The Prescott/Purdy statistical conundrum

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was looking at the passer ratings and overall stats and tried to make sense of why Purdy's rating is 5 points higher than Dak's. They have essentially the same completion percentage but Dak has a higher TD percentage (6.3 to 6.2) a much lower INT percentage (1.5 to 2.0) and more yards. The only number were Purdy is significantly better is yards per attempt.. His in 9.4 to 7.9 for Dak. Does the formula really weigh yards per attempt that heavily? Because pretty much every other metric I look at Dak is having a superior season. Oh and watching him refuse to let his team lose last night even with the defense failing to show up until the 4th quarter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was looking at the passer ratings and overall stats and tried to make sense of why Purdy's rating is 5 points higher than Dak's. They have essentially the same completion percentage but Dak has a higher TD percentage (6.3 to 6.2) a much lower INT percentage (1.5 to 2.0) and more yards. The only number were Purdy is significantly better is yards per attempt.. His in 9.4 to 7.9 for Dak. Does the formula really weigh yards per attempt that heavily? Because pretty much every other metric I look at Dak is having a superior season. Oh and watching him refuse to let his team lose last night even with the defense failing to show up until the 4th quarter.
YPA is a big factor in QB rating. Its weighed heavily as a mark of efficiency, and 9.4 is exceptional.

Traditional QBR isnt so much a measuring stick of how good a QB is, but of how efficient they are statistically. Whereas the new QBR weigh's situational factors

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still don’t think we have the right coaching for a championship. You cannot make mistakes and think you’re going to win in this league. We should’ve beaten Philadelphia. I put that on coaching.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still don’t think we have the right coaching for a championship. You cannot make mistakes and think you’re going to win in this league. We should’ve beaten Philadelphia. I put that on coaching.
Well, to be fair, it was not the coaches fault for the TE to not get six more inches to get the TD and it was not the coaches fault Dak stepped out of bounds, so there is that. The Cowboy will beat them this next game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
SF does a really good job at YAC with their offensive attack.
Yeah if you look at the air yards per attempt and then the yards after the catch most of the credit for Purdy's higher yards per attempt belong to the receivers. Their yards after catch is 6.2 to 4.7 for the Cowboys.. So basically the entire yards per attempt differential is YAC. And given that Dak has added a full 2 yards per attempt to his average over the last 6 games something drastic is going to happen for him not to close that gap even further.

Reactions: G2

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The 49ers break tackles, the Cowboys don't.

There's your difference.

blueblood70

Reaction score
let me know the last time san francisco actually won a super bowl? how about this Philadelphia eagles team, did they win the super bowl? has Buffalo ever won a super bowl, when's the last time they went...Washington many others like 18 teams since 1996 haven't won one and some not been to one some teams not ever won one.. seems like it's hard to win a super bowl...

i realize san Francisco's been to a few but been longer without winning a super bowl than we have, and their current team has Not made the SB . reminder: its a week to week and year to year league.. what's happened in the past does not dictate the future. why don't we list all the head coaches eligible for the playoffs this year, who have won a super bowl, list them all...we can keep it inthe NFC to make it easier ,

Mike Mcarthy
pete Caroll- we just beat him..

that's the only ones i can come up with so ,we have a shot.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah if you look at the air yards per attempt and then the yards after the catch most of the credit for Purdy's higher yards per attempt belong to the receivers. Their yards after catch is 6.2 to 4.7 for the Cowboys.. So basically the entire yards per attempt differential is YAC. And given that Dak has added a full 2 yards per attempt to his average over the last 6 games something drastic is going to happen for him not to close that gap even further.
Yep, lots of short and intermediate dump offs. Lots of motion and their WRs/RBs are interchangeable.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
let me know the last time san francisco actually won a super bowl? how about this Philadelphia eagles team, did they win the super bowl? has Buffalo ever won a super bowl, when's the last time they went...Washington many others like 18 teams since 1996 haven't won one and some not been to one some teams not ever won one.. seems like it's hard to win a super bowl...

i realize san Francisco's been to a few but been longer without winning a super bowl than we have, and their current team has Not made the SB . reminder: its a week to week and year to year league.. what's happened in the past does not dictate the future. why don't we list all the head coaches eligible for the playoffs this year, who have won a super bowl, list them all...we can keep it inthe NFC to make it easier ,

Mike Mcarthy
pete Caroll- we just beat him..

that's the only ones i can come up with so ,we have a shot.
There’s always a shot my cowboy brother. Sometimes it’s better than others.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
YPA is a big factor in QB rating. Its weighed heavily as a mark of efficiency, and 9.4 is exceptional.

Traditional QBR isnt so much a measuring stick of how good a QB is, but of how efficient they are statistically. Whereas the new QBR weigh's situational factors

I believe total QBR also places value on rushing TDs for QBs, which I don’t when it comes evaluating QB play.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not consistently, and certainly not compared to Deebo and Kittle.

The biggest difference is probably in the RBs, and a lot of that is in the scheme.
CD is tied for 5th in the league among WRs in broken tackles with 7 on the year. Ferguson has 3.. which may not be much.. but Kittle only has 2.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
as much as we are on tony pollard's butt he breaks plenty of tackles...
Yeah he is a beast when we get him in space. If we just continue doing that he will be fine. We saw again last night he's not dragging multiple defenders into the end zone from down close but he has a knack for spitting the defenders and wriggling through when he has room to work his magic.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah he is a beast when we get him in space. If we just continue doing that he will be fine. We saw again last night he's not dragging multiple defenders into the end zone from down close but he has a knack for spitting the defenders and wriggling through when he has room to work his magic.
Look we have to stop making TP a player type who can create his own holes with no head of steam and push a pile , but in the open filed if he gets any momentum he can break tackles we saw him truck dudes last week in Washington for a td and a few runs yesterday, that is in fact breaking tackles... so he's not the best short yardage guy but it doesn't mean he doesn't break tackles..