CFZ The pressure is on the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. I recall because that post was what I replied to you initially. In that post, you stated:

My question was driven by curiosity in determining what created an assumption no one blamed Jerry Jones for years decades of less-than-expected results on the morning of the wild card game. I took note of your GM comment but it was not my focus at that time.

I will now make it my focus since you have re-emphasized the reasoning concerning your GM comment. In my opinion, the organization has required a change at GM, starting at maximum, at the end of the 2002 season. I will not fault anyone for suggesting a change should have occurred before that. And while I 100% agree a different qualified general manager is a must, I cannot logically ignore Jones has not stepped down and replaced himself with one during the past 22 years.

Your own reasoning offers one reason why Jones has been a detriment to his own goals for all this time. He has a long history of retaining players 'too long' and purposefully doing so via questionable contractual negotiations.

You will get no argument from me that anything I think means anything to Jones. He is the owner and self-appointed president/general manager of an NFL franchise. Why should he care?

Me? It means everything to me. It began REALLY meaning something to me when the team began eroding in the late 1990's. It firmly became something totally meaningful to me witnessing three straight 5-11 seasons. It did not stop being completely meaningful to me through each sub .500 season. Each .500 season. Each winning regular season. Each playoff season that ended at or beneath the divisional round.

I would argue that you believe three back-to-back-to-back 12-5 seasons undermines any blame other fans should place on Jones' culpability in not managing his team closer to his own stated goals. If that is true, I would re-emphasize that you are wrong. Or that your reasoning is wrong in my case at least.

I do not look at ANY organization of any kind in any field and say, "Oh well. Management is not to blame for substandard results." That ain't me. I certainty do not isolate Jones (or his DNA kids) from my lifelong opinion all organizations, successful or not, are parts of a whole. And I do believe decision-making by managers, especially top management, has tangible and intangible effects, both good and bad, on their organizations from top-to-bottom.

My opinion? My unchanged opinion? Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. has been a negative influence via his football management of his own team since March 29, 1994. His unqualified football management was initially offset by the roster quality and discipline embedded by Jimmy Johnson for a couple more seasons after Johnson's departure. Jones' inflexibly selfish sense of football management has contributed to his team not being comprised with the right combination of coaches and players--combinations that might be possible with the vision of a different qualified general manager.
Must read for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you'll find I mentioned our need of a professional GM, in my first post of this thread. What should happen and what fans want means nothing, when the records say 12-5.

I argue about this history being airbrushed, especially the optimism at the beginning of last season and prior to the GB game (which was only really rivalled after the 31-14 defeat of the Bucc's). So we did something right, but came up short in the play-offs and yes it could be that mean this teams run it's course and it needs a change. But changing the GM (WHICH WE AGREE UPON), isnt at this stage a tinkering at the edges, THAT's A TEAR IT DOWN AND START AGAIN (around what that GM wants)........which is actually what I think we need, and this off-season would of been ideal, doing it at a point of relative strength (not when you're down on your uppers).

What tends to happen in these threads is fans start protecting 'their cat' and throwing blame in one direction as if that tinkering will improve this roster.....no, it's all or nothing.
Ain't that the truth. I've seen several times where someone is agreeing w/ someone on everything, until their own little pet cat is brought up, and NOOOOOOOOOOOO, then they're all wrong!!! Crazy stuff.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Naw, this organizations structure is different than any others in the NFL and is the main reason why we haven't been back to the NFCCG in 29 years.
Nope

If there was any truth to this logic, then there wouldn't be teams in the NFL who have had less success

birdwells1

Reaction score
People with the power are the ones that hold their employees accountable...and while Jerry needs to hold himself accountable, we all know that he is in a class of his own by being owner and GM. Old news...BTW, GMs, HCs and coordinators also hold assistants and players accountable. As they they, stuff rolls downhill.
Jerry Jones holds the position of general manager and Stephen Jones hold the position of director of player personnel, on any other team those positions are ones that if you perform poorly you'll get fired. In Dallas since the owner and the owners son have those positions there's no accountability and no urgency since they can't lose their jobs no matter what.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Nope

If there was any truth to this logic, then there wouldn't be teams in the NFL who have had less success
In the NFC there's only 2 organizations that haven't made the NFCCG in the last 29 years, Dallas (Jerry Jones) and Washington (Dan Sneider) both have bad/toxic cultures. The Cowboys can build good teams primarily due to Will McClay's magic but can't get over the hump due to lack of involvement in free agency, hiring head coach that will let them continue to be the face of this org and continuing to try to win it "their way" which doesn't work.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry Jones holds the position of general manager and Stephen Jones hold the position of director of player personnel, on any other team those positions are ones that if you perform poorly you'll get fired. In Dallas since the owner and the owners son have those positions there's no accountability and no urgency since they can't lose their jobs no matter what.
Yes, that's what I said....thanks for the long version. Lol

birdwells1

Reaction score
OP has major JDS, every single day we get to hear the same old tired spiel.
Naw it's about time this front office got called out instead of Dak and before him Romo. Any other organization that's been blessed with pro bowl level qbing for 17 years while only giving up a 4th round draft pick for it would at least have some NFCCG to show for it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
In the NFC there's only 2 organizations that haven't made the NFCCG in the last 29 years, Dallas (Jerry Jones) and Washington (Dan Sneider) both have bad/toxic cultures. The Cowboys can build good teams primarily due to Will McClay's magic but can't get over the hump due to lack of involvement in free agency, hiring head coach that will let them continue to be the face of this org and continuing to try to win it "their way" which doesn't work.
Ok but going to the NFCCG doesn't mean anything.

Sitting here saying that, say, the Lions, have been better in that time period, is stupid.

birdwells1

Reaction score
See also: every owner in sports.

Do people honestly think that, say, Miami signed Tua, San Fran traded for Lance, CLEVELAND signed Watson, and Carolina drafted Young without ownership approval? lmao
Yeah but who pounds the table for those moves in SF and Miami, the GM does. The GM convinces the owner to make those move but in Dallas, Jerry the GM ain't trying to convince Jerry the owner to sign anyone. Proof? The last first day free agent we signed was Brandon Carr in 2011!!!!!! Proof? CeeDee not signed yet.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The Dallas football community and beyond has spent millions in support of this team and the owner has an obligation to put the best GM in charge and put together the beat roster possible. In response (post-Jimmy’s dynasty roster), Jerry defiantly makes all the football decisions, winning be damned. Jerry is giving all fans the finger.
You need people in place at the GM (Jerry) and personnel position (Stephen) whose job relies on the success of the team. If the team is not successful then they lose their jobs, that's the kind of urgency you need in those positions. The Joneses are never uncomfortable because they know that they won't lose their jobs no matter what.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Back to my original point. I’m on the right side of the argument, trying to be positive. You’re on the wrong side, becoming bitter with your hate. See, I’m trying to help you out but you can lead a horse to water but can’t make him drink.
Dude we've been positive for 28 years, how about being real. If we as fans start pointing to the real problem then maybe the local/national media will pick up on it instead of pointing fingers at the players.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Where I disagree with you Rock is IMO it does matter that fans express their frustration with the results we keep getting. IMO it is not “whining” to speak the truth about why we are in this 28 year playoff drought. And one thing is 100% certain. Nothing will change if Cowboys fans continue act like “Jerry’s way” is ok.

We‘ve had 6 different HCs, 8 different OCs and 8 different DCs since our last divisional playoff win. And 29 different drafts. And one GM. To me not speaking out is like pretending everything is ok as it is. No one has to agree with that of course. But I’m just being honest.

To me continuing to believe that somehow after three decades of the same old playoff results Jerry is going to “get it right” is insanity.
I've come to this conclusion a long time ago and pointed straight to Jerry and Stephen for this teams failures:
How can you have 17 years of pro bowl QB play (Romo, Dak) and be 1 of only 2 teams not to make the NFCCG in the last 28 years?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise on planet earth and be ranked 30th in cash spending?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise on planet earth and have the lowest paid head coach?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise and haven't signed a first day free agent since 2011?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise and won't hire an alpha coach and let him be the leader of this football team?

We must keep the pressure on this front office, some of the Cowboys content creators have people in the media on their shows so we have to keep on speaking the truth and never get tired.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I've come to this conclusion a long time ago and pointed straight to Jerry and Stephen for this teams failures:
How can you have 17 years of pro bowl QB play (Romo, Dak) and be 1 of only 2 teams not to make the NFCCG in the last 28 years?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise on planet earth and be ranked 30th in cash spending?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise on planet earth and have the lowest paid head coach?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise and haven't signed a first day free agent since 2011?
How can you be the most valuable sports franchise and won't hire an alpha coach and let him be the leader of this football team?

We must keep the pressure on this front office, some of the Cowboys content creators have people in the media on their shows so we have to keep on speaking the truth and never get tired.
100%

birdwells1

Reaction score
As poorly as the entire Cowboys team played vs the pack last January … the worst playoff performance in team history…if I were GM I would have fired McCarthy. History shows when a team gets humiliated like that it’s extremely hard for the HC and/or the team to recover from that. We will see.

Here’s the bottom line of all that: If you as the GM think your HC is worth keeping, extend his contract. If you aren’t sure he’s worth it you’ve already made your decision. You should move on.

This is bad GM practice.
Jerry said that he didn't fire him partly because he didn't want to pay 2 head coaches. Mike makes 4 million dollars and that stopped you from getting a new head coach? Something ain't right in that front office.

Status
Not open for further replies.