The Prescott/Purdy statistical conundrum

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Why would you not? Scoring TDs for your team is a good thing. I would also point out that the two guys with the highest QBR this year neither has more than 1 or 2 rushing TD if I'm mistaken? Meanwhile Hurts, Allen and Jackson have 3-4 times that and are ranked below them. So whatever they're measuring doesn't place THAT much emphasis on rushing TDs.

Because when I’m evaluating a QB I’m most interested in how he performs as a passer. Yes, of course rushing TDs are valuable but they unimportant when trying to evaluate a QBs effectiveness throwing the ball.

It’s no different than evaluating a hitter in baseball and then attributing added value for stolen bases. Yes, stolen bases are nice, but I’m more interested in the actual hitting metrics.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Because when I’m evaluating a QB I’m most interested in how he performs as a passer. Yes, of course rushing TDs are valuable but they unimportant when trying to evaluate a QBs effectiveness throwing the ball.

It’s no different than evaluating a hitter in baseball and then attributing added value for stolen bases. Yes, stolen bases are nice, but I’m more interested in the actual hitting metrics.
I'm not.. At least not when it comes to pure passing statistics. Kirk Cousins has been gaming the passer ratings system for years because he will take a sack or throw the ball into the ground rather than make anything remotely resembling a risky throw. Simply put there is more to playing the QB position than just throwing the ball. Montana and Young used to pile up video game passer ratings throwing dink and dunk passes to Rice and Taylor and letting those guys run 50 yards. That's not to say those guys weren't great passers as they absolutely were.. However their ratings numbers were inflated on the backs (legs) of other players. But that's the league we're in now.

But look at this.. The 49ers have dropped 6 passes all season to the Cowboys 22 yet Purdy has been adjudged to have thrown 17.1% bad throws to 11% for Dak. Purdy's air yards per attempt is 8.1. Dak's 8.0. Meaning they're throwing about the same distance in the air per attempt. Dare I say if you just cut the drops in half Dak is leading the NFL in passer rating and not Purdy. Simply put, Purdy is getting way more help. He gets less than 1/3 as many drops and a yard and a half more in YAC per completion. That's why you gotta watch the games to know what you're talking about. Purdy is not playing better than Dak.. his receivers are playing better than Dak's receivers.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak's good-Purdy is good. The difference??? Head to head? Purdy has to face a weaker defense than Dak does. Simple....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm not.. At least not when it comes to pure passing statistics. Kirk Cousins has been gaming the passer ratings system for years because he will take a sack or throw the ball into the ground rather than make anything remotely resembling a risky throw. Simply put there is more to playing the QB position than just throwing the ball. Montana and Young used to pile up video game passer ratings throwing dink and dunk passes to Rice and Taylor and letting those guys run 50 yards. That's not to say those guys weren't great passers as they absolutely were.. However their ratings numbers were inflated on the backs (legs) of other players. But that's the league we're in now.

But look at this.. The 49ers have dropped 6 passes all season to the Cowboys 22 yet Purdy has been adjudged to have thrown 17.1% bad throws to 11% for Dak. Purdy's air yards per attempt is 8.1. Dak's 8.0. Meaning they're throwing about the same distance in the air per attempt. Dare I say if you just cut the drops in half Dak is leading the NFL in passer rating and not Purdy. Simply put, Purdy is getting way more help. He gets less than 1/3 as many drops and a yard and a half more in YAC per completion. That's why you gotta watch the games to know what you're talking about. Purdy is not playing better than Dak.. his receivers are playing better than Dak's receivers.

My gosh dude…what can’t you compute?

No metric is foolproof or accounts for all scenarios, gamesmanship, or outliers.

I’m saying when I evaluate a passer I’m looking at all available passing data/metrics to try and form the best picture I can. QB rushing TDs is not part of the analysis for me.

Flamma

Reaction score
I still don’t think we have the right coaching for a championship. You cannot make mistakes and think you’re going to win in this league. We should’ve beaten Philadelphia. I put that on coaching.
Our coaching staff made 3 or 4 of them last night. Two of them were bad.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You mean first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win? Off the top of my head, Dick Vermeil and Andy Reid took two different teams to the Super Bowl. If MM gets to the Super Bowl and wins he will be the first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win. But he is not the first to take two teams to the Super Bowl.
Thank you for getting that straight for me. it’s what I meant to say, but didn’t explain it right.