gtb1943

Reaction score
I believe as long as Big and Little Enos is running things nothing will change

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the chiefs Ownership hire the GM who hired Ried who drafted Mahomes? At some point the GM has got to be held accountable for team failures...ours has failed for 28 years and counting...
Exactly. Clark Hunt fired Scott Pioli as general manager and hired Andy Reid as head coach. Hunt hired John Dorsey as his new general manager a week later.

Dorsey was fired as GM in June 2017, two months AFTER drafting Patrick Mahomes (video link). Some observers may have forgotten how controversial Mahomes' pick was at the time, which Dorsey was questioned repeatedly for executing.

Hunt assigned Dorsey preset goals within a preset timeframe to achieve as his GM. At some point, Hunt decided Dorsey did not meet those goals and moved on to Brett Veach a month later.

There should be little question from ANYBODY that Hunt will move on from Veach at some point. No manager, not even a National Football League general manager, should have a lifelong job. Not infusing new management vision is pure (literally) business negligence and ignorance for any football team. That is the central, decades long, problem for this franchise.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly. Clark Hunt fired Scott Pioli as general manager and hired Andy Reid as head coach. Hunt hired John Dorsey as his new general manager a week later.

Dorsey was fired as GM in June 2017, two months AFTER drafting Patrick Mahomes (video link). Some observers may have forgotten how controversial Mahomes' pick was at the time, which Dorsey was questioned repeatedly for executing.

Hunt assigned Dorsey preset goals within a preset timeframe to achieve as his GM. At some point, Hunt decided Dorsey did not meet those goals and moved on to Brett Veach a month later.

There should be little question from ANYBODY that Hunt will move on from Veach at some point. No manager, not even a National Football League general manager, should have a lifelong job. Not infusing new management vision is pure (literally) business negligence and ignorance for any football team. That is the central, decades long, problem for this franchise.
Last paragraph nails it. Nice.

Notice how he has now resorted to getting cranky and defensive about his GM work….and defends it with season ticket holder renewal rates and tv ratings.

Gotta hand it to Jerry in a certain regard. He throws it right into the faces of fans….tells you that “relative and interesting” is a priority, and most don’t seem to care.

I always knew he would not end things gracefully with his words and it’s all very much set up to get a lot worse. Some of the things that are about to come out of his mouth are going to be interesting. There’s a reason why people quit working and/or the public spotlight once they hit their ummm…80s.

But Jerry thinks he is 50 and l honestly believe that he still thinks that no one is better for the job than he is. I don’t know what he thinks of the kid but if he sees a talented NFL GM there it says plenty about the bad habit of misevaluating pretty much everything that has to do with football ops.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Notice how he has now resorted to getting cranky and defensive about his GM work….and defends it with season ticket holder renewal rates and tv ratings.
He has always been cranky whenever questioned about his GM record. Unfortunately, he is rarely questioned and not nearly as aggressively and thoroughly as possible when he is questioned.

No one appreciates unwanted criticism 100%. However, narcissists are especially sensitive to being held accountable for their actions--especially whenever openly questioned within public settings.

But Jerry thinks he is 50 and l honestly believe that he still thinks that no one is better for the job than he is. I don’t know what he thinks of the kid but if he sees a talented NFL GM there it says plenty about the bad habit of misevaluating pretty much everything that has to do with football ops.
Jones' mindset is a product of his upbringing and life experiences. He was taught to handle 'everything' regardless of obvious alternatives to succeed without his oversight. He understands the rewards that come with ultimately succeeding. He has experienced that as well. So, he will doggedly keep his thumb firmly on the GM position, while hoping he can finally prove to everyone he was right--even if that someday is never.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah but who pounds the table for those moves in SF and Miami, the GM does. The GM convinces the owner to make those move but in Dallas, Jerry the GM ain't trying to convince Jerry the owner to sign anyone. Proof? The last first day free agent we signed was Brandon Carr in 2011!!!!!! Proof? CeeDee not signed yet.
It's more about wins and losses. Dallas is draft and develop and they have built a strong team that has a strong foundation.

Sully

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
Bonhaze.....

I appreciate your post.
Being a Dallas fan since '77 and seeing what has happen to this organization for 30 years is a disgrace. I say this NOT just because the Cowboys have not won a Superbowl, over this period of time, NOT just even getting to a Superbowl BUT because franchise has not even played in a NFC Conference game.
I do blame Jerry Jones because he is the ONLY constant for the 30 years. His pride has destroyed the Cowboys. Not off the field, where the Cowboys
are the #1 Sports franchise. Which is shocking with zero success, but ON THE FIELD has been disgraceful

Now-- I do like Prescott, Lamb and to a degree Parsons. But when these players can not get the team to the above mentioned, I am NOT rewarding players with record breaking contracts. Sorry, but these players are not Superbowl caliber because if they were, they at least get to a NFC conference game. You can get to the same place(losing in the 1st round of playoffs) with lesser paid players. Trade Lamb for more draft picks and get a deeper team. I say trade Parsons also for numerous picks also. Players care FAR MORE for money, while fans care FAR MORE for wins.

rambo2

Reaction score

What about the 50 years between Chief Super Bowl wins? I know Chief fans that lived and died through that half century drought.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about the 50 years between Chief Super Bowl wins? I know Chief fans that lived and died through that half century drought.
Let's start instead with Year 1 for Kansas City's franchise in 1960

Don Rossi (1960)
Jack Steadman (1961-1975) Super Bowl I (loss to Green Bay Packers), Super Bowl IV (win over Minnesota Vikings)
Jim Schaaf (1976-1988)
Carl Peterson (1989-2008)
Scott Pioli (2009-2012)
John Dorsey (2013-2016)
Brett Veach (2017-present) Super Bowl LIV (win over San Francisco 49ers), Super Bowl LV (loss to Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Super Bowl LVII (win over Philadelphia Eagles), Super Bowl LVIII (win over San Francisco 49ers)

:popcorn:

birdwells1

Reaction score
It's more about wins and losses. Dallas is draft and develop and they have built a strong team that has a strong foundation.
I have no problem with their drafting, they're usually pretty good but to ignore the free agent aspect caps your potential.

rambo2

Reaction score
I have no problem with their drafting, they're usually pretty good but to ignore the free agent aspect caps your potential.
They don't actually ignore it. They ignore it in the minds of fans, but they sign or extend their own players that are outstanding and sign a few outside like Kendricks and the running backs they signed. They get a 53 man roster and their roster is very good, better than most.

birdwells1

Reaction score
They don't actually ignore it. They ignore it in the minds of fans, but they sign or extend their own players that are outstanding and sign a few outside like Kendricks and the running backs they signed. They get a 53 man roster and their roster is very good, better than most.
Better than most doesn't cut it (since we haven't been to the NFCCG since 1995), we should be trying to be better than ALL. To not sign a premium free agent since 2011 is just laughable.

rambo2

Reaction score
Better than most doesn't cut it (since we haven't been to the NFCCG since 1995), we should be trying to be better than ALL. To not sign a premium free agent since 2011 is just laughable.
They are trying to win. It's laughable that some have no idea.

LysleE

Reaction score
Jerry Jones’ Super Bowl victories were directly due to Jimmy Johnson putting those teams together and creating a culture of professionalism, discipline and accountability; Jerry merely wrote the checks.
Once Jerry’s ego and lack of recognition pushed Jimmy out of the organization; the Cowboys have been mired in mediocrity ever since; the poster organization for dysfunction evidenced by fielding talented teams, yet failing to make, or succeed in the playoffs over the past two decades.
Jerry only cares about the team being relevant off the field; so long as fans buy tickets and merchandise; blog about the Cowboys on social media; and getting the media talking about the Cowboys…good or bad, is all that Jerry wants, regardless of the word salad that comes out of his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.