newton/Tom Brady/Denver Defense. We have a question right now that nobody really has an answer for. We are a legit contender.

I somehow knew this would be Linehan offense now as it was in 2014 but not 2015 that Was Garrett offense. LOL

DenCWBY

Reaction score
The 3rd and 1 play action pass to Whitehead was a thing of beauty. It was all set up perfectly for that play to work at that critical moment and I applaud Linehan for his work this year.
Night and day from last year.

JBS

Reaction score
Great thread...I was going to post a similar thread...

What's going unnoticed is that Linehan is going for the jugular late in games..he's not playing it conservatively ..he's not calling plays not to lose the game

mahoneybill

Reaction score
The OL mashing, Elliot's versatility and excellence as a runner, Dak's mobility and arm gives Linehan soooo many options.

Whitehead getting involved is another wrinkle defenses have to consider now.

Pretty crazy how the offense is flowing without Dez.

His absence has brought out the best in Beasley/Butler/Williams. They all have shown improvements. Really liked the way Butler controlled his feet on the end zone TD...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's amazing how much better coaching and play calling look with good players and solid execution.

Dak + Zeke >>>> anything we trotted out there last year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When you can basically run anytime you want playcalling is so easy. It was in 2014 too. You still need QB play to be good for it to work.

DeMarco had 1845. Currently Elliott is on pace for a little under that.

Running definitely makes the play-calling easier, but I've been impressed with some of the creativity. Take near the end of the half. We're backed up near our goal line with two minutes left and it looks like we're going to pit our running game against Green Bay's front to try to run the clock out and not give the ball back to the Packers. After two runs get us near a first down, we pop a quick jet sweep to Whitehead and it breaks to the 40-yard line, giving us a chance to go for points at the end of the half.

The conservative call would have been to just hand it off again. The Garrett call, if Romo were in, would have been to put it on him to pass for a first down. The call Linehan was great and clearly unexpected. We've seen a lot of those this year both because the running game sets them up and because Linehan doesn't just choose to play it safe.

Of course, like you said, this isn't really new. If anybody looks back at 2014 when we were running the ball this well, Linehan also was making great calls.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The 3rd and 1 play action pass to Whitehead was a thing of beauty. It was all set up perfectly for that play to work at that critical moment and I applaud Linehan for his work this year.
Night and day from last year.

I could be wrong, but it appears they are more willing to bust tendencies this season more than others.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Linehan has really got a hot hand right now calling plays. How many times this year have we just seen a guy wide open? Or just the right play call at the right time. Less sandlot and more actual scheme.

We have been missing almost all of our big money players and we are still scheming guys wide open. We never needed to have a perfect football team and something finally clicked with this coaching staff. When you call plays like we are you don't need a perfect roster and you can get guys like T. Will, Butler, and Whitehead in position to make plays.

I don't know if the Giants game was the last straw and someone got chewed out or what but we are finally taking advantage of 8 & 9 man front when presented against us.

Cole Beasley has become our 2014 Dez Bryant. The guy is unbelievable right now. He is wide open almost every play and he is killing it on those WR screens as well.

Ezekiel Elliot looks like the superstar we drafted him to be. 703 yards through 6 games.. Unbelievable. He should easily top Demarco's 1600 yards.

Dak looks great.. I would still go back to Romo but if they stick with Dak i'm 100% ok with it. I just hope we don't lose all of the sideways football that we are playing that is setting everything up. The bootlegs, screens, and all of that I hope we still find a way to do with Romo.

Everything is rolling right now. The Cowboys run game is our Cam Newton/Tom Brady/Denver Defense. We have a question right now that nobody really has an answer for. We are a legit contender.

Is it much better or is the running game so good right now that the defense is selling out against the run only to get burned by the pass. That is the most likely situation. WRs don't run free when in man coverage unless someone falls down.

This 42 yards per-game defense got it's *** handed to them by our running game my multiplying their average rushing by 4.5. When that happens, you go all-in to stop the running game. When that happens, you get WRs running free like we saw several times last night.

Without this running game, Dak would not look quite as good as he does right now. That's not a slight to him. He is doing exactly what he should be doing. Many teams sellout again the run and dare the QB to beat them. Dak is beating them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Running definitely makes the play-calling easier, but I've been impressed with some of the creativity. Take near the end of the half. We're backed up near our goal line with two minutes left and it looks like we're going to pit our running game against Green Bay's front to try to run the clock out and not give the ball back to the Packers. After two runs get us near a first down, we pop a quick jet sweep to Whitehead and it breaks to the 40-yard line, giving us a chance to go for points at the end of the half.

The conservative call would have been to just hand it off again. The Garrett call, if Romo were in, would have been to put it on him to pass for a first down. The call Linehan was great and clearly unexpected. We've seen a lot of those this year both because the running game sets them up and because Linehan doesn't just choose to play it safe.

Of course, like you said, this isn't really new. If anybody looks back at 2014 when we were running the ball this well, Linehan also was making great calls.

That is the confusing part. Only when things are going good is it Linehan offense but when things are not going good is it Garrett offense. There seems to be a lack of consistency on the fans or critics part