The Rams showing Stephen Jones how it’s done

75boyz

Reaction score
They better win it this year! Negative cap, no picks and losing a ton of players

No knock on them. I’m all in to win it one season

Gotta agree, while I liked the OP it is a textbook ALL or Nothing type situation concerning those other roster building factors you mention here.

It's just the Jones have failed doing it both ways. The most recent more conservative approach and then the failed Brandon Carr experiment which caused Stephen to forevermore be stingy on FA contracts.

They can't win for losing, lol.

Good post.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Front Office's job is to look for every available avenue to improve the roster.

Stephen acts like an accountant who only cares about balancing the books. It's not that it's unimportant, but it's also not the point. The NFL and you know, actual accountants, can do that. Your job is talent acquistion.

When your team is down in the 4th quarter, cap room and compensatory picks that are 2 drafts away do nothing to help you win.

Great post...........that is why Stephen is sitting on the couch watching the big boys play, he aint in their league.

Creeper

Reaction score
Speaking of OBJ, I was thinking what a difference a QB can make in the career or a WR. OBJ was doing nothing for Cleveland. He gets to the Rams and they start throwing him the football and he is making plays. Keep this in mind when speaking about the Cowboys WRs. Dak is playing like Baker Mayfield lately.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
This team hasnt won a championship in over 25 years, you wouldnt risk 2-3 lean years to win it all now?
I love how the Rams have gone all-in and who cares if they suck for the next 2-3 years if they can make a bowl run this year.

Its like if I asked you if the Cowboys make a SB run next year, but then miss the playoffs the next 3 seasons after that, would you take that deal? Hell yes I would, and the Cowboys would not even have to win the SB, just make it to the SB and I would trade four 6-10 seasons for that.

Or we can keep doing what we have always done, go with bargin free agents and draft picks and never get past the Div round for 26 years.
If they win a SB, it's worth it. If they come up short, it wasn't.
Rams haven't won the SB yet. I prefer the perennial contender model like we see with about 1/2 dozen teams in the NFL. Also, the Rams have solidified the most important position with a high quality player in FA. The FA route likely doesn't work without that box checked.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be gun shy in free agency/trading is just stupid.

you want a guy? Go get him. Just make sure he fits your system

Stafford
Ramsey
Obj
Von Miller

it takes cojones to run an nfl team and that’s why our boys are on the couch this weekend

The player acquisitions are just part of it the Rams hired a great young head coach. Jerry made the mistake of hiring a washed up fat head who suffered two straight losing seasons with Aaron Rodgers as his QB.

CowboyFFan

Reaction score
Rams haven't won the SB yet. I prefer the perennial contender model like we see with about 1/2 dozen teams in the NFL. Also, the Rams have solidified the most important position with a high quality player in FA. The FA route likely doesn't work without that box checked.
There are no perennial SB contenders unless you are Tom Brady. Most windows last a few years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They are literally in the NFC Championship game. They were in the Super Bowl 3 years ago. We haven't been to either in 26 years.

Trying beats not trying.
They were good without selling the future away for this season. If they win it all, good for them. If they don't...ouch!

Mannix

Reaction score

Stafford
Ramsey
Obj
Von Miller

it takes cojones to run an nfl team and that’s why our boys are on the couch this weekend
Come on now....whats wrong with Nolan Carroll???

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I've said before, the reason why the Cowboys have gone from ultra aggressive many years ago to completely passive in FA and completely ignored the giant void in the middle is because we don't have a real front office capable of evaluating it on a case by case basis. They don't know how to find that value. What's worth it and what isn't . So it's gone from FA good to FA bad. That's all they can do. It takes skill to work the middle.

Every issue keeping this team from winning can be traced back to the two POS who run this team. This is why I refuse to waste time complaining about head coaches like they want me to do. I know what the real problem is and it isn't the coaching.

If you're a fan whose focus has been trying to run every head coach out of town over the years, congratulations for being one of Jerry's soldiers.

Mannix

Reaction score
The Rams went to the SB with Goff and dumped him because they want to win. The Cowboys kept that dope Romo around for decades despite constantly choking. Now they are going to do the same with Dak. This team aint serious about winning
If we had Goff and went to a Super Bowl, he would be on the team for life.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
There are no perennial SB contenders unless you are Tom Brady. Most windows last a few years.
Chiefs, Steelers, Saints, Ravens, Packers, Patriots have been consistent playoff contenders over the years. Miss a year here or there, but they are top notch organizations that know how to win.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Stafford
Ramsey
Obj
Von Miller

That's not going to happen here, Not when the TEN TOE SLOTH is eating all the cap money.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Rams are win now mode and went all in at a future cost. McVay is also a very good coach.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score

Stafford
Ramsey
Obj
Von Miller

Thank goodness Stafford came thru at the end, cause Ramsey was burned during the game.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stafford
Ramsey
Obj
Von Miller

Cajones with an A.....or huevos, to be more direct.

75boyz

Reaction score
I love how the Rams have gone all-in and who cares if they suck for the next 2-3 years if they can make a bowl run this year.

Its like if I asked you if the Cowboys make a SB run next year, but then miss the playoffs the next 3 seasons after that, would you take that deal? Hell yes I would, and the Cowboys would not even have to win the SB, just make it to the SB and I would trade four 6-10 seasons for that.

Or we can keep doing what we have always done, go with bargin free agents and draft picks and never get past the Div round for 26 years.

Strong post also.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Rams went to the SB with Goff and dumped him because they want to win. The Cowboys kept that dope Romo around for decades despite constantly choking. Now they are going to do the same with Dak. This team aint serious about winning
I like they way the 49ers brought in Jimmy Gs replacement and have him waiting in the wings. Jimmy isn't bad but they want more firepower.