The QB School film breakdown- Trey Lance edition

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if the Trey truthers opinion of his game lines up with a former pro's professional breakdown.
Disturbing thing for me is that the ball placement issue to backs in the flat is what we've seen from Dak for years.

Why can't they hit the backs in stride so they have a chance to make something of the catch?

It's like they just target the body.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if the Trey truthers opinion of his game lines up with a former pro's professional breakdown.
1) Bad ball placement on balls in the flat. Throwing at the receiver, instead of leading him to the side he's turned.
2) Happy feet.
3) Always throwing a beat late.

I think 2+3 are a pair.
Doesn't understand that on the first read you decide to throw or not *after* you've planted to throw. Always plant the last step to throw the first read. Then you decide whether to throw. Or you'll always be late.
Simplest, most automatic thing is to be ready to immediately throw the first read off of the last step of your drop. Practice it that way every single time. Do it that way every single time. If it's not there, don't throw it.

conner01

Reaction score
Essentially, Lance still has issues with his mechanics at times and seems to struggle with the play design and what the play is trying to get the defense to do. He also has issues seeing what the defense is doing.

In other words, he's raw. Really raw.
Thank you. I can’t wait an hour to hear a summary lol the concerning part about that is he had a year watching to learn those basic things. Hopefully it improves but if you don’t know the basics it’s hard to be good at anything

Chasing6

Reaction score
1) Major theme: inconsistent. He will make the right reads and plays then throw a pass that QBs at this level should easily make.

2) Inaccurate too much.

3) Very athletic and can rip the ball.

4) Hesitates to let the ball rip and is 1) with it. One time he’ll throw to the open receiver on a slant. The next time it’s practically the same play and he won’t. Or the ball comes out a little late.

5) Praised some of his plays where he’d look one way and then the other and let the ball rip to the right receiver. He said these type of plays need to be more common.

6) Has some issues with “wasted motion”. He spent an inordinate amount of time showing this in the beginning, but I didn’t really see this. The same guy has a video short on Penix and I saw the same type of motion from him but didn’t see him point it out.

So what I got from it is he shows flashes, but he needs to be consistent and improve his accuracy.
His reads are not necessarily accurate. He also does not understand what is considered open in the NFL. He wants to wait until the are wide open.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
His reads are not necessarily accurate. He also does not understand what is considered open in the NFL. He wants to wait until the are wide open.
This is my biggest takeaway, that Lance is hesitant to release the ball "in stride".

What that means is that he is waiting for a receiver to get to a spot before throwing the ball, this is a very bad tendency for QBs, you have to learn to "throw the WR open", meaning you throw to a spot the WR will be at the exact time the ball arrives, so you hit the WR "in stride".

This means that when you release the ball, the WR is not yet at the spot you are throwing to, thus if the timing is wrong it can have very bad consequences, usually a turnover. This is why Georgia QB for the Rams was just throwing pick after pick, he was throwing to a spot the WR was not to yet, but his throwing mechanics, timing of throws, and understanding of route tree progression of reads were just horrendous. He should have had about 7 picks, 2 of those were just flat out dropped that hit the defenders right in the hands to the point even they were shocked he was throwing the ball to them and another pick was wiped out by a holding call.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until they put this guy in a offense he's designed to run. There's no sense wasting time with him.

Key word being run.

They watched how to handle a Player like Trey in 2016 yet they're too stupid to use it again.
Football people my arse.

sbark

Reaction score
Until they put this guy in a offense he's designed to run. There's no sense wasting time with him.

Key word being run.

They watched how to handle a Player like Trey in 2016 yet they're too stupid to use it again.
Football people my arse.
Hard to make time in camp, maybe a few plays. Dak & C.Rush are similar players....get the time devoted to their style.

Lance.....dissapointed he hasnt cleaned up at least the mechanical issues over past yr....get his arse to a QB guru and grind, make new habits.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Key word being run.

Football people my arse.
Well key word for QB's is actually throw.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to make time in camp, maybe a few plays. Dak & C.Rush are similar players....get the time devoted to their style.

Lance.....dissapointed he hasnt cleaned up at least the mechanical issues over past yr....get his arse to a QB guru and grind, make new habits.
I'd like to replace the entire offensive coaching staff, starting with McCarthy.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s a shame that it appears Cowboys fans have to down play Lance to show loyalty to Dak. I guess it’s media/youtube driven with Bobby Belt, Mark Holmes, Dak attack, and Voch. Cavanaugh said the Cowboys should eat 4 million dollars and trade Lance to Minnesota for a 5th round pick. Just sad how the Cowboys fandom make Stephen A right. :facepalm: :huh:
Or maybe, just maybe, he isn’t a good NFL QB. The SF front office clearly didn’t have a very high opinion of him.

Sometimes the truth is exactly as it seems.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s a shame that it appears Cowboys fans have to down play Lance to show loyalty to Dak. I guess it’s media/youtube driven with Bobby Belt, Mark Holmes, Dak attack, and Voch. Cavanaugh said the Cowboys should eat 4 million dollars and trade Lance to Minnesota for a 5th round pick. Just sad how the Cowboys fandom make Stephen A right. :facepalm: :huh:
Did the rest of league down play Trance by offering a 6th or 7th round pick or no offer at all???