CFZ The pressure is on the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Ok but going to the NFCCG doesn't mean anything.

Sitting here saying that, say, the Lions, have been better in that time period, is stupid.
To get to the super bowl you have to go to this thing called a "conference championship", the goal is getting to a super bowl and winning it. Over the last 28 years 14 out 16 teams have done a better job at chasing the super bowl than have the Cowboys because 14 teams have went further than the Cowboys.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The pressure should be on Mr. Paternity dodger and his ruddy faced nepo baby.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
To get to the super bowl you have to go to this thing called a "conference championship", the goal is getting to a super bowl and winning it. Over the last 28 years 14 out 16 teams have done a better job at chasing the super bowl than have the Cowboys because 14 teams have went further than the Cowboys.
So the goal is winning the Super Bowl but your standard for success is less than that? Makes total sense lmao

Every team is bad if the barometer is just what they haven't done.

Tampa Bay sucks, they haven't even won a Super Bowl in 3 years.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
That is what Jimmy meant by calling it a country club. To support my case, Troy Aikman that he was handed the keys to the kingdom after the 1989 draft, courted by the old regime (Landry, Tex, and Gil), and drafted by the new regime (Jimmy, Ackles, and Wooten).

Then Jimmy drafted Walsh, traded for Steve Beuerlein, and signed Bernie Kosar. Walsh and Beuerlein made sure Aikman was held accountable and earned the keys to the kingdom. Aikman and no other player ever felt safe in the country club with Jimmy Johnson.

Leadership on a football team starts with the Head Coach, not the President, GM, and defacto Head Coach all being the same person.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The pressure is on the wrong people in the Cowboys organization. Healthy organizations hold the people at the top accountable for results. If they don’t get the results desired they are replaced. Not in Big D.

Here the owner holds mid and low-level people accountable for mistakes made at the top. It’s completely dysfunctional. Here’s the undeniable truth of all healthy organizations: If the people at the top are not held accountable, you can have no accountability anywhere else in that organization. This the foundational flaw that makes all of this 28 year playoff drought so maddening.

I‘m all for putting pressure on coaches and players to perform at the highest level with focus, discipline and execution. Those men are professionals. Good leaders hold everyone accountable for results. But if they themselves are not accountable while the mid and lower level people are, it creates an organizational cancer that left unaddressed just festers.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan I want this team to win every game every year including this year. But I also have to be honest when I look at this organization and think, “Will this year be any different?” I just can’t say “yes” until something changes. I will happily be wrong if a miracle happens.
I don't care what anyone else thinks but it's Dak and Big Mike that should of been fired after last seasons debacle against GB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We must keep the pressure on this front office, some of the Cowboys content creators have people in the media on their shows so we have to keep on speaking the truth and never get tired.
Good luck. I say that with complete sincerity.

Who and what Jerry Jones is and represents for the Dallas Cowboys' football prosperity, made possible by his general manager guidance, has been transparently obvious to all media, both local and national, encompassing sports reporting and sports talk, for decades.

Gone are the days of the Randy Galloways and Tim MacMahons of sports media placing Jones under the harsh spotlight of his own GM efforts. Nowadays? No one wishes to continually piss him off and miss out on his soundbites, which are 24-carat gold for content makers.

Sure. A radio host may publicly tread upon Jones' GM competency here. A radio talk show caller might spark conversation there. Attention never lasts and fluff replaces the microscope soon after. Jones can call in drunk defending his GM record one day. It is barely talked about a day or two later.

The Cowherds of sports talk media do the same. One segment might be devoted on Jones the GM for five, seven minutes, tops. Another one might return the same time the following year.

Jones is even buddy-buddy with a few. sports talking heads. Stephen A. Smith might holler about 'Jerry's record' on day. That would be it. He cannot apply real heat. Otherwise, he will be put on Jones' personal helicopter no-fly list. Being a world-known celebrity has its perks.

And Jones could not care less about everyone, including Smith, talking about the team and especially the quarterback. Why? Because the focus is on his team. Jones devours attention, both good and bad, directed at his team. It keeps Dallas relevant. It keeps Dallas at the top of conversation. PT Barnum loves that type of attention and will always want more.

Putting his butt in a frying pan is the type of scrutiny that Jones detests with hot passion. Members can witness it at the beginning of a video I created recently by clicking here. Just look at Jones literally seethe when MacMahon keeps peppering him with completely relevant questions about him not relinquishing GM control to someone else. The old saying that an egg could fry atop Jones' head would be totally apt.

That is the type of focused, determined, unwielding face-to-face reporting that your effort would need to spark in order to have any chance of moving Jones' needle. The rest of the video I mentioned has media types like Scott Pelley and Jan Crawford wanting to get Jones to reveal his life story and dreams.

Those interviews were done over a decade ago. They are slightly representative of what we get to see or read today. One solid fastball thrown at him about being GM and his inability to get over a three-decade old hump his way. WAY too many knuckleballs lobbed at the NFL's ultimate showman.

Like I said. Good luck. :thumbup:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dude we've been positive for 28 years, how about being real. If we as fans start pointing to the real problem then maybe the local/national media will pick up on it instead of pointing fingers at the players.
Jerry’s at fault for sure but I’m not going to let that ruin my love for the Cowboys nor let it turn me bitter as it has you.

birdwells1

Reaction score
So the goal is winning the Super Bowl but your standard for success is less than that? Makes total sense lmao

Every team is bad if the barometer is just what they haven't done.

Tampa Bay sucks, they haven't even won a Super Bowl in 3 years.
It's called progress, do i think that SF is a better organization than the Cowboys? Yes. Due to the fact that they've made it to multiple NFCCG and Super Bowls with different HCs, GMs and QBs. They haven't won it but they gotten closer than the Cowboys, as far as TB yes they suck now but they had a parade about 3 years ago our parade was 29 years ago. HERE THE REAL THING, I'M BLAMING THE JONESES AND YOU'RE ARGUING THE SIDE OF A GM/ VICE PRESIDENT OF PERSONNEL THAT HASN'T GOT TO AN NFCCG/SUPER BOWL IN 29 YEARS!!! I'D HATE TO BE ON THAT SIDE!!!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I just don’t see how we can argue “ tear it down and start again” is what’s in the best interest of a team it’s took this current coaching staff 4 years to build.
Because, if you/we want a professional GM that's responsible for their own actions, they need to have full autonomy which may even include moving on from Dak (and start again). If you dont want that, and just want someone to tinker around we've got, just stick with the Jones, or promote McClay to a pseudo-arms length GM.

Your point, is exactly what i'm saying when threads like these are somewhat 'dog whistles' to apportion blame away from blaming 'my pet cat'......we need a new independent GM, THEY NEED TO MAKE THE DECISION (either way), you want a handicap the GM straight away.

ArtClink

Reaction score
You need people in place at the GM (Jerry) and personnel position (Stephen) whose job relies on the success of the team. If the team is not successful then they lose their jobs, that's the kind of urgency you need in those positions. The Joneses are never uncomfortable because they know that they won't lose their jobs no matter what.
Agree 100%! The Jones boys won't be held accountable until "the role is called up yonder" lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because, if you/we want a professional GM that's responsible for their own actions, they need to have full autonomy which may even include moving on from Dak (and start again). If you dont want that, and just want someone to tinker around we've got, just stick with the Jones, or promote McClay to a pseudo-arms length GM.

Your point, is exactly what i'm saying when threads like these are somewhat 'dog whistles' to apportion blame away from blaming 'my pet cat'......we need a new independent GM, THEY NEED TO MAKE THE DECISION (either way), you want a handicap the GM straight away.
Yep. Of course we need a new GM. Unfortunately we don’t have any choice in that matter. But like with any handicap or obstacle we must make decisions to overcome best we can within the framework we have.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's called progress, do i think that SF is a better organization than the Cowboys? Yes. Due to the fact that they've made it to multiple NFCCG and Super Bowls with different HCs, GMs and QBs. They haven't won it but they gotten closer than the Cowboys, as far as TB yes they suck now but they had a parade about 3 years ago our parade was 29 years ago. HERE THE REAL THING, I'M BLAMING THE JONESES AND YOU'RE ARGUING THE SIDE OF A GM/ VICE PRESIDENT OF PERSONNEL THAT HASN'T GOT TO AN NFCCG/SUPER BOWL IN 29 YEARS!!! I'D HATE TO BE ON THAT SIDE!!!
Ok fine but that's not even close to what the conversation was.

I don't think Jerry is a great GM, but the logic of blaming the owners is stupid. Was the Chiefs ownership group good for the 50 years before they had Mahomes?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He knows this. He's just trying to cope by pretending to be obtuse.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Ok fine but that's not even close to what the conversation was.

I don't think Jerry is a great GM, but the logic of blaming the owners is stupid. Was the Chiefs ownership group good for the 50 years before they had Mahomes?
Did the chiefs Ownership hire the GM who hired Ried who drafted Mahomes? At some point the GM has got to be held accountable for team failures...ours has failed for 28 years and counting...

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Did the chiefs Ownership hire the GM who hired Ried who drafted Mahomes? At some point the GM has got to be held accountable for team failures...ours has failed for 28 years and counting...
Well they fired the guy who hired Reid and Veach wasn't the GM when they drafted Mahomes.

But Veach, if anything, makes my point. GMs are made by QBs. It's the only thing that defines their career. Polian and Manning. Belichick and Brady. Thompson and Rodgers. Now it's Veach and Mahomes. Poles and Williams. Caserio and Stroud - inverse of Fitterer and Young.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well they fired the guy who hired Reid and Veach wasn't the GM when they drafted Mahomes.

But Veach, if anything, makes my point. GMs are made by QBs. It's the only thing that defines their career. Polian and Manning. Belichick and Brady. Thompson and Rodgers. Now it's Veach and Mahomes. Poles and Williams. Caserio and Stroud - inverse of Fitterer and Young.
Brett Veach was most responsible for the acquisition of Patrick Mahomes according to Andy Reid. Veach first began scouting Mahomes in 2015 when Veach was Director of Player Personnel. Veach became GM in 2017.

Andy Reid said Veach was most responsible for the chiefs acquiring Mahomes. Reid mentioned that Veach, before being promoted to general manager, discovered Mahomes as a freshman at Texas Tech and raved about his potential to Reid and then-general manager John Dorsey. Reid said, “Brett was pushing us with this guy forever, he was wearing John and I out with this quarterback, from the time the kid was a freshman on up through,” Reid said.

Mac, do you think our GM or entitled son are even capable of pulling off the long term study that went into scouting Mahomes and then the trade up to get him? The chiefs were not lucky to get Mahomes. They worked on it for two years.

Article that verifies this: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Well Bob, i dont agree fully.

People at the top are only held accoubtable in a surrounding that allows that. When you have only one owner at the top that guy will never be held accountable

See Mark Zuckerberg, elon musk, Jeff besos to name just a few.

You need a structure at the top that distrubutes powers. Then, only then you have at least a chance for accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.