THE Question the Cowboys must answer to kill the monkey

RD21

Reaction score
Will take more than beating SF to convince me that this team is legit, & has the toughness to contend. Winning this weekend is absolutely required to be talking about respect, & or monkeys.

The most likely road if we get past SF this weekend, would be a trip to Tampa, followed by a trip to Green Bay. Win one or more of those games, opinions will change. However, this team will never really be respected again, until it hoists another Lombardi. That's just the way it is.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are the Cowboys TOUGH ENOUGH to kill the 25 yr old monkey on their backs?

The playoffs are completely different than regular season games. Teams that advance have to be made of a toughness that transcends talent. The most talented teams don’t always win. The toughest teams do.

The Cowboys are 12-5. One of the 6 best teams in the NFL. They have enough talent and coaching to win Sunday and beyond. Since game 1 against Tampa, they have proved in the regular season if they bring their best game, they can play with anyone.

The question for the Cowboys is simple- will they be able to be mentally and physically tough enough to grind out some playoff wins? This team has the chance.

A quarter century of playoff underachievement is the monkey on this team’s back. Talk is cheap. Respect is earned in the playoffs. Winning playoff games (plural) will kill the monkey. It’s going to take a toughness this team hasn’t shown in the playoffs in a quarter century.

The toughest teams win in the playoffs. Just do it!

They are not one of the 6 best teams in the NFL.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I understand that, but I think this 49ers team is anything but a pushover. They're a very good team, and thus beating them in the playoffs is a big achievement in my book. Don't get me wrong. I huger for the Super Bowl after all this time. It's just that if we beat the 9ers (and that's a big "if"), that's nothing to sneeze at. They got into the playoffs by being an excellent team.

don't disagree that it would be a quality win .... just saying Jags beat the Colts. I still don't believe the Jags are the better team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would hope that beating the 49ers in the playoffs would be enough to rid us of that monkey, but I'm not even certain of that. People will say that the 9ers barely squeaked into the playoffs. But I see things differently. I think the 49ers made the playoffs by being an excellent team. This game isn't a gimme for either side. To my mind, a victory here would be a huge achievement, and I hope our team is able to do that. I think in some people's mind, nothing less than getting to the NFC Championship gets the monkey off the team's back, but I see that as nonsense. This Cowboys team had a historically bad defense just last year and wasn't even in the neighborhood of the playoffs. This turnaround is already a big achievement, and then beating an excellent Niners team should bring nothing but respect. It should, though some will still gripe.

I also think whichever team wins this matchup does have a shot at the Super Bowl.

No. Winning a wild card game won't change the narrative nor should it for any non group of losers.

I hate to see this team treated so unfairly.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Monke, hahahaha.

I want and expect the Cowboys to win but I'm not betting the farm that they do.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It’s going to take more than beating SF. Beating Brady in the next round will earn the Cowboys a lot of respect.

Just beat SF this week. Next week we can move on to Brady. Than Rogers.

This is the way I see it. When I grew up in late 70s there was a mentality of SB or bust. Even the early to mid 80s. The 90s that picked up again. No one on any of these teams was thinking “yippee we won a playoff game.” There was a mentality of “we are the flipping Dallas Cowboys, we will be playing in the NFCCG for a shot.” I think to get the monkey off you need this. You need runs. This team needs to think the goal is taking down everyone. It’s mental. Stop being scared. Put it all out there. Set the goal.

Conceive, Believe, Achieve..Cowboys on 3…(123)..COWBOYS

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
This is the way I see it. When I grew up in late 70s there was a mentality of SB or bust. Even the early to mid 80s. The 90s that picked up again. No one on any of these teams was thinking “yippee we won a playoff game.” There was a mentality of “we are the flipping Dallas Cowboys, we will be playing in the NFCCG for a shot.” I think to get the monkey off you need this. You need runs. This team needs to think the goal is taking down everyone. It’s mental. Stop being scared. Put it all out there. Set the goal.

Conceive, Believe, Achieve..Cowboys on 3…COWBOYS

Well the good news about this team is everyone is waiting for that shoe to drop. Make a mistake, come out flat, a pretender. Everyone in America wants to say “I told you so”. We’re not the front runner. We’re a division winner with the 3rd seed. It’s ripe for the taking. As hard as it is for this team to be silent it’s the perfect time. We win this week it will be the same narrative next week. “No way the Cowboys beat Brady at home”…….the pressure is off so play loose.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There's been a gif and a video posted, neither of which are monkeys.

PuppetShock-E.gif

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The playoffs are completely different than regular season games. Teams that advance have to be made of a toughness that transcends talent. The most talented teams don’t always win. The toughest teams do.

The Cowboys are 12-5. One of the 6 best teams in the NFL. They have enough talent and coaching to win Sunday and beyond. Since game 1 against Tampa, they have proved in the regular season if they bring their best game, they can play with anyone.

The question for the Cowboys is simple- will they be able to be mentally and physically tough enough to grind out some playoff wins? This team has the chance.

A quarter century of playoff underachievement is the monkey on this team’s back. Talk is cheap. Respect is earned in the playoffs. Winning playoff games (plural) will kill the monkey. It’s going to take a toughness this team hasn’t shown in the playoffs in a quarter century.

I'm gonna report you to PETA!
Maybe spank it, but don't kill it!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d say we aren’t good enough to beat Tampa or Green Bay. And there’s nothing shameful about that.

They have the two premiere QB’s of this era along with a solid supporting cast and home field advantage.

I’m proud to just be in the mix. Especially with our dysfunctional organization.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think Dallas needs to have all phases going. They really had the offense and defense going 3/4 games this year. The “flu”, injuries, and inconsistencies lead to that. If Dallas has it all going they will be a tough out. Coaches need to step up too. The Garrett years always had the coaches fail in big spots.

blueblood70

Reaction score

PETA just fainted LOL

GMO415

Reaction score
Dallas is being judged on a historical level in addition to this season. Bottom line we have a significantly better QB. We will win.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would hope that beating the 49ers in the playoffs would be enough to rid us of that monkey, but I'm not even certain of that. People will say that the 9ers barely squeaked into the playoffs. But I see things differently. I think the 49ers made the playoffs by being an excellent team. This game isn't a gimme for either side. To my mind, a victory here would be a huge achievement, and I hope our team is able to do that. I think in some people's mind, nothing less than getting to the NFC Championship gets the monkey off the team's back, but I see that as nonsense. This Cowboys team had a historically bad defense just last year and wasn't even in the neighborhood of the playoffs. This turnaround is already a big achievement, and then beating an excellent Niners team should bring nothing but respect. It should, though some will still gripe.

I also think whichever team wins this matchup does have a shot at the Super Bowl.
no the monkey is the game 2 win. Win that and at least make an NFCCG appearance and the monkey wont be dead but Hes off the backs and the narratives around fan bases.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Hard to say if we are tough enough but we will know by the end of the first half of this playoff game.
It's going to take discipline to not get penalized and stop drives.
It's going to take physical sacrifice of their bodies to win playoff games. At this point in the year you have to prove that you are willing to tolerate more pain to succeed than your opponent
You must physically take their heart mentally you can't beat yourself and even if you have all this down you have to hope that you are coaching staff makes good decisions and your kicker doesn't let you down

ArtClink

Reaction score
Here’s a good definition of playoff toughness:
  • The ability to overcome whatever adversity strikes. The other team’s good plays must be matched and exceeded. The ability to overcome bad calls. The ability to make a play, a stop or a turnover when your team must have it. That’s playoff tough.
Our defense has been the Achilles heel of winning playoff games the past 25 years. Not surprisingly, Jerry doesn't like to spend money on the defensive side of the ball. Here are a few examples.

- Our defense in 2018 could not stop the run against the Rams in the divisional round and their backup running back wasn't even that great.
- Our defense in 2016 was our undoing in the miracle 4th and 35 Rogers throw that produced the game winning field goal (BTW Dak had better stats than Rogers that game).
- Our defense in 2014 was unable to stop Rogers in the Dez catch game where there was still 4:50 left on the clock (not 0:01 like some think) when the refs blew the call.
- Our defense in 2007 let the Giants drive down and score a TD right before halftime (it would have also helped if Patrick Crayton could run a route and catch a pass in that game too).
- Our defense in 2006 failed to make a stop when it counted after Romo's fumbled snap on field goal when there was still almost 2 minutes left. All we needed was a stop and a field goal.

The good news is we have Parsons and Diggs, two guys that hate to lose which is refreshing change around here and Parsons especially is our leader on defense. I worry that the 49ers skilled positions have so much speed that it will be difficult to keep it low scoring enough to win.