THE Question the Cowboys must answer to kill the monkey

CCBoy

Reaction score
They used to say the same thing about the early Cowboys coached by Tom Landry.

Chokers......"Can't win the Big One"......Next year's champions.....

They consistently broke the hearts of their fans.

They lost back to back NFL championships on the last play of the game....to the Packers. Winning those two championships entitled the Packers to play the AFL champion in Super Bowls 1 and 2.

Then the Cowboys played in the first post-merger Super Bowl 5 and lost to the Colts on a last second FG due to a turnover by the Cowboys deep ion their own territory.

The following year, they had enough. You could tell the Cowboys were not going to be denied, particularly on defense. They beat the Dolphins in Super Bowl 6 and the score was 24-3 against an offense so prolific that the next season the Dolphins went undefeated throughout the regular season and the playoffs.

So one of the questions is, has this current team had enough of the disrespect and ridicule? How do guys like Parsons, Gregory, and D-Law feel about being called "soft". Do Tyron, Martin and Collins agree with this label?

We will see in four days.

Great post here...and the price for winning. Sometimes experience for a team beyond the regular season is difficult to come by and then match up.

It all has to produce when matched up, and experience at intense levels and with crisis running throughout, is a tough task master.

It's not all get the drop and fake an opponent for a win, but that is part of the game as well...Lady Luck is nice although.:)

Let's do this, Cowboys! It's time!!:starspin:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Defense will determine how far we go
I'm more concerned about this offense. This game could be a tough defensive battle that is a field position game. This 40 million dollar QB better not have one of those 9 point 3 fg games or he needs to be kicked to the curb.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They used to say the same thing about the early Cowboys coached by Tom Landry.

Chokers......"Can't win the Big One"......Next year's champions.....

They consistently broke the hearts of their fans.

They lost back to back NFL championships on the last play of the game....to the Packers. Winning those two championships entitled the Packers to play the AFL champion in Super Bowls 1 and 2.

Then the Cowboys played in the first post-merger Super Bowl 5 and lost to the Colts on a last second FG due to a turnover by the Cowboys deep ion their own territory.

The following year, they had enough. You could tell the Cowboys were not going to be denied, particularly on defense. They beat the Dolphins in Super Bowl 6 and the score was 24-3 against an offense so prolific that the next season the Dolphins went undefeated throughout the regular season and the playoffs.

So one of the questions is, has this current team had enough of the disrespect and ridicule? How do guys like Parsons, Gregory, and D-Law feel about being called "soft". Do Tyron, Martin and Collins agree with this label?

We will see in four days.
That’s a good summary of those early days. And I agree 100%- how hungry are the guys on this team to end this current monkey on their backs?

Someone recently said on this forum that you have to hate losing as much or more as you love winning. I agree with that. That’s something Jimmy Johnson was known for. Those plane rides back to Dallas after a road loss were miserable when Jimmy was the HC.

You have to really hate losing as bad as you want to win.

shabazz

Reaction score
Stop the run, be aggressive in the pass game on offense, get a lead.

Thats the formula. DO NOT come out hoping to pound the ball with Zeke. We can try that after we have a nice lead. Pass defense is their weakness.

pass to open up the run may very well be among the first 15 scripted plays……but because of Bosa and those boys bringing that heat I don’t expect to see the deep ball until they are kept honest against the run…..it’s going to have to happen at some point.

shabazz

Reaction score
That’s a good summary of those early days. And I agree 100%- how hungry are the guys on this team to end this current monkey on their backs?

Someone recently said on this forum that you have to hate losing as much or more as you love winning. I agree with that. That’s something Jimmy Johnson was known for. Those plane rides back to Dallas after a road loss were miserable when Jimmy was the HC.

You have to really hate losing as bad as you want to win.

Our offensive line can hate losing, but in the end it’s about matchups and talent level……desire can only go so far……and that’s the matchup I’m most concerned about

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Winning alleviates all problems, changes all narratives, answers all questions.

Losing does too just not in a good way.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would hope that beating the 49ers in the playoffs would be enough to rid us of that monkey, but I'm not even certain of that. People will say that the 9ers barely squeaked into the playoffs. But I see things differently. I think the 49ers made the playoffs by being an excellent team. This game isn't a gimme for either side. To my mind, a victory here would be a huge achievement, and I hope our team is able to do that. I think in some people's mind, nothing less than getting to the NFC Championship gets the monkey off the team's back, but I see that as nonsense. This Cowboys team had a historically bad defense just last year and wasn't even in the neighborhood of the playoffs. This turnaround is already a big achievement, and then beating an excellent Niners team should bring nothing but respect. It should, though some will still gripe.

I also think whichever team wins this matchup does have a shot at the Super Bowl.
Sorry, no, beating a WC team does not remove the monkey.

kskboys

Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with mentality. The 07 Giants said "We WILL NOT lose for lack of effort and want to." and they did it. The team has to WANT to, and I don't just mean they "want to win the SB" EVERYONE wants to win the SB, but only a few teams will literally will themselves to a win.
Didn't hurt having one of the best pass rushes the NFL has ever seen. You absolutely need a dominant phase to win it all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ding...ding!

main-qimg-a910b91bbe0b75e960a3ba563206624c-c