The Prescott/Purdy statistical conundrum

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was looking at the passer ratings and overall stats and tried to make sense of why Purdy's rating is 5 points higher than Dak's. They have essentially the same completion percentage but Dak has a higher TD percentage (6.3 to 6.2) a much lower INT percentage (1.5 to 2.0) and more yards. The only number were Purdy is significantly better is yards per attempt.. His in 9.4 to 7.9 for Dak. Does the formula really weigh yards per attempt that heavily? Because pretty much every other metric I look at Dak is having a superior season. Oh and watching him refuse to let his team lose last night even with the defense failing to show up until the 4th quarter.
I think earlier in the year, with the dink and dunk offense, the yards per pass suffered a lot. since the bye, the yards per attempt have increased significantly. I think those numbers are going to close even more, but can't take away the effect of first 6 games.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If we win the championship, are you against McCarthy going to the Hall of Fame?
First coach ever to take two teams to a Super Bowl. No, he deserves it if he does that.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Stats are nice to review and debate, but the best measuring stick for how a QB is performing is My Eye Test. :) When trying to compare 2 QBs, it becomes hard because of the different coaching philosophies, players, and play designs.

So, by my eyes, right now, give me Dak over Purdy, as purely a QB measurement.

Comparing the teams, including the coaching staffs, San Fran has the edge (mostly because they stomped the Cowboys when they played them this season, and the Cowboys have lost 3 in a row to their NFC nemesis).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
First coach ever to take two teams to a Super Bowl. No, he deserves it if he does that.
Um Parcells took two teams to the Super Bowl and wasn't Shula the head coach of the Colts team that lost to the Chiefs back in '69 and then obviously the Dolphins?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Um Parcells took two teams to the Super Bowl and wasn't Shula the head coach of the Colts team that lost to the Chiefs back in '69 and then obviously the Dolphins?
I don’t think any coach in history has won two Super Bowls with a different team.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought I said, and win, but Google didn’t print it

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don’t think any coach in history has won two Super Bowls with a different team.
No no head coach has won the Super Bowl with two teams yet. But several guys have taken two teams.. Bill Parcells, Don Shula, Andy Reid, Dan Reeves. Those are the ones that come to mind. Has there been others?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I rely on speaking text for some reason Google didn’t put and win it
Yeah to your point if McCarthy manages to get the Cowboys that 6th Super Bowl title there is no question he will be in the Hall of Fame.

lk8701

Reaction score
I was looking at the passer ratings and overall stats and tried to make sense of why Purdy's rating is 5 points higher than Dak's. They have essentially the same completion percentage but Dak has a higher TD percentage (6.3 to 6.2) a much lower INT percentage (1.5 to 2.0) and more yards. The only number were Purdy is significantly better is yards per attempt.. His in 9.4 to 7.9 for Dak. Does the formula really weigh yards per attempt that heavily? Because pretty much every other metric I look at Dak is having a superior season. Oh and watching him refuse to let his team lose last night even with the defense failing to show up until the 4th quarter.
Dak is better because Lamb is his only blue chip weapon. Purdy has CMC, Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak is better because Lamb is his only blue chip weapon. Purdy has CMC, Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk.
While I tend to agree SF has superior overall weapons I am starting to see Ferguson as a blue chip tight end man. The way he punked Jamal Adams was epic! He's not as flashy as Kittle but I think he has the same number of TDs and a similar number of catches for a similar amount of yards. But yeah, Dak is being asked to do MUCH more to steer his team to wins..

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
You mean first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win? Off the top of my head, Dick Vermeil and Andy Reid took two different teams to the Super Bowl. If MM gets to the Super Bowl and wins he will be the first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win. But he is not the first to take two teams to the Super Bowl.

1942willys

Reaction score
Long time lurker here.
My 34 cents (inflation) is that stats really are not the telling feature. It is who makes more plays when its down and dirty.

DFWJC

Reaction score
YPA is a big factor in QB rating. Its weighed heavily as a mark of efficiency, and 9.4 is exceptional.

Traditional QBR isnt so much a measuring stick of how good a QB is, but of how efficient they are statistically. Whereas the new QBR weigh's situational factors
You can use traditional QB rating (rank) if you combine it with TOTAL TD-TOTAL TURNOVER ranking.

This takes out bus driver factor (impossible to have a +25 differential, for example, and also be a bus driver) and adds in rushing and fumbles

That combination leader has won the MVP 95% of the time the last 20 years.
But you really need to wait until the end of the year or very close to it.

ESPN's manufactured "QBR" can be good but can lead to some VERY strange outcomes at times, btw. It is not purely statistical

Either way, Dak is killing it this year with 6 games to go.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You mean first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win? Off the top of my head, Dick Vermeil and Andy Reid took two different teams to the Super Bowl. If MM gets to the Super Bowl and wins he will be the first coach to take two different teams to the Super Bowl and win. But he is not the first to take two teams to the Super Bowl.
Yeah that was the one I forgot about.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
The 49ers break tackles, the Cowboys don't.

There's your difference.
Yeah it sucked watching Pollard continue to catch passes in the flat one on one vs a defender and get tackled. Ceedee, Ferg and Cooks are like the only people can consistently get yac it seems like.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
You are always grasping at straws to make your Boy better. Dak is in his 8th season. He's never going be a great QB. Right on the edge for stretches but never able to sustain it consistently.

Purdy is in his 1st full year. He's going to win MVP, further putting you to shame.

Dallas has one of the weakest schedules in the league.

Let's revisit this thread at the end of the month.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You are always grasping at straws to make your Boy better. Dak is in his 8th season. He's never going be a great QB. Right on the edge for stretches but never able to sustain it consistently.

Purdy is in his 1st full year. He's going to win MVP, further putting you to shame.

Dallas has one of the weakest schedules in the league.

Let's revisit this thread at the end of the month.
LOL!